Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2012, 03:07 PM

2,394 posts, read 5,007,478 times

Advertisements

Hello -- I'm a total Hawaii newbie and I'm going to be visiting the big island for about 4 full days, then taking another day in Oahu to see Pearl Harbor and some other things on that island.

Guess I'm looking for advice on what to do, or maybe some tweaks to what I'm thinking already:

-Would like to drive to the top of Mauna Kea to see the Keck telescope. The website talks about hard to drive to the summit due to lack of air and such. I'm from Colorado, not worried about the elevation, is it as difficult as they say or is that mostly for flat landers? (will be driving some mid-sized rental car)

-Waterfalls, looks like Akaka falls is the big one, are there any others on the big island to see?

-Oahu, going to be there from like 8am-6pm to see Pearl Harbor, not sure how long that takes, is there anything else to squeeze in this time period?

-Volcanos, going to hit the visitor center for the Volcano National Park, are there any tips for people who have done it?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2012, 04:30 PM

5,528 posts, read 12,701,319 times
We moved here from Colorado, Snikt, so I know about driving in the mountains.

1. The road is paved to the visitor's center, then gravel up from there. If you are used to driving on unimproved roads in the Colorado mountains, then you can handle the road. However, the people in charge of maintaining the road would prefer 4-wheel drive vehicles rather than a regular car. We drove a sedan to the top, and it was working very hard to make it up there. Once we moved we take our 4-wheel drive to the top.
2. Suggest you do the four-mile scenic drive north of Hilo and go to the Hawaii Tropical Botanical Garden. Beautiful flowers and some nice waterfalls, altho nothing like Akaka. You could also check out Rainbow Falls in Hilo.
3. Don't know.
4. The Visitor's Center at the Volcano National Park is the tip of the iceberg. You need to plan to spend at least 1/2 a day, if not a full day, in the park. Visit Thurston Lava Tube and the Jaggar Center. Drive down to the end of Chain of Craters Road. Stay into the evening and you can see the red glow from flowing lava. Unfortunately, it's a six mile walk right now to actually see the lava up close, but that can always change.

Will you be staying Kona side or Hilo side? The first time we visited we stayed two nights on each side. Four days is not enough time to experience all the BI has to offer.

Old 01-19-2012, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreaming of Hawaii View Post
We moved here from Colorado, Snikt, so I know about driving in the mountains.

1. The road is paved to the visitor's center, then gravel up from there. If you are used to driving on unimproved roads in the Colorado mountains, then you can handle the road. However, the people in charge of maintaining the road would prefer 4-wheel drive vehicles rather than a regular car. We drove a sedan to the top, and it was working very hard to make it up there. Once we moved we take our 4-wheel drive to the top.
2. Suggest you do the four-mile scenic drive north of Hilo and go to the Hawaii Tropical Botanical Garden. Beautiful flowers and some nice waterfalls, altho nothing like Akaka. You could also check out Rainbow Falls in Hilo.
3. Don't know.
4. The Visitor's Center at the Volcano National Park is the tip of the iceberg. You need to plan to spend at least 1/2 a day, if not a full day, in the park. Visit Thurston Lava Tube and the Jaggar Center. Drive down to the end of Chain of Craters Road. Stay into the evening and you can see the red glow from flowing lava. Unfortunately, it's a six mile walk right now to actually see the lava up close, but that can always change.

Will you be staying Kona side or Hilo side? The first time we visited we stayed two nights on each side. Four days is not enough time to experience all the BI has to offer.
Thanks for the tips, staying in Hilo itself

Flying out at like 8PM on the 6th day so I technically have at least 4 1/2 days on BI, will do what I can

Old 01-19-2012, 05:11 PM

1,014 posts, read 2,104,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snikt View Post
-Oahu, going to be there from like 8am-6pm to see Pearl Harbor, not sure how long that takes, is there anything else to squeeze in this time period?
I would recommend going there 1st thing, and then seeing how much time you have left. There can be a bit of a wait once you do get there.

Depends on what you like for the time remaining, and whether or not you will have a car. You can get to Pearl Harbor via bus, but it takes a while.

Old 01-19-2012, 10:44 PM

97 posts, read 279,788 times
You may want to drive up the Hamakua coast, it's a very beautiful drive and Waipio valley is fantastic.

Old 01-20-2012, 09:50 AM

3,198 posts, read 13,418,360 times
You absolutely must have a true 4WD to get to the summit (and back down) safely. Scariest road I ever saw!!

Akaka Falls is beautiful, just about my favorite one, I always take visitors there if possible.

Pearl Harbor is worth the visit. You usually have to wait a bit for your turn to see the Arizona but I have been there 2 or 3 times and the only time we had a long wait was 4th of July. I imagine Veteran's Day and Memorial Day would also be very crowded.

I live in Kona, and this is the route Iusually choose to take visitors when going to Volcano. Leaving early, about 7 or 8 a.m. take the southern route from Kona, zip down to SouthPoint for a look from those dramatic cliffs, then Black Sand Beach and you're likely to see sea turtles napping on the coal black sand, then a stop in Naalehu at the bakery for a pit stop and snack, then on to Volcano. Spend 2 or 3 hours there, then leave going towards Hilo, home towards Waimea and you can either continue on the 190 to Kona or drop down to the coast highway via Waikoloa (Hwy 19) or the 250 which takes you across to Hawi, through Kawaihae Harbor and down the highway to Kona. (safer in the dark than the 190).

