Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2014, 04:50 PM

3,752 posts, read 11,506,708 times

Advertisements

Sorry for the late reply - but if someone wants to move here and needs decent internet, and provided that DSL is actually available where you are moving to; order TWO DSL lines to come into the residence.
You then use a router such as the Cisco Ru082 (about $250) which can handle dual DSL inputs and does load balancing. You will not double your speed, but will double your available bandwidth!

Sure, you will pay for 2 connections, but DSL is kinda cheap anyway. You can also do this with cable but since cable speeds are much faster, I don't really see the benefit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2014, 12:28 PM

1,823 posts, read 2,274,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdand3boys View Post
Sorry for the late reply - but if someone wants to move here and needs decent internet, and provided that DSL is actually available where you are moving to; order TWO DSL lines to come into the residence.
You then use a router such as the Cisco Ru082 (about $250) which can handle dual DSL inputs and does load balancing. You will not double your speed, but will double your available bandwidth!

Sure, you will pay for 2 connections, but DSL is kinda cheap anyway. You can also do this with cable but since cable speeds are much faster, I don't really see the benefit.
That's a great idea for extra speed! Another configuration might be to subscribe to both DSL and Cable Internet (if both are available) and run them into the dual WAN ports for more speed and redundancy in case either the DSL or Cable Internet is down.

Old 04-01-2014, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davephan View Post
That's a great idea for extra speed! Another configuration might be to subscribe to both DSL and Cable Internet (if both are available) and run them into the dual WAN ports for more speed and redundancy in case either the DSL or Cable Internet is down.
That certainly would be a big "if".
As far as additional redundancy, since both types run on the same utility poles to your house, and the typical failure point here is a tree falling on the lines... well... However, using satellite as a failover might not be a bad idea, if you do not require a VPN connection.

Old 04-07-2014, 03:36 AM

6 posts, read 8,833 times
you can also use a mikrotik router for load balancing or failover (bout 50 bux or less) I have used them for years in commercial applications and never regretted them. Some of them like the 750 series have multiple ports which can be used to load balance to 3 or 4 different connections. Little bit easier than the cisco IOS language to program too IMHO.

Love the broadband map link. Just lets me know I am a mere 400 yards away from the cable terminator.

Old 04-08-2014, 01:46 PM

11,049 posts, read 24,017,648 times
No way to put a wireless on the end of the terminal so it would reach to your house? Ask the folks who live at the end of the terminal if you can put a wireless in a box on their property or something? Can a wireless reach 400 yards? Maybe with an antenna? You gotta frequently work outside the box when living on islands.

It took several months, but they did a wire extension at our last house so we'd get service with Time Warner cable.

Old 04-08-2014, 03:55 PM

1,823 posts, read 2,274,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hakware View Post
you can also use a mikrotik router for load balancing or failover (bout 50 bux or less) I have used them for years in commercial applications and never regretted them. Some of them like the 750 series have multiple ports which can be used to load balance to 3 or 4 different connections. Little bit easier than the cisco IOS language to program too IMHO.

Love the broadband map link. Just lets me know I am a mere 400 yards away from the cable terminator.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotzcatz View Post
No way to put a wireless on the end of the terminal so it would reach to your house? Ask the folks who live at the end of the terminal if you can put a wireless in a box on their property or something? Can a wireless reach 400 yards? Maybe with an antenna? You gotta frequently work outside the box when living on islands.

It took several months, but they did a wire extension at our last house so we'd get service with Time Warner cable.
I was also thinking of the same solution. Perhaps you could setup a wireless system at your neighbors house. Maybe you could subscribe to the service as a second account at the same address. Then setup autopay so that you would never have situation occur where you forgot to pay, which could annoy your neighbor. Or, maybe you could subsidize their broadband, or compensate the neighbor in some other way, such as giving them some free food or beer from time to time. You can get pretty long range wireless access points, plus you could use directional antennas and a wireless repeater on the edge of your property.

If you can't work out the agreement with someone close enough, maybe you could work out a deal with someone farther away and use a microwave link, which can travel for miles. The microwave link might cost several thousand dollars to setup. But it's a one time cost on top of the monthly Internet cost. Then you could kick back and enjoy decent Internet broadband speed instead of wishing you had better Internet access.

Old 04-09-2014, 12:45 AM

11,049 posts, read 24,017,648 times
Back in the stone age (prior to cell phones) we did that with telephone service. We were at the end of the phone line, but a lot of folks had CB and ham radios. So folks would phone our house and we'd in turn radio out to their folks to get messages back and forth. Hmm, come to think of it, we were on a party line, too, so I guess that may have been pre-stone age.

Considering the OP was deciding between Ainaloa (which should have cable if not DSL) and Fern Forest (which probably won't have either) I'm guessing he was still at the beginning tire kicking stage of checking out property. I'd not think that someone who was interested in Ainaloa would also be interested in Fern Forest if they were familiar with both "subdivisions".

Old 04-09-2014, 09:01 AM

Yes, you could setup a higher powered wireless. It will cost a few hundred $, not thousands.
You can get several miles of distance as long as you don't have trees and terrain in the way.
I have used this company before, even though their prices are on the high side.

RadioLabs - Radio, Wireless and Beyond -

The key is, you can actually call them and explain what you are trying to accomplish and they will get you a proper setup.

Old 04-17-2014, 07:14 AM

307 posts, read 630,791 times
Is there any issue getting a high speed connection in the Kailua-Kona area? We stayed in a vacation rental there recently that had very good internet and were told it wouldn't be a problem, but this thread has me a bit concerned. Are all the problems limited to the south of the island?

Old 04-22-2014, 09:54 AM

1 posts, read 1,179 times
Great...we are considering Waimea or Kona. Iam skeptical now. anyone have any in put on these areas?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island