Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2014, 02:23 PM

6,657 posts, read 7,752,141 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
What does this mean?

What is the English translation for this?
It means my spirit(uhane) leans towards the traditional native beliefs.

E pili mau na pomaika`i ia `oe means May blessings ever be with you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2014, 02:29 PM

Location: not sure, but there's a hell of a lot of water around here!
2,682 posts, read 7,571,252 times
Oh, come on OD. You're the fastest google head west of the Pecos. I have confidence that you can figure it out....

Puha nui

Old 09-23-2014, 05:10 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,430,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdand3boys View Post
As to whether or not diversion is pono or not, I have noticed that by far, the majority of the people at the Civil Defense meetings that oppose (rather vocally I might add) any diversion talk, seem to be older, haole retired types.I guess their attempt at being "local" means they think they have to appease Pele, even though they probably scoffed at this very notion before they moved here to retire. Lots of these pretenders around here.
I don't think they are pretenders, as they are probably "true believers" in the religious sense. And like many recent religious converts, they are full of zeal, in a way that throws them off balance in the domain of common sense. I have some friends and neighbors who I have had to avoid recently, because they have gone full-tilt bonkers over this lava episode and Topical Storm Iselle before it, organizing prayer groups and email chains to work together spiritually to "divert the storm" and to "turn the lava away." And then whenever a change occurs they've taken to patting themselves on the back for "downgrading the hurricane," and "stopping the flow" as if their prayer-work was the decisive factor in the complex changing circumstances.

"But wait," I want to say, "if the native Hawaiian belief is that the Goddess Pele wants her lava to be welcomed as a guest, and not diverted, then you are definitely being sacrilegious by focusing on this diversion." But I don't say anything, because I don't want to get in their faces. I just get very busy with something else when the subject comes up.

I have studied many different religious traditions around the world, and have genuine respect for all of them, as I do for the people who follow them. I know that you can't use logic to debate with people about their faith. There's a certain amount of irrationality in every single one of them. So when the self-identified Native Hawaiian women at the meeting talked about cleaning house and getting ready to great a guest as their way of dealing with the lava flow I honor and respect that tradition. I don't join them in their belief, but I respect it.

But I see something happening in the video that I don't like at all, which is people of differing beliefs being disrespected for theirs. There might easily have been Buddhists there, Catholics, Mormons, maybe even a Pastafarian or a Scientologist or two. Probably some Atheists. But I didn't see their "cultural sensitivities" being respected.

Matter of fact, the Civil Defense guy was clearly being evasive on the topic of attempts to divert the lava flow, falling back time and again on the same well practiced line about how they were not considering diversion at all, citing "cultural sensitivities." Clearly he had been directed not to say any more, as became obvious when he blew off the older lady with the European accent toward the end who wanted to know why the "cultural sensitivities" of only one part of the population were taking precedence over the safety of people and the security of property. I thought it was a completely reasonable question, which the Civil Defense guy completely stonewalled her on.

And I think it raises a serious Constitutional issue, about the separation of church and state when a government official so clearly favors the beliefs of one religion over all others.

Old 09-23-2014, 07:34 PM

5,529 posts, read 12,665,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdand3boys View Post
I am one of the few posters on the Big Island forums that actually live here full-time, as well.
Why do people trying to make a point feel that they have to insult everyone else? Do you feel that you don't have credibility unless you put the rest of us down?

There are actually quite a few posters on the Big Island forums who live here full time. I guess I don't qualify since I only live here nine months of the year, instead of twelve, , but I can think of at least ten others who do live here full time.

In the future, please stick to sharing what you do know from your personal experiences, and leave out the put-downs.

Old 09-23-2014, 09:26 PM

959 posts, read 1,215,052 times
I'm not on the Big Island and don't have any real first hand knowledge of all the issues, but I generally believe flows should be left to their natural course and not be diverted. It just seems appropriate not to interfere with the natural formation of the island.

Old 09-23-2014, 10:02 PM

268 posts, read 383,026 times
There has been comments here and other sites about not interfering with nature and/or don't try and alter natural events. This has been directed towards the lava flow but I wonder how those who hold this opinion feel about leves built to contain rivers and prevent floods, seawalls and break waters to protect harbors, starting controlled burns or back fires to protect an area (homes) from an oncoming fire (say started by lightning strike) or any of the many other ways humans alter nature, their environment, etc... to protect it?

I don't mean this as a dig or a question of your beliefs, rather just thought it would be a good discussion to have.

Old 09-23-2014, 10:32 PM

6,657 posts, read 7,752,141 times
@OpenD

I think to be fair, cultural issues was one of three issues against diverting the lava from the officials.

The others being, that attempts in the past weren't promising and that no bombing or diverting would happen if they didn't know exactly the cause and effect of that action would be (how native in thinking). Because you may not know if your diverting lava to another community.

What shocked me was how many had cotton in there ears, Maybe the officials will overlook the three reasons if we said the same thing a hundred times. Maybe force our will more?

"cultural sensitivities"? Im curious OpenD how do you respect all cultural sensitivities if they are in opposites view of each other? Do you continue to ignore one tell all heiau and ancestor bones are dugup to let ones western manifest destiny to fully live? If we where keeping score would you say kanaka maori spiritual beliefs for aina etc would be equal to western beliefs of manifest destiny? There isnt equality.

Last edited by hawaiian by heart; 09-23-2014 at 11:23 PM..

Old 09-24-2014, 12:13 AM

941 posts, read 1,966,532 times
Thanks for all the replies, I'm gonna watch those videos. As an off-islander, I hadn't seen the cultural side of the lava flows before. It really seems to be another one of those island-specific topics of contention (development, tourism, ag, rail, etc.).

Old 09-24-2014, 06:26 AM

34 posts, read 86,551 times
Its 2014 and people still worship volcanoes.
smh
smh
smh

Old 09-24-2014, 08:54 AM

189 posts, read 260,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slush View Post
Its 2014 and people still worship volcanoes.
smh
smh
smh
Unfortunately, there is not much else worth to worship. This god may actually cause less disturbances than the others.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island