Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2014, 06:04 PM

11,053 posts, read 24,031,211 times

Advertisements

Maybe all this is why Honokaa is putting in town wide wi-fi. Of course, Honokaa is more concentrated than Puna so their subscribers aren't miles from each other.

Not only are we in Honokaa, but we got the cable guy as a neighbor. Woot!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2014, 07:23 PM

1,615 posts, read 2,142,497 times
I have a similar need for high speed internet. I have been taking with a real estate agent and emphasized that I must have high speed Internet but could be anywhere on the east side of the island. His response is limit your search to Hilo. As others mentioned, you may theoretically be able to get Internet all over, but if you need it for sure, look in Hilo.

Old 03-23-2014, 09:14 PM

11,053 posts, read 24,031,211 times
It probably has to do with population density to even make it available and then distance and lines for the rest of it. Most of the lines to and from Puna/Pahoa would be running along the side of the Keaau-Pahoa road, wouldn't it? That's about the only right-of-way they have through that area for most utilities, isn't it? Not, of course, that there are all that many utilities to go anywhere, but if there were, that's where they'd be, no? Might be why its so limited, kinda matches the roads in and out of the area.

Yup, Hilo should have better coverage for just about everything. Well, except days without rain, but most times there's some sun to go with so it's not a dreary rain.

Old 03-24-2014, 12:02 AM

6 posts, read 16,842 times
Funny,
I'm not convinced that there's a GOOD reason for any of this; all I'm getting is that the internet providers are unwilling and resistant to filling the demand for their services. Even funnier when you realize that internet travels in phone lines but just because you have a phone.......
The outlook is dismal folks but thank you all for your resounding clarification of the cluster fork that is Hawaiian internet service;
since any location listing internet access would be stripped of that service the second the service was cancelled by the selling owner and the number of places that even list it aren't sufficient to satisfy the rest of the requirements, but without DSL the whole thing is dead in it's tracks.

Old 03-24-2014, 12:12 AM

3,752 posts, read 11,512,221 times
No, there really isn't a good business reason why either Oceanic or Hawaiian Telcom wouldn't bother to invest some money in order to garner additional and willing paying customers, by the possible thousands.

Don't despair, but do remember to do your due diligence before renting or buying. Some areas have cable internet, some DSL, some both, some have varied combinations.

Old 03-24-2014, 12:35 AM

6 posts, read 8,840 times
I was surprised to find out myself that Internet access was spotty at best. It seems crazy with the population density out here in the area that oceanic wont do something.

I finally managed to get a wireless connection which seems to work better than and cheaper than my phone Internet. But even so, the wireless ISP's dont cover everywhere.

Old 03-24-2014, 02:19 PM

24 posts, read 26,474 times
The Dept. of Commerce has a Hawaiian Broadband Map project. It doesn't say that you can get service, just where the lines run.

http://bbmap.pdc.org/bbmap/

Old 03-24-2014, 02:28 PM

3,752 posts, read 11,512,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pupule View Post
The Dept. of Commerce has a Hawaiian Broadband Map project. It doesn't say that you can get service, just where the lines run.
http://bbmap.pdc.org/bbmap/

Yep, that's the one. thanks for finding and posting it.

Old 03-24-2014, 05:02 PM

1,615 posts, read 2,142,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Munchi Mike View Post
Funny,
I'm not convinced that there's a GOOD reason for any of this; all I'm getting is that the internet providers are unwilling and resistant to filling the demand for their services. Even funnier when you realize that internet travels in phone lines but just because you have a phone.......
The outlook is dismal folks but thank you all for your resounding clarification of the cluster fork that is Hawaiian internet service;
since any location listing internet access would be stripped of that service the second the service was cancelled by the selling owner and the number of places that even list it aren't sufficient to satisfy the rest of the requirements, but without DSL the whole thing is dead in it's tracks.
Of you think Hawaii is bad you should check out southwestern Virginia. In the Allegeny highlands region only one town Covington has high speed Internet and they also have a paper mill. Not moving there... Mountainous rural areas have the double whammy of sparse population and few places to have line of site for point to point solutions like Aloha broadband.

It seem like Hawaiian politians should make universal access to high speed Internet a requirement for approval of comcast buying Time Warner. And make sure that they pay for the infrastructure before the merger is approved.

Old 03-27-2014, 01:48 PM

6 posts, read 16,842 times
Let me just thank everyone here for their enlightening and depressing input. The agent I have been communicating with from Clark Realty seems to think there's no problem about getting internet but since I have gotten these answers from locals with savvy I must agree with them; since they aren't trying to make a sale. This situation is difficult at best and I thank MDand3boys for her useful tips. The map supplied by Pupule is great and much what I was looking for though a Helco map would likely follow that for a better idea of who actually has juice too, (for modems). With this new info I don't see how I can possibly continue my online property search. The kind of places I like that say internet merely means that they are somewhere on the map showing potential for access and that's about all it tells me. Since promises of hookups in ads are deceptive and local ISP are so devious my efforts are stymied to frustration and cessation. Aloha and Mahalo to all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island