Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-20-2014, 12:23 AM

12,969 posts, read 28,447,082 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
Well - since it happen in the 90s, I'd suggest it is time to move on. Sometimes you have to let things go and this seems to be a good example. It is - what it is.
Fair enough... so flash forward to today... I'd hate to see a Sam's Club open in Hilo, because as a member of the Walmart family it would just perpetuate all they do that is harmful to communities.

Quote:
I hate to break it to you - but 16% population growth since 1990 lags the state by quite a bit in that time period.
I'm not stuck with that figure, it was just a back of the napkin guess. The point I was trying to make, whatever the actual growth numbers might be, is that the wholesale shift from locally owned small businesses to mainland corporate big box stores is not healthy for a community. It is perhaps time to throttle the behemoths back a little... and find ways to encourage more local business to flourish... as many communities around the country are beginning to do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2014, 12:38 AM

3,752 posts, read 11,514,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
Fair enough... so flash forward to today... I'd hate to see a Sam's Club open in Hilo, because as a member of the Walmart family it would just perpetuate all they do that is harmful to communities...
Male Bovine Excrement.

What has Costco done to the Kona community? I believe Costco has done way more harm to Kona than could ever be attributed to Walmart. Costco sells fruit, vegetables, meat... Walmart on the Big Island, both locations, doesn't. Costco is pulling money from the local farmer's markets with their cheap fruits and vegetables, which have been having a surprising number of listeria and other disease recalls lately. I know because Costco sends an email and phones you with every recall, advising you to throw away what you purchased. They track everything you buy.

Costco also employs far fewer people than it needs to, which is immediately evident if you go to the Kona store. It doesn't matter if they do pay a little more per hour or not, they employ fewer people than they really need.

On the plus for Costco, they employ a higher caliber of person than Walmart does. However, Walmart, by employing new to the workforce, unskilled and uneducated people for entry-level jobs, is doing all of us a favor in that regard. If Walmart didn't hire them, who would? Oh wait! The taxpayer would employ them with the myriad of welfare benefits that they would have received.

Old 10-20-2014, 12:42 AM

12,120 posts, read 17,917,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdand3boys View Post
Costco is pulling money from the local farmer's markets with their cheap fruits and vegetables
Even better - people buy the vegetables from Costco and sell them at Big Island farmers markets.

Wacky stuff.

Old 10-20-2014, 12:44 AM

6,657 posts, read 7,757,933 times
Quote:
Well - since it happen in the 90s, I'd suggest it is time to move on. Sometimes you have to let things go and this seems to be a good example. It is - what it is.
Its easy to fall back on that and not learn from mistakes. And im kinda getting tired of you pushing this rich corporate/mass redevelopement and gentrafication/mainlandfication ideal as the norm in hawaii and how everyone wants this. Its garbage and so far from reality. Eventually its accepted when its forced on communities and there is no alternative, but thats really not saying its ok. Most locals are opposed to real change in there communities. But like everything else. Money talks. Every community has had protests, petitions, lawsuits against bigbox and big development to be ignored. Im sick of hearing about getting into reality when we are so far from it pushing this as what everyone wants.

Old 10-20-2014, 12:48 AM

@mdand3boys

Come on man, lets get real you drink from the walmart cooler dont you? Your a stockholder if i remember you saying before? There not much room for objectivity right?

Old 10-20-2014, 01:02 AM

I owned Walmart stock years back. I sold too soon. Oh well.
As I told a couple others here via private message today (who applauded my posts) I only go there for motor oil cause they sell it way cheaper than the local NAPA, O'Reilly parts stores. I change my own oil in all my vehicles.
I actually hate going into the store. Too crowded, especially near the 3rd and 5th of the month - EBT (food stamp) days.

Old 10-20-2014, 01:07 AM

12,120 posts, read 17,917,108 times
Quote:
I actually hate going into the store. Too crowded
Agreed. They aren't thriving due to my patronage. But others apparently love them. Packed beyond belief.

