Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2008, 10:39 AM

5,529 posts, read 12,669,721 times

Advertisements

The Saddle Road is just fine. On the Kona side it gets a bit narrow, but we've driven our rental cars on it many, many times. Of course, you can always "cross the island" by driving around either the north end or the south, both of which are very scenic. It's probably quicker driving around the north end.

Go buy yourself a copy of the Big Island Revealed and take it with you on your trip. It's worth it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2008, 01:51 PM

1,375 posts, read 6,304,014 times
And be sure your edition is the most current. We used our old one a few months back when looking for an entrance to a trail only to find that the information was inaccurate. There have been many changes, especially on the West side/Kohala coast, over the last few years.

Old 06-30-2008, 07:58 AM

8 posts, read 31,713 times
Goat

Saddle road is not that bad, there are some rough sections, mostly on the Kona side, but better than the gravel road out the backside of Hana on Maui, however if you want to do Mauna Kea and Waipio Valley rent a Jeep, that should alieviate that problem.

I have taken both car and pickup truck rentals over saddle (shhhh) and up to to about 10,000 ft level of Mauna Kea (I only stopped because I got very lite headed). Unless you walk you will need a jeep for Waipio Valley the access road is exteamly steep.

Ahoha

Old 06-30-2008, 01:28 PM

118 posts, read 671,964 times
If you are also possibly considering moving around a bit, check out these B&B's on the web and see if they interest you: The Hobbit House outside Na'alehu (#1 choice!); The Dolphin Motel in Hilo; Arts & Orchids in Orchidland; The Volcano House outside Volcano Village; Arnett's Lodge outside Hilo. These are some of our favorites for several reasons: clean; mostly reasonable rates; helpful owers and staff; great locations; etc. I would avoid the Dragonfly Ranch (on the west coast) - it wasn't clean in our opinion.

At this moment, I can't remember where we stayed in Waimea or near Waipao, but they were both great B&B's also.

We travelled around to get a feel of the whole island as we really wanted to see everything possible first before we settled into the Hilo area for about two weeks; it was the best thing we ever did!

I agree with the other writer that Saddle Road is not so bad. We drove a 4 door (not 4 Wheel Drive!) Chrysler 300 with an 8 month old boy & my wife 6 months pregnant over the Saddle with no complaints. Just don't go over the speed limit, and if you see a pothole, slow down. I think the terrible reputation of the Saddle Rd is highly exaggerated so that more people will spend more money renting 4 wheel drives; it's unnecessary! It's a beautiful drive you should not miss.

Old 07-06-2008, 07:00 PM

1 posts, read 4,525 times
I was wondering if any of you have suggestions for places to stay in a condo on the Kona side of the Big Island. We will be there in October and would love to snorkel and just relax on a beach. We would like dry and warm. Any thoughts about the names of spots to search for a condo (some place with a kitchen)? We would like to stay near the volcano one night as well. Thanks so much!

Old 07-06-2008, 07:13 PM

7,913 posts, read 933,126 times
a nice place to stay is volcano house it over looks a crater, it will be kinda voggy but a nice place to stay for a night or two. There are alot of vaction reantals in kapoho. The hilo hotels are ok not the nicest place to stay i would suggest satying at a vacation rental instead

Old 07-06-2008, 07:20 PM

7,913 posts, read 933,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jane faulkner View Post
I was wondering if any of you have suggestions for places to stay in a condo on the Kona side of the Big Island. We will be there in October and would love to snorkel and just relax on a beach. We would like dry and warm. Any thoughts about the names of spots to search for a condo (some place with a kitchen)? We would like to stay near the volcano one night as well. Thanks so much!
There is a timeshare called the Wyndham in kailua kona, im pretty sure you can just rent it out for a week or two. it has two bedrooms, two bathrooms and a large deck. it is really nice and only a few minutes to nice snorkeling areas (you might even be able to walk from there).

Old 07-07-2008, 03:16 AM

18,725 posts, read 33,390,141 times
I got some very nice suggestions from Hawaii's Best Bed & Breakfast.

There's Ohia Cottages near Volcano, very pretty.

Also stayed at Hobbit House above Na'alehu- google hobbit house, hawaii. Very wild-looking hand-built house, stunning.

I stayed one night at a b&b straight up from the airport, fantastic view. used to be the Kona Coffee Plantation. I cannot remember the name, but I got all the recommendations from Hawaii Best B&B.

If I remember, the car rental company wouldn't cover the car insurance if we drove up Mauna Loa.

Old 08-05-2008, 07:56 PM

15 posts, read 57,517 times
cynmkolohe,
I just joined this forum today. I have read several of your posts and admire your advice. My wife and I are taking a 2 week trip to HI in 11/08. I plan to spend at least 1 week in the Big Island, and I am most drawn to the Puna area. I would like to talk with you prior and meet you while we are there. Can you send me your contact information?
Thank you, Jake

Old 08-05-2008, 08:51 PM

1,375 posts, read 6,304,014 times
Hi Jake,

I sent a direct message with my contact info. Welcome to the forum!

With aloha,

Cynthia
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island