Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2014, 01:30 PM

Location: Southernmost tip of the southernmost island in the southernmost state
982 posts, read 1,165,076 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
If I were you, I'd call or email the Honda, Ford, and Toyota dealers on the Big Island regarding service issues - I wouldn't personally buy a car that doesn't have a dealership on the BI. I have zero issues with my hybrid - at least on Oahu, they are extremely common. Hybrids actually do well in Hawaii as the batteries keep the charge better in warm weather as opposed to cold or super hot climates.
Thanks whtviper1, this is the sort of personal experiences (good or bad) I was hoping to hear about.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2014, 02:07 PM

1,823 posts, read 2,278,175 times
I think that hybrids are not the best choice for most people. Gasoline is a small part of operating a motor vehicle. However, gasoline is the most visable part of operating a motor vehicle. Hybrids are more expensive to purchase than non-hybrids. Hybrids have potential very high costs when the batteries need to be replaced. Some hybrids are very small, which gives you a very uncomfortable ride and may sacrifice your safety from injuries. For many people, the numbers don't work out spending the extra money for a hybrid verses a conventional vehicle. You should concentrate on a reliable conventional vehicle that is in good condition.

A step beyond, is the luxury vehicle choice. Most people should not buy luxury vehicles. A wiser choice is to the money into your house or retirement. Cars should be purchased with cash if possible. If not cash, only short term loans, so your loan is not upside down. Leasing is almost always a bad decision for most people. My opinion is you can afford a luxury vehicle (even a new one), if you can buy it with cash, and not miss the money. In other words, if you're not flushed with cash, you can't afford a luxury vehicle. We can afford to buy a new luxury vehicle with cash, but chose not to buy a luxury vehicle because it is not a wise way to spend money, primarily an attempt to simply impress others.

Old 05-28-2014, 02:37 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,917,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davephan View Post
I think that hybrids are not the best choice for most people. Gasoline is a small part of operating a motor vehicle. However, gasoline is the most visable part of operating a motor vehicle. Hybrids are more expensive to purchase than non-hybrids. Hybrids have potential very high costs when the batteries need to be replaced. Some hybrids are very small, which gives you a very uncomfortable ride and may sacrifice your safety from injuries. For many people, the numbers don't work out spending the extra money for a hybrid verses a conventional vehicle. You should concentrate on a reliable conventional vehicle that is in good condition.
I can't agree with that statement. I'll take the car I know - mine.

The ES350 starts at $36,620 while the Hybrid version starts at $39,500.

It is roughly the same size as a BMW 7-series, so by no means small.

ES350 is 21 MPG City, 31 Highway. ES300h is 40 MPG City, 39 Highway.

I don't know what Big Island commute the poster is planning, but lets take Oahu as an example.

A commuter going from Kapolei to Downtown (about 23 miles each way) is going to put 12,000 miles on the car per year give or take, but probably more. Most of those miles will be City miles, in bumper to bumper traffic. The hybrid premium is going to have payback in Year 3, again give or take. And let's not forget, no emissions when the battery is powering the car.

As far as batteries or the hybrid system, the warranty is 8 years/100,000 miles.

You can also get a Lincoln MKZ, with only a $1,000 premium - the Hybrid gets a whopping 45 City and 45 Highway versus 22 City and 33 Highway for the gas only model, and starts $1,500 cheaper than Lexus.

Old 05-28-2014, 03:17 PM
Due

245 posts, read 380,306 times
Sorry to disagree Dave, we like our luxury vehicle and full size pickup: will keep them for now.
The lux gets 31 mpg on the freeway: the pickup considerably less.

We might consider a hybrid or electric..... someday.

Old 05-28-2014, 08:53 PM

It sounds like as of now, from those that have weighed in, there are no BI stressors that negativel affect a hybrid. And I also gather that service and maintenance is readliy available. So then, it really comes down to the payback issue, will I drive enough miles to offset the premium. Well time to crunch tose numbers.

And as for the luxury car issue? My wife wouldn't part with her Acura, so it is in transit. I on the other hand am a realist, I like the beach and have the impression that BI life may be a bit more wear on my car than what I experience in California. As much as I would have loved to bring my Lexus along, I just wouldn't want to see it get beaten all to hell.
So it goes and will be replaced with an island beater of some type.

Thanks all for your input and advice.

Old 05-29-2014, 05:39 AM

Location: not sure, but there's a hell of a lot of water around here!
2,682 posts, read 7,574,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grassyknoll View Post
I on the other hand am a realist, I like the beach and have the impression that BI life may be a bit more wear on my car than what I experience in California. As much as I would have loved to bring my Lexus along, I just wouldn't want to see it get beaten all to hell.

Thanks all for your input and advice.
You've got the wrong Island if you like the beach

Old 05-29-2014, 06:45 AM

1,823 posts, read 2,278,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
I can't agree with that statement. I'll take the car I know - mine.

The ES350 starts at $36,620 while the Hybrid version starts at $39,500.

