Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2014, 06:13 PM

809 posts, read 2,188,952 times

Advertisements

I've a very close friend who was apparently offered a job at a car dealership on Big Island. Frankly I think the guy is nuts. I mean, it's an Island, right? Just how successful is a car dealership on an Island?

Then of course there is the expense of moving there and having enough money to see him through a period of time before he sells cars. The "owner" of the dealership of course told him he could easily make $100,000 to $130,000 a year.

Anyone want to tackle this one? My friend would be moving from the east coast to take this "great" opportunity.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2014, 07:36 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,453,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by second right View Post
I've a very close friend who was apparently offered a job at a car dealership on Big Island. Frankly I think the guy is nuts. I mean, it's an Island, right? Just how successful is a car dealership on an Island?
You'd be surprised. Ever since the tax on goat carts was jacked up a lot of Big Island residents have started buying actual cars.

Hilo side has new car dealerships for Mazda, Suburu, Hyundai; Kia, Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep, Ram; Toyota; Chevrolet; Honda; Nissan; Ford... Kona side has many of those plus BMW. Hilo side has the people, Kona side has the money... the 6 most expensive homes in Hawai'i are here.

Quote:
Then of course there is the expense of moving there and having enough money to see him through a period of time before he sells cars. The "owner" of the dealership of course told him he could easily make $100,000 to $130,000 a year.
The devil is in the details.

Is your friend already an experienced car salesman? Is he adept at dealing with a very diverse clientele, from the shlub in flip-flops and cargo shorts who looks like he can't afford a bus ride home, but who's actually a billionaire looking for a gift for his loyal gardener; to the guy who works two jobs and has his wife with him who also works two jobs so they can pay for the van they need to carry a family of 7 to Sunday School at the Temple and to Costco every other weekend? Is he easy going and relaxed, friendly, and able to play the long game?

If so, maybe. If not, then no way.

More details are needed in order to advise. He's definitely going to need a good grubstake to get over here, get settled, and then survive while he's waiting for business to develop. It's no game for the faint hearted.

Old 04-29-2014, 08:15 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,923,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by second right View Post
The "owner" of the dealership of course told him he could easily make $100,000 to $130,000 a year.
A friend of mine owns a car dealership in the SF Bay Area. While the "top" salespeople can make $100K+ the emphasis is that is the best salespeople (and most don't make that much) - many of which have a repeat customer base. I'd be very wary of the phrase "easily". I'd be hesitant to think they do that much better on the Big Island but I can't say for sure.

Old 04-30-2014, 01:22 AM

11,053 posts, read 24,045,477 times
Well, if he's moving because he wants to live in Hawaii, it's perfect. If he's moving because he wants to make lot of money, then it's probably less than perfect.

How many cars would he have to sell to make that kind of money? How many other salespeople does the dealership have?

I think he won't make that much, but if he's got a solid job offer and he wants to move, why not? You'll then be able to visit him when it gets miserable cold on the mainland, so there's some bright sides to this.

Old 04-30-2014, 02:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotzcatz View Post

How many cars would he have to sell to make that kind of money?
A lot.

If I recall correctly, and I'm pretty sure I'm close, at my friends lot (Volvo dealership) - the big money was often in used cars and the commission was 20% of the profit - with a minimum of $200. Most of the used cars came in on the lot with $5K profit (or more) - so you could make $1K on a single used car (or more) - but the price often got negotiated down or if the car sat awhile - the price of the car would go down, and so would the profit.

New cars had a higher commission as the profit margin was lower - like 30% and a higher minimum, like $500/car.

Then they'd do specials - like sell 3 cars over the weekend, make an extra $500. Or sell a specific car, get $500 extra.

A car generally takes hours to sell - between test drives - negotiating - finance - demo at the end

Old 04-30-2014, 08:51 AM

Thanks for the input folks.

"OpenD" I cannot BELIEVE they raised the taxes on the goat carts AGAIN! When will the madness end?

The guy I am referring to is experienced in car sales and does best with a diverse clientele. He is a genuine and very likable guy (he worked for me years ago while attending college).

I told him I felt he should have at least $10,000 saved to see him through the beginning few months. He is in his early 30's is single and has no children.

"hotzcatz", yes he is considering this because he wants to live in Hawaii.

Thanks again for taking the time to respond everyone.

Old 04-30-2014, 11:27 AM

11,053 posts, read 24,045,477 times
Single, no kids, has a job lined up and wants to live in Hawaii. Don't see any problems here, really, then. He's probably not going to make as much as the dealer says he will, but he will probably make enough to get by in a comfortable manner and the Big Island is much less expensive than Oahu/Honolulu. The Hilo side is less expensive than the Kona side, but if he has a job, it is always best to live as close to work as possible.

Well, as I see it, the biggest problem is your friend will be living a lot further away. Which is frequently what happens with island folks when they become friends with folks who move over from the mainland and then move back again after a few years. They move far away and you don't see them much anymore, which is a huge sadness. Will you be able to visit him when the weather in your area is less than pleasant? With cell phones these days, long distance phone charges no longer really apply so hopefully you'll be able to keep in touch.

As far as moving goes, if your friend pares down what he brings with him, there will be less to move and less things that don't quite fit his new environment. As a car salesperson, he probably has an extensive wardrobe, although around here it is much less formal. No suits, no ties. Lots of aloha shirts - the nice ones - are what car sales folks usually wear. He will probably want to not bring anything made primarily of synthetic materials such as polyester. Fabrics made from natural materials are a lot more comfortable to wear.

No dogs or other pets to bring with him?

I don't suppose you could fly out with your friend for an investigative tour of his proposed new digs? Help him get settled in Hawaii and see how things are in his new home? Maybe you'll end up moving here, too. A lot of folks follow their friends when their friends move to Hawaii so you never know.

Old 04-30-2014, 02:23 PM

He does have an extensive wardrobe with a lot of it consisting of dressy casual. I don't think he owns an aloha shirt but the clothes he owns are mostly natural fiber. He also has an extensive shoe collection from dressy to stylish casual.

No pets to bring over. It would just be him.

I wish I could come over with him but my responsibilities here make that impossible at this time. He's a wonderful young man but sometimes he tends to be impetuous and I, being a kind of mentor, am a planner.

You have been very kind "hotzcatz".

Old 04-30-2014, 08:17 PM

32,664 posts, read 48,091,772 times
A car dealership on Hawaii can't find any local salespersons? They have to import car sales staff from the east coast of the mainland?

I hope that the friend is getting this job offer in writing before he packs up and moves. It all sounds a little hinky to me.

Old 04-30-2014, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post

I hope that the friend is getting this job offer in writing before he packs up and moves.
They don't exactly provide written job offers at car dealerships.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
View detailed profiles of: