Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2014, 07:13 AM

Location: Southernmost tip of the southernmost island in the southernmost state
982 posts, read 1,167,166 times

Advertisements

Looking at what cars are good choices to bring to the BI.
I already have my wife's caren-route via Matson and am looking at shipping a second. Seems like a Toyota mini-truck with the inline 4 is probably a no-brainer as a good BI choice. Likewise, if I don't need a truck, a Corolla or Civic might be a good choice.

My question is specifically regarding hybrids. The thought of bringing overa hybrid car (Toyota Prius/Ford C-Max etc...) has crossed my mind But wouldthis be a poor choice? Does humidity or Vog take a premature toll on thecomponentry? Would service be an issue? Hybrids have become common here in California,but on my visits to the islands and specifically BI, I don’t recall seeing many(though, to be fair, looking for them wasn't on my radar at the time).

And if a hybrid is in fact a poor choice, which of the high mpg compacts seems to be the island champ?
I ask as I usually buy cars for the long-run and will often work on my own. When sourcing repair parts, the availability of local "donor cars" is an important consideration.

Any thoughts or personal experiences would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2014, 07:43 AM

74 posts, read 83,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grassyknoll View Post

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Another live one

Old 05-28-2014, 08:45 AM
Due

245 posts, read 380,610 times
We know someone here who owns a Prius: get's lousy mileage because the hills, mountains, etc. require the gas engine to kick in often. It's also struggles up some mountains.

Don't ask what we drive....

Best of luck with your search.

Old 05-28-2014, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe_D View Post
Another live one
Not sure what is meant here Joe_D. But thank you for your thoughful contribution to my inquiry.

Old 05-28-2014, 11:27 AM

12,120 posts, read 17,930,312 times
To bad they don't sell Lexus over on the Big Island. I have a ES300h, rated 41 City/40 Highway, takes regular gas - over the life of the car, the lifetime MPG is over 38 - When I'm in town, I take a very steep hill/mountain - Pali Highway or H3, and while the MPG suffers going up, what goes up must come down so it nearly balances out. And never have a power problem passing cars going up the hill. I'd highly recommend that model to anyone.

They sell Honda's, Toyota's, and Ford's over on the BI, take a test drive - you'll be fine.

Old 05-28-2014, 12:00 PM

2,081 posts, read 5,601,716 times
You don't say where on BI you'll be living- country or city side. If in the country you'll probably be needing a truck.

Old 05-28-2014, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
To bad they don't sell Lexus over on the Big Island. I have a ES300h, rated 41 City/40 Highway, takes regular gas - over the life of the car, the lifetime MPG is over 38 - When I'm in town, I take a very steep hill/mountain - Pali Highway or H3, and while the MPG suffers going up, what goes up must come down so it nearly balances out. And never have a power problem passing cars going up the hill. I'd highly recommend that model to anyone.

They sell Honda's, Toyota's, and Ford's over on the BI, take a test drive - you'll be fine.
whtviper, would you say there are no real issues to be concerned of regarding a hybrid's added complexity and vog/humidity/servicing on the BI?

I can bring about any car I want from the mainland; but if there are issues with servicing, parts availability or otherwise, I just want to factor that in. Whatever car I bring will be driven into the ground, and the longer that takes, the better. If a hybrid is a good fit, and I don't hear otherwise, I may go that route as mpg is a major driving force in my decision making.
And yes, I know there are also plenty of non-hybrid cars getting close to 40 mpg too.

Old 05-28-2014, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grassyknoll View Post
whtviper, would you say there are no real issues to be concerned of regarding a hybrid's added complexity and vog/humidity/servicing on the BI?

I can bring about any car I want from the mainland; but if there are issues with servicing, parts availability or otherwise, I just want to factor that in. Whatever car I bring will be driven into the ground, and the longer that takes, the better. If a hybrid is a good fit, and I don't hear otherwise, I may go that route as mpg is a major driving force in my decision making.
And yes, I know there are also plenty of non-hybrid cars getting close to 40 mpg too.
If I were you, I'd call or email the Honda, Ford, and Toyota dealers on the Big Island regarding service issues - I wouldn't personally buy a car that doesn't have a dealership on the BI. I have zero issues with my hybrid - at least on Oahu, they are extremely common. Hybrids actually do well in Hawaii as the batteries keep the charge better in warm weather as opposed to cold or super hot climates.

Old 05-28-2014, 01:23 PM
Due

245 posts, read 380,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post

There is also a BMW dealership on BI (Kona) now.

Old 05-28-2014, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Due View Post
There is also a BMW dealership on BI (Kona) now.
Well - the 3-Series Hybrid only gets 25MPG in the city, but at 335 horsepower, you won't find power problems, and the base model starts at $49,900, so it'll get pricey with options.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island