Old 10-20-2014, 01:11 AM

Quote:
I owned Walmart stock years back. I sold too soon. Oh well.
As I told a couple others here via private message today (who applauded my posts) I only go there for motor oil cause they sell it way cheaper than the local NAPA, O'Reilly parts stores. I change my own oil in all my vehicles.
I actually hate going into the store. Too crowded, especially near the 3rd and 5th of the month - EBT (food stamp) days.
And dont get me wrong uncle ok, Im not anti walmart, rich, no development or growth or haoles lol. What im against is treating people badly, greed, poor development planning, a lack of awareness of cause and effect behavior. Just to keep it simple its not the business or people its behavior and thinking.

Heard comcast in the near future will be great stock.

Old 10-20-2014, 01:12 AM

Quote:
Even better - people buy the vegetables from Costco and sell them at Big Island farmers markets.

Wacky stuff.
So true! I forgot about that. They claim they are GMO and pesticide free, organic, whatever...

Old 10-20-2014, 01:48 AM

12,969 posts, read 28,447,082 times
Quote:
What has Costco done to the Kona community? I believe Costco has done way more harm to Kona than could ever be attributed to Walmart. Costco sells fruit, vegetables, meat... Walmart on the Big Island, both locations, doesn't. Costco is pulling money from the local farmer's markets with their cheap fruits and vegetables, which have been having a surprising number of listeria and other disease recalls lately.
Makes no sense... since Costco is importing fruits and vegetables from California and selling them cheap, how does that compete with farmer's markets, which are supposed to be selling only local Hawai'i grown?* If anything, Costco is actually competing with local supermarkets, who are also importing and selling the same kind of imported goods.

* Kona Farmers Market - Alii Drive, Kailua Kona, HAWAII says only locally grown produce is approved for sale
http://www.keauhoufarmersmarket.com/policies.pdf says: Absolutely no mainland produce or flowers will be allowed for sale

Quote:
Costco also employs far fewer people than it needs to, which is immediately evident if you go to the Kona store. It doesn't matter if they do pay a little more per hour or not, they employ fewer people than they really need.
Costco's ratio of employees to customers is well documented to be higher than Walmarts, while the persistent complaints about Walmart severely understaffing their stores come from both customers and employees. Remember, Walmart is generally hated by its employees, while Costco is highly regarded by theirs. The differences go far deeper than mere wages...

Quote:
Another differentiating factor for Costco is the company´s atypical human resources policies and corporate culture: Costco pays higher salaries than the competition, the company offers more generous benefits like health care and 401-K plans and it provides more opportunities for professional growth and promotion to employees of different levels.

Attracting and retaining the best talent in the industry has important implications for the competitive dynamic in the sector, and it also means more profitability for shareholders on a long-term basis. In the words of the company's CEO, Craig Jelinek, as quoted in a Businessweek interview:
"We know it's a lot more profitable in the long term to minimize employee turnover and maximize employee productivity, commitment and loyalty"
Why Costco Will Continue Outgrowing Wal-Mart and Target
And for extra points, read this article about why Costco employees are so much happier than the perennially dissatisfied Walmart workforce.

Costco CEO Craig Jelinek Leads the Cheapest, Happiest Company in the World - Businessweek

Quote:
On the plus for Costco, they employ a higher caliber of person than Walmart does. However, Walmart, by employing new to the workforce, unskilled and uneducated people for entry-level jobs, is doing all of us a favor in that regard. If Walmart didn't hire them, who would? Oh wait! The taxpayer would employ them with the myriad of welfare benefits that they would have received.
Again, that would be true if it it were an even trade off for the jobs they displace, but the research all shows they displace 3 small business jobs for every 2 they offer... not at all a good deal for the community and for long term economic reinvestment. And with such a high turnover rate, it's not a lasting benefit for many.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island