Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2008, 01:39 PM

531 posts, read 1,982,760 times

Advertisements

Hello all,
I've been reading a lot of your posts in anticipation of our upcoming trip to the Big Island in November/early December. NO, we won't be looking to buy a house and stay! So y'all can relax.

We are outdoor people. We want to: see the lava flows especially at night, visit the Volcanos National Park, go to Mauna Kea, watch stars (vog allowing, of course), watch folks surfing big waves, hike in the Waipio Valley, maybe swim in a heated tidal pool or two, Akaka Falls.... I've done my research!

Where are the best places for us to stay? I was thinking of staying in one place for two weeks and then in another for the third week. We probably don't want to spend the entire time in a heavily vogged area so perhaps the Waipio Valley would be good? We are not the least interested in the Kona resort areas.

I've been looking at vrbo.com at rental houses and of course am very confused by all the town names with all the vowels--they all look alike after a while and I'm having a hard time finding many of them on the map!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2008, 02:03 PM

1,046 posts, read 4,896,146 times
Default Whew!

I thought we were going to have to accommodate another new citizen! (Kidding!)

I live on Maui and have only stayed in Kona, but I was looking around some BI stuff a few weeks ago and came across a bungalow called "Cliff House" in the Waipio Valley. It looked stunning to me -- I've never been, of course. But your mentioning that you were outdoors-types made me think you might like it.

Also noted your username and (in case you care) they make some wicked good goat cheese at the Hawaii Island Goat Farm up on the Hamakua coast, near the sweet hamlet of Honokaa. (Not to throw too many vowels at you, of course.) Lots of great produce at the markets around Waimea, too.

You'll get other great recommendations, too, no doubt from regular posters who live on the Big Island. Enjoy your trip -- it's beautiful there.

Old 06-28-2008, 02:20 PM

2,081 posts, read 5,596,327 times
Everything you want to see is on the Hilo side. Most hotels in Hilo are mediocre at best. There are no rentals in Waipio that I know of, only nearby. The Cliffhouse site states it is 1000' above Waipio valley. It is a long hike to the beach. There are many oceanfront and near-ocean properties listed on VRBO, but many have no ocean access, just cliffs into the water. I would suggest Kapoho at the east tip of the island. The air is usually the purest there, easy ocean access and it has heated tidepools to swim in. Be aware there is growing concern about bacteria in the water in all tidepools here. Kapoho's actual address is Pahoa, zip 96778.

Old 06-28-2008, 02:25 PM

649 posts, read 3,444,029 times
Sounds like my vacation in 2005. Be careful, that started something that is about to come to a head (like a pimple) - I'm moving to Kauai in 20 days!

Anyway, we stayed in a wonderful house on the very east end of the island, in a place called Kapoho. The Kapoho tidepools have great snorkeling, and they were a short walk from the house. Search on VRBO for something out there, maybe you'll find it.

We drove over to the west (Kona) side of the island one day, took another day trip up to Waipio, and spent one day and most of another exploring various parts of the volcano. We hiked out to see the lava flowing at night (this was when there were surface flows within the park, it was a long and grueling hike but well worth it - things are different now, you'll have to see what's possible), saw the crater itself, the Thurston lava tube, the petroglyphs. One thing we missed was Kealakekua (not sure of spelling) Bay - we only had about 8 days and didn't get there. But my sister and niece had an extra day and took kayaks out in that area, around Captain Cook and "K" bay, and said it was wonderful and the snorkeling was great.

(That's funny - Leilaniguy and I posted about Kapoho at the same time! great minds think alike...)

Just a few ideas. And be careful, you might get hooked...

Last edited by Sweetbeet; 06-28-2008 at 02:27 PM.. Reason: funny coincidence discovered after posting

Old 06-28-2008, 02:28 PM

2,282 posts, read 4,059,766 times
Our trip was quite different - as we cashed in a 6-night award stay in the Waikoloa area.

However we added on two nights at a VRBO in the Volcano Village area. It was invaluable having that close location for doing early morning and late evening touring of the lava flows, as well as getting to see other sights in the national park.

This has been several years ago, but the rates were quite good at that time.

Old 06-28-2008, 02:33 PM

5,529 posts, read 12,666,240 times
I recommend the book "Hawaii, The Big Island Revealed".

On the Kona side, be sure to visit the Place of Refuge. Historical place that also has a great beach. You can snorkel in Kealakekua Bay while you are there.

Last edited by 7th generation; 06-28-2008 at 05:28 PM.. Reason: Please, no solicitation on the board. Use DM feature to contact other members. Thanks.

Old 06-28-2008, 03:07 PM

1,375 posts, read 6,303,217 times
From the ideas you are considering for activities, you will probably want a few days near Volcano Village (many B&Bs to choose from) and a few days at Kapoho. The thing about Kapoho is the distance from Hilo and access to some of the things you are going to want to do. It sounds like you will want to spend a good bit of time somewhere along the Hamakua coast. Then, if you want to make the drive to the white, sandy beaches or even on south of Kona for a day-trip, you won't be facing several hours of driving.

If you can use Google Earth, try mapping a few of the place names and look at the drive times from place to place.

Old 06-29-2008, 01:08 AM

37 posts, read 185,492 times
In December, I stayed at a vacation rental near Laupahoehoe vrbo #124481. It was breathtaking. The owner's have 2 vacation rentals - one on each side of their larger home. There is lush vegetation between the homes - you won't hear or see anyone else unless you want to. We stayed in the Bamboo House. They also have the Mango House. The photos of the Bamboo House are dated on their website. The home is much better in person than the photos show. This area is in a good spot to see the waterfalls, go north to the Waipio Valley, west to the resorts and beaches, or south into Hilo. I highly recommend it. I was sad to leave. I've been searching for a property to buy just like it. No luck yet.

Old 06-29-2008, 04:14 AM

531 posts, read 1,982,760 times
Thank you thank you for your kind and informative responses! The goat farm is on The List! Staying at least a few days near the lava flows in order to be convenient to night viewing is also a good idea. I believe I had taken "The Big Island Revealed" out of the library last fall. I will have to get it again.

The rental car companies all seem to say that we aren't allowed to drive a rental on the Saddle Road. Good lord, how else are we expected to cross the island? And, how bad can it be? I grew up in NH where a lot of the roads are rutted gravel roads, winding and a bit steep. I think I can pilot a rental safely along something like that. Any suggestions?

Old 06-29-2008, 05:49 AM

2,282 posts, read 4,059,766 times
We did the Saddle Road. I think if you break down you are in a heap of trouble.

But for me it was worth the "gamble."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island