Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2013, 08:32 PM

1,730 posts, read 3,811,612 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan95 View Post
How would the tuition be neraly be $80k per year if it's 9,324 per semester? wouldn't it be more like approximately $20k per year ( not including housing and living costs)?
As pointed out in a later posting by another member, the $80K represents the four years that the degree will require. You did know that it takes four years if you utilize the UH Hilo program, not one?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2013, 10:21 PM

11,053 posts, read 24,038,603 times
Well, if you have relatives in Hawaii, perhaps you could move over to Hawaii and live here for a year to become a resident of the state and then get in-state tuition costs. That's less expensive than out of state tuition. I think (I'm not certain) that going to school here doesn't count as time towards a residency. Find out what the residency requirements are and perhaps it might be a lot less expensive to visit your relatives in Hawaii (providing you have them, of course) for a year before applying for school?

Old 07-24-2013, 10:27 PM

28 posts, read 40,397 times
Quote:
Well, if you have relatives in Hawaii, perhaps you could move over to Hawaii and live here for a year to become a resident of the state and then get in-state tuition costs. That's less expensive than out of state tuition. I think (I'm not certain) that going to school here doesn't count as time towards a residency. Find out what the residency requirements are and perhaps it might be a lot less expensive to visit your relatives in Hawaii (providing you have them, of course) for a year before applying for school?
I wish I do, but I don't when I said I will be more closer to my family that are not living in the states, yes. I meant Asia.
From what I learned so far, I guess I would have to rethink about moving there! I still have some time till applications come out so I will do some more research before I make any decisions...

Old 07-24-2013, 11:34 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,443,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotzcatz View Post
There's more to it than that. Living here for a year to get in-state tuition only works if you are self-supporting, and you have live in Hawai'i for at least a year before the start of the school year with the intention to become a resident. You cannot be financially supported by your parents (unless they live in Hawai'i), or even show up as a deduction on their taxes.

Last edited by OpenD; 07-25-2013 at 12:08 AM..

Old 07-25-2013, 12:01 AM

Establishing Residency in the State of Hawaiʻi for Tuition Purposes
UH Manoa Undergraduate Admissions: Financing Options: Hawaii Residency Requirements

Old 07-25-2013, 01:00 AM

12,120 posts, read 17,914,289 times
Quote:
I wish I do, but I don't when I said I will be more closer to my family that are not living in the states, yes. I meant Asia.
I think my favorite misconception of Hawaii is our " closer proximity to Asia". From the West Coast the flight time to most places in Asia isn't much of a difference. You save a little more than an hour to Tokyo from HNL rather than Seattle.

New Zealand or Australia, there you save 5 hours since the mainland flights fly over Hawaii in case of problems so you do get a savings there.

Old 07-25-2013, 01:10 AM

3,740 posts, read 3,071,820 times
Quote:
Hi. I currently live in Austin, Texas and will be a rising senior this fall.
I am interested in going to college at U of Hawaii Hilo next fall as a nursing major.
I read some reviews about hilo, and about the campus and I saw several sayings about how the campus and the island itself can be dangerous... Is this true?

Also, how is the campus if anyone knows? Are there nice swimmable beaches there?

Any advices or opinions will be appreciated!
Thanks in advance!
As one who has spent time in Hilo and was born in Texas, I offer that you are better off in Texas. Texas is going places with strong leadership, common sense policies. and people who know the difference between Progress and "Progressive".

Hawaii, OTOH, is a nowhere place, going nowhere slow, full of nowhere people and nowhere policies. It is going nowhere so slow they even coined a phrase for their backwardness -"Hawaii Time". The only good part is the ocean. The population are dullards and counter-culture nuts with a few regular mainlanders working for DOD thrown in. Once they quit growing cane and pineapples, they were through.

And remember, no matter whose in Austin Bob Wills is still the King!!!!

Old 07-25-2013, 01:44 AM

Posted in another Hawaii forum:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin Rossi View Post
I post on this forum because I , in my mind, but not involving famility etc. there, have a "connection" to, a fondness for Hawaii, and a strong desire to retire on the BI.
Posted in this Hawaii forum:
Quote:
Hawaii, OTOH, is a nowhere place, going nowhere slow, full of nowhere people and nowhere policies. It is going nowhere so slow they even coined a phrase for their backwardness -"Hawaii Time". The only good part is the ocean. The population are dullards and counter-culture nuts with a few regular mainlanders working for DOD thrown in. Once they quit growing cane and pineapples, they were through.
So, is it a fondness for Hawaii, or a belief that Hawaii is full of nowhere people that are backward? Doesn't sound so fond to me ...

Old 07-25-2013, 02:02 AM

1,872 posts, read 2,816,565 times
Quote:
As one who has spent time in Hilo and was born in Texas, I offer that you are better off in Texas. Texas is going places with strong leadership, common sense policies. and people who know the difference between Progress and "Progressive".

It sounds like Robin is saying goodbye.

Maybe I'll stop by the Texas forum sometime to see how you are doing.

Aloha!

Old 07-25-2013, 08:35 AM

Location: not sure, but there's a hell of a lot of water around here!
2,682 posts, read 7,574,655 times
Quote:
You won't find me there, you will find me here, perpetually expressing my opinion (extremely low) of America's rectum.
A political proctologist!!!!! Just what Hawaii needs!!!! However, with your head firmly planted so far up your own, how can you possibly observe any others for analysis??????

kuina'o oe Jeffington
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island