Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2014, 01:21 AM

12,120 posts, read 17,899,929 times

Advertisements

Inevitably, we'll hear - "I don't shop at Safeway" "I don't use Charmin Tissue" "What?? Tide detergent - Never!" "I kill all my own food" "I never ever have processed food" "I never drink alcohol" "I hate milk" and of course, my favorite - "Farmers Market".

But somehow they stay in business with long checkout lines and it is an apples to apples comparison to prices.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2014, 07:09 AM

100 posts, read 227,270 times
I always considered groceries 2x as much in Hawaii, The Safeway Flyer Comparisons confirms it.

Other then farmers markets and the fish markets Hawaii is spendy.

Old 07-17-2014, 01:37 AM

11,050 posts, read 24,020,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
<SNIP>
1. When you buy on sale you have to buy the brand on sale, when it's on sale, in the size on sale, even if those wouldn't be your normal choices, and you have to have room to store it. So you've lost all choice in the matter except yes/no. Not everyone shops for food that way. Regular everyday shopping for what you need, when you need it simply costs more in Hawai'i, as surveys show. <SNIP>
Yeah, this pretty much describes how we shop. If it's deeply on sale, we usually end up with a case of it, even if we aren't quite sure how to cook it. Then, of course, after we figure out how to cook it and make it tasty, we then can't afford to buy it again when it's not on sale. Makes for interesting menus, anyway, as well as adventures in cooking. Epicurious.com is a handy website for recipes, although you're then back to having to buy specific ingredients. Frequently, we will get an idea of how to deal with whatever we have a case of and then start substituting other ingredients from what we have on hand. I don't know if this sort of adventuresome culinary lifestyle would suit a family with young kids or not. Sometimes they are less than flexible in their eating habits.

Old 07-17-2014, 09:29 PM

4,412 posts, read 4,897,043 times
"But didn't you move here from Alaska? So how do you know what the food prices are like in Phoenix?"

I've been to Phoenix recently. And a lot of other major US cities too.

Old 07-19-2014, 01:41 AM

293 posts, read 361,609 times
I am now retired, but for thirty years I was a commercial pilot and flight instructor working for many aviation companies through out the states. Including those yellow planes that you see flying in the Goodyear and PHX area. So, yes, I have lived in the area. I have over fourteen thousand flight hours in both fixed and rotor wing.to

The one thing I found obver the years was in the aviation industry you had to keep moving from airport to airport and town to town because either your job dried up, you had to move to get better equipment, you had to move for better pay, and much more.

With my experience, I was in management about half the time and flying the other part. I too, had five kids, a wife who worked and I was lucky enough to also have a military retirement income for extra support, all medical covered bu military, thus, an expense we did not have to worry about. Still, it was difficult at times to maintain a better than average standard of living.

If he was single, or just the two of you, you might make it. But, not with five growing kids. As they say in the aviation industry, your income will always go up and down. So many variables, WX, equipment working/not working. Influx of tourist etc. One year I spent flying tourest into Mt. St. Helens. Each day you never knew if you would be busy or not.

I suggest staying in Phx. or at least state side.

Old 07-20-2014, 07:44 PM

7 posts, read 10,060 times
Thanks for the response! I think he should stay at his ems gig while it's secure! Flying tours on the BI will always be a dream for him and maybe one day a reality!

Old 07-20-2014, 11:01 PM

293 posts, read 361,609 times
I agree, the best income that I could make in Phx was about $65,000.00, that along with another $2,500.00 income coming in made it a little tight with a family of seven, in a new home and other expenses. But, we made it till the job finally played out and about a hundred of us got layed off. You just never know what's going to happen.

I would stick with the EMS job, build a lot of flight hours after work and on weekends and then see what he can find.

Old 08-15-2014, 06:58 PM

25 posts, read 43,561 times
Wait till the kids are gone from home,
before considering moving to BI.
If you still want to consider here,
and you are thinking of kids in the public school here,
you want to have someone you trust,
investigate what kind of education your kids will get here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island