Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2014, 11:09 PM

11,053 posts, read 24,038,603 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by terracore View Post
In the 90's I had a sporty Honda Civic CRX that got 49 MPG highway and it wasn't a hybrid, and was actually affordable to buy and maintain. What happened?
Yup, we had one, too. Pretty much no matter what you did with it, the thing got 35 mpg or more. We had a tow hitch on ours and would tow a small trailer and it still got real decent gas mileage. It was switched out for a 4WD and I still miss the Civic. Our was just the regular Snivic, not the sporty CRX. The Accordian got decent mileage, too.

I'm guessing the cars didn't weigh as much as the current batch of Hondas and that was back before they added the ethanol to gasoline.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2014, 09:27 PM

1 posts, read 762 times
Watch out for the late 90's Toyota trucks. Frame rot (rust) was a problem.

Many on the BI have a truck and a small commuter car. No certain make or model. Hard to find a good deal on trucks and economy cars. Commuters rack up high miles and new cars are island priced...expensive! I saw a new truck on display marked up almost 2k for a geographic charge. Seems dealers find all kinds of excuses to mark up their product.

In Waimea, diesel trucks are common. I don't know why. Fuel is very expensive and most that I see have empty beds, maybe a surfboard or two.

Aloha
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island