Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-27-2013, 04:45 AM

14 posts, read 23,129 times

Advertisements

Hi,
We have a couple of weeks off June 1st-15th. Thinking about going to Hawaii. Is one week in Hawaii and one week in Kuwaii enough to cover both places? I have been to kuwaii many years ago and I know one week is plenty. Not sure about the big island.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2013, 12:50 PM

4,416 posts, read 4,908,923 times
The Big Island is roughly 4,000 square miles and the sites and sights are fairly evenly distributed around it. One week is not long enough.

I would recommend one week on the Kona side and one week on the wet side.

Old 04-27-2013, 01:55 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,917,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by terracore View Post
One week is not long enough.
One week on a single island is more than enough time - one does not need to explore every square inch - a 2 week trip should be at least 2 islands and gives nice variety due to the diversity of the islands.

And op, by the way, it is Kauai.

Old 04-27-2013, 10:16 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,447,082 times
It all depends on what you like to do. There is so much variety of experience available on the Big Island that you can craft a vacation schedule on the island many different ways, depending on your preferences. I've put together travel agendas for friends who had three days to spend here, a week, two weeks... and all were happy with their visits... and all said they wished they had more time here.

Whatever your pleasure... except for hot nightlife or world class surfing... you can probably find it on the Big Island.

If you are looking for athletic outdoor activities, you can snorkel, ride horseback, swim with the dolphins, take ATV tours, zipline through the rain forest, hike the Volcanoes National Park, kayak to remote beaches, etc.

If you like touring historic sites and quaint shops, you could easily spend a week wandering from park to town to village visiting significant places from Hawai'i's past, like the City of Refuge. Personally, I can easily spend a day there. City of Refuge | Aloha Hawaii A half a day shopping along Ali'i Drive in Kona, a half a day shopping in the "cowboy" town of Waimea, and a half a day shopping the old downtown area in Hilo, and you've already blown a whole day right there.

Or maybe you're a foodie, and are interested in checking out where your Kona and Ka'u coffee come from? or macadamia nuts? or artisanal chocolate made from local cocoa? Or gourmet vanilla? Or grassfed beef from one of the oldest and largest cattle ranches in the US? Or dine at prize winning "Island Style" restaurant choices? or taste some wine at the southernmost winery in the US? The Big Island has many delectable and satisfying choices.

Or how about visiting the world class observatories on top of Mauna Kea, or the Vulcanology Museum at Kilauea, or the Iolani Astronomy Center in Hilo, or the Pacific Tsunami Museum. And don't miss the Akatsuka Orchid Gardens just outside of Volcano. Or the sea turtles on the black sand beach at Punulu'u. The rainbows in the mist at Akaka Falls.

Just to mention a few highpoints... You'll find more in any good tour book.

Old 04-28-2013, 05:51 AM

14 posts, read 23,129 times
Not intersted in partying/food. We like outdoor activities and childrens' activities. Thanks for all the replies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island