Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2014, 12:39 PM

6,657 posts, read 7,754,605 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonah K View Post
You probably don't have a dormant lava tube in your backyard.
lol no, but i live on about 4 faultlines and an ancient riverbed underneath us that is built up by sand and gravel. Any big earthquake that opens the fault lines under us and guess what? Ever seen an hourglass?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2014, 12:57 PM

252 posts, read 659,836 times
I only live in Hawaii part time like "Hawaiian by heart" what does that make me? But then again I never have stated I live on the island full time. Live on the island more months in the year then at our mainland house.

We do own a couple homes there one in the direct path or close to the flow and the other one not directly- so this lava issue has really hit home. Can I say that if I don't live over there full time?

Will be back in about 5 weeks.. maybe just in time for front row lava seats.

Old 09-24-2014, 01:51 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,910,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1freespirit View Post
I only live in Hawaii part time like "Hawaiian by heart" what does that make me?
Yikes! "Hawaiian by heart" doesn't live here part time - doesn't even visit Hawaii - ever. People actually think he does because he posts on a Hawaii forum like he does live here. He hasn't lived here since his childhood some 30+ years ago or even visited since then.

Last edited by whtviper1; 09-24-2014 at 02:19 PM..

Old 09-24-2014, 02:07 PM

2,624 posts, read 7,260,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdand3boys View Post
Oh no! It certainly isn't you! You are upfront about not living here.
I don't reside on the Big Island all of the time either.

Occasionally, I'll spend months in Japan, South Korea, the Philippines, Guam, Tahiti, New Zealand, Samoa, the United Kingdom, and Germany and I have residences on Oʻahu and in Southern California as well. Does the time that I spend away from the Big Island make me less knowledgeable about local issues and events than someone who has merely lived there continuously since 2009?

Quote:
JonahK - Yes, there are a lot of considerations about liability, but that South flank is devoid of anything now but new lava after having already destroyed Royal gardens subdivision, etc. It is at least worth a serious look to see if it could be done.
Although the Kaohe Homesteads subdivision has been in the news, subdivisions such as Kamaliʻi Farms and Leilani Estates are also relatively close to the June 27th Kīlauea lava flow and until it changed course around September 4th, they were in its "projected path." Both of these subdivisions have plenty of properties that have lava tubes and/or lava caves. While the most of owners of these properties are well aware of the the possible "lava inundation risk" by the actions of Pele, the "lava inundation risk" as a result of the actions of the county or state government in a "lava diversion" effort is entirely unknown. By the time "environmental impact" studies of possible "lava diversion" efforts are commissioned and completed, Pāhoa might already be inundated by lava.

Quote:
BTW, try out Bing maps, bird's eye view. They have some newer maps out over the volcano area and the detail you can see is amazing. Sometimes you have to "rotate" the view to get the best image.
I've played with the Bing maps before and find them entertaining; however, the USGS's "Geologic Map of the Island of Hawaiʻi" is somewhat more informative when it comes to lava flows. Here's a link to a PDF of it…
http://pubs.usgs.gov/ds/2005/144/images_plots/bimp.pdf

Old 09-24-2014, 02:22 PM

834 posts, read 1,217,712 times
Divert the flow. It's a geological event. When people believed it was a supernatural sign it was for the lack of better knowledge. If folks claim it to be one now it's for political interests and/or money gains.

Is God not busy enough with all the other stuff going wrong in the world that the destruction of Pahoa is so high up on his list?

Old 09-24-2014, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonah K View Post
I don't reside on the Big Island all of the time either.

Occasionally, I'll spend months in Japan, South Korea, the Philippines, Guam, Tahiti, New Zealand, Samoa, the United Kingdom, and Germany and I have residences on Oʻahu and in Southern California as well. Does the time that I spend away from the Big Island make me less knowledgeable about local issues and events than someone who has merely lived there continuously since 2009?
Although - I wouldn't find you very credible if you hadn't even stepped foot in Hawaii since 1989

As some others fall into that category.

Old 09-24-2014, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
Yikes! "Hawaiian by heart" doesn't live here part time - doesn't even visit Hawaii - ever. People actually think he does because he post on a Hawaii forum like he does live here. He hasn't lived here since his childhood some 30+ years ago or even been here.
Hmmm opinions very but my location does say mainland on it. Sad isn't it that someone who has been away so long can know so much? Why is that? Hmmm look up the word kama'aina ok. Theres your answer. Its about heart and spirit not status and class. In the future whtviper1 please attack the truth of my words other then my status or class. For someone who believes that Hawaii is no different from the mainland in anyway, your sure acting like its some unique place in cutting people off who don't live here currently. Hmmm maybe the point isn't if Hawaii is or isn't unique? But hmmm maybe your need to win or be big shot? I don't know your heart. But please check your behavior because its effecting everyone. Mahalo

Old 09-24-2014, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiian by heart View Post
Sad isn't it that someone who has been away so long can know so much?
Do you know what is the saddest? That you think you know so much about Hawaii.

Old 09-24-2014, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
Although - I wouldn't find you very credible if you hadn't even stepped foot in Hawaii since 1989

As some others fall into that category.
And why is that whtviper1? Please educate everybody ok. Isnt truth and credibility based on whats being said vs someones education or class etc? Truth is established on whats being said and after found to be truth is backed up by credibility. Hmmm it appears you miss a few steps.

Old 09-24-2014, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiian by heart View Post
And why is that whtviper1? Please educate everybody ok.
This isn't rocket science - because things change so drastically in 25 years, it isn't possible to relate to the present day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island