It is roughly the same size as a BMW 7-series, so by no means small.

ES350 is 21 MPG City, 31 Highway. ES300h is 40 MPG City, 39 Highway.

I don't know what Big Island commute the poster is planning, but lets take Oahu as an example.

A commuter going from Kapolei to Downtown (about 23 miles each way) is going to put 12,000 miles on the car per year give or take, but probably more. Most of those miles will be City miles, in bumper to bumper traffic. The hybrid premium is going to have payback in Year 3, again give or take. And let's not forget, no emissions when the battery is powering the car.

As far as batteries or the hybrid system, the warranty is 8 years/100,000 miles.

You can also get a Lincoln MKZ, with only a $1,000 premium - the Hybrid gets a whopping 45 City and 45 Highway versus 22 City and 33 Highway for the gas only model, and starts $1,500 cheaper than Lexus.
Thanks for your response! Your mileage is much better than we see in Minnesota for hybrids, this is probably due to the much warmer weather. Batteries are very inefficient when it gets cold. For example, I heard the Chevy Volt has a battery range of about 4 miles in the winter because the batteries are inefficient and a lot of power is consumed by the electric heater. Gasoline is not the main cost for most motor vehicles, however, it is the most visible cost.

I still disagree with buying luxury cars, at least for myself. I cannot see putting that much money into a rapidly depreciating asset. The most important factor to me in a motor vehicle is reliability. If a vehicle isn't reliable, you're walking. I would never consider buying a BMW, Mercedes, Jaguar, Porsche, Cadillac, or Lincoln, since they are not very reliable compared to their high purchase cost.

Many people that put the extra money into a luxury vehicle buy it with a long term loan, so their car loan is upside down. Worse yet, some lease the luxury vehicle. Leasing is almost always a bad deal for most individuals, and should be avoided. I buy my Toyotas new with cash, but drive them for 12 to 15 years.

What are you going to do when the Lexus is getting close to 8 years? Maybe you buy new cars more often that every 8 years. There are people who buy new cars every 2 - 3 years, however those people normally have to wait longer to retire, unless they have very high income.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Due View Post
Sorry to disagree Dave, we like our luxury vehicle and full size pickup: will keep them for now.
The lux gets 31 mpg on the freeway: the pickup considerably less.

We might consider a hybrid or electric..... someday.

A luxury vehicle is worth the extra cost for you. However, some people that can't afford luxury vehicles buy them with long term upside down loans or worse yet, leases! I've not been able to justify buying a luxury vehicle for myself even though I can afford to buy a new luxury vehicle with cash.

I saw many huge jacked up pickup trucks driving around the Big Island and Maui. I didn't notice as many driving around Oahu though. Those huge jacked up pickup trucks must be consuming a gallon for only about 12 - 13 miles. That very low mileage is going to take a toll on the budget, unless they don't drive much or they have a lot of income or have a high net worth.

Old 05-29-2014, 07:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jungjohann View Post
You've got the wrong Island if you like the beach
Jungjohann,
No, I nailed it. You'll notice I said beach, not beaches .
I know the BI has one good one, that is so far, said to be cannibal free.

Old 05-29-2014, 07:21 AM
Due

245 posts, read 380,306 times
Quote:
Jungjohann,
No, I nailed it. You'll notice I said beach, not beaches .
I know the BI has one good one, that is so far, said to be cannibal free.
Funny!

Old 05-29-2014, 10:30 AM

2,624 posts, read 7,261,636 times
Quote:
It sounds like as of now, from those that have weighed in, there are no BI stressors that negativel affect a hybrid. And I also gather that service and maintenance is readliy available. So then, it really comes down to the payback issue, will I drive enough miles to offset the premium. Well time to crunch tose numbers.

And as for the luxury car issue? My wife wouldn't part with her Acura, so it is in transit. I on the other hand am a realist, I like the beach and have the impression that BI life may be a bit more wear on my car than what I experience in California. As much as I would have loved to bring my Lexus along, I just wouldn't want to see it get beaten all to hell.
It sounds like you plan to live on the Kona side of the Big Island.

Hybrids from Toyota, Honda, Nissan, and Ford are fine. However, if you don't have one already it's probably not that cost-effective, unless you plan to drive a lot or keep it for more than 5 years. Many unmodified vehicles on the Big Island tend to get better gas mileage on the Big Island than in California because of the different ethanol blend and less "stop-and-go" traffic. For instance, my 4WD SUV averaged 16 miles per gallon in Southern California; however, after shipping it to the Big Island, it averages 23 miles per gallon.

Most luxury and near-luxury marques, such as Mercedes, Porsche, Lexus, Acura, Jaguar, BMW, Lincoln, and Cadillac are okay for the Kona side as well; however, for service and maintenance issues you might have to go to an independent shop, like RAGS German Auto or JAWS (Japanese Auto Works & Service).

As long as you avoid unpaved roads and keep your vehicles properly washed, waxed, and garaged they won't get "beaten all to hell" on the Big Island.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island