Old 01-20-2012, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KonaKat View Post
You absolutely must have a true 4WD to get to the summit (and back down) safely. Scariest road I ever saw!!

Akaka Falls is beautiful, just about my favorite one, I always take visitors there if possible.

Pearl Harbor is worth the visit. You usually have to wait a bit for your turn to see the Arizona but I have been there 2 or 3 times and the only time we had a long wait was 4th of July. I imagine Veteran's Day and Memorial Day would also be very crowded.

I live in Kona, and this is the route Iusually choose to take visitors when going to Volcano. Leaving early, about 7 or 8 a.m. take the southern route from Kona, zip down to SouthPoint for a look from those dramatic cliffs, then Black Sand Beach and you're likely to see sea turtles napping on the coal black sand, then a stop in Naalehu at the bakery for a pit stop and snack, then on to Volcano. Spend 2 or 3 hours there, then leave going towards Hilo, home towards Waimea and you can either continue on the 190 to Kona or drop down to the coast highway via Waikoloa (Hwy 19) or the 250 which takes you across to Hawi, through Kawaihae Harbor and down the highway to Kona. (safer in the dark than the 190).
I'm still kind of reading about those roads, is the road to Mauna Loa Observatory any easier? The sites I saw said it can be done in any car. So would Mauna Loa be a more scenic route or Mauna Kea up to the visitor center?

I didn't really think about it when I reserved the car, surprised some of the roads in HI are more inaccessible than some roads in the rocky mountains of CO

I'm going the week before memorial day, so I'm kinda hoping it won't be too busy since kids are still in school and everything too.

I didn't mention it previously, but to BigIslandBum I will be visiting Waipio Valley for sure, looks really cool

Old 01-20-2012, 11:21 AM

5,528 posts, read 12,701,319 times
I don't know of any Mauna Loa Observatory. Out of Hilo, take the Saddle Road, which goes to Kona side between Mauna Loa and Mauna Kea; this is the road that goes to the Mauna Kea Visitors Center and observatories. The only road I know of that goes up Mauna Loa is definitely 4-wheel drive, and the only thing up there is a weather station. The road up to the Mauna Kea Visitors Center is an easy paved road.

Recommend that you check out the Imiloa Astronomy Center in Hilo. It's got lots of astronomy info and Hawaiian history.

The problem with a lot of inaccessible roads in Hawaii is that they are basically beaten down lava, so are very rough. You're driving over rocks that don't break down like those in the Rocky Mountains. There's so much to see that is accessible with a regular car that you don't need to spend the extra money for a 4-wheel drive.

Don't know what sites you are looking at, but one that we like is called Instant Hawaii. I also suggest that you get the book "Hawaii, the Big Island Revealed". Sounds like you need to get yourself a good map.

Old 01-20-2012, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreaming of Hawaii View Post
I don't know of any Mauna Loa Observatory. Out of Hilo, take the Saddle Road, which goes to Kona side between Mauna Loa and Mauna Kea; this is the road that goes to the Mauna Kea Visitors Center and observatories. The only road I know of that goes up Mauna Loa is definitely 4-wheel drive, and the only thing up there is a weather station. The road up to the Mauna Kea Visitors Center is an easy paved road.

Recommend that you check out the Imiloa Astronomy Center in Hilo. It's got lots of astronomy info and Hawaiian history.

The problem with a lot of inaccessible roads in Hawaii is that they are basically beaten down lava, so are very rough. You're driving over rocks that don't break down like those in the Rocky Mountains. There's so much to see that is accessible with a regular car that you don't need to spend the extra money for a 4-wheel drive.

Don't know what sites you are looking at, but one that we like is called Instant Hawaii. I also suggest that you get the book "Hawaii, the Big Island Revealed". Sounds like you need to get yourself a good map.

I will buy a map for sure, that instanthawaii site is the one I was looking at. It looks like you take saddle road and near where it splits off to drive to Mauna Kea, it splits off the other way to drive to Mauna Loa observatory. Once at the observatory it's a few mile hike to the summit

The Mauna Loa Observatory Trail To North Pit And The Summit of Mauna Loa

I'm sure there will be plenty to do, even if I don't do these or they are too much for the rental.

Thanks for the tips

Old 01-20-2012, 02:48 PM

4,416 posts, read 4,940,135 times
A lot of great ideas posted here already.

Don't neglect the Hilo zoo. Not much in the way of animals but, it's FREE and also has a lot of nice botanical things to see. If you're staying in Hilo, it's on the way to the volcano so it's not out of the way.

Kaumana caves (lava tube) is on the way to the observatory coming from Hilo. It's unguided and unlit, so bring 3 sources of light. Unlike the Thurston lava tube which only takes a few minutes to get through, you could spend a lot of time here so take that into consideration since your time is short. Make sure you wear hiking boots or sturdy shoes, preferably something with at least a little ankle support.

Don't try to plan "too much" to see or else you'll miss the point of your vacation which is to relax. A lot of the things proposed so far are a few hours away from each other, so you will be spending a lot of time in the car. Like somebody already said 4 days is not long enough to see it all. Focus.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island