Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2014, 05:51 PM

Location: not sure, but there's a hell of a lot of water around here!
2,682 posts, read 7,573,335 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonah K View Post
As a Native Hawaiian, I feel more kinship with other Pacific Islanders (i.e. Polynesians, Micronesians, and Melanesians), Australian aborigines, Okinawans, and other indigenous peoples from Asia and Southeast Asia, than I do with most American Indians.
So, I would take that to indicate that you are more inclined to identify with the 'ai kanaka maoli?

Food for thought
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2014, 06:09 PM

2,624 posts, read 7,260,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jungjohann View Post
So, I would take that to indicate that you are more inclined to identify with the 'ai kanaka maoli?

Food for thought
ʻInamona (kukui nut relish) was in Hawaiʻi long before A1 goes well with puaʻa loa (long pig).

Old 11-20-2014, 09:57 PM

1,872 posts, read 2,816,051 times
Quote:
Look at the second portion of the definition for "indigenous" that you provided that says "native."
native |ˈnātiv|
noun
a person born in a specified place or associated with a place by birth.

So then using the definition of native, anyone born in Hawaii would then be indigenous to Hawaii.

Quote:
Most anthropologists believe that all homo sapiens originally came from Africa; however, everyone doesn't consider themselves to be "African."
It would seem then that we can each choose what we consider ourselves to be?

Quote:
Modern-day Native Hawaiians are the direct descendants of the first humans to occupy the islands; hence, they get to be considered "indigenous."
Is that really true? Weren't the first people to get to Hawaii from Marquesas and then they were conquered by the Tahitians which came later?

Quote:
Nope. If none of their ancestors arrived before the "cut-off" date (i.e. January 18, 1778), they can't be considered "indigenous" to Hawaiʻi, despite being born here.
Why? Who made up this rule and what is it based on?

While I do find this all extremely interesting, it does seem silly to me how humans still have a tribe mentality after all these years. For some reason we love to divide ourselves into groups. Democrats vs Republicans. Christians vs Muslims. Oregonians vs Californians. Yankees Fans vs Red Sox Fans. etc... etc... etc...

We love to make up funny rules that help us divide ourselves. The questions is, why? Why must we divide ourselves? The bottom line is we all come from the same place, Earth.
At least I think we do.
Maybe I'm wrong on that.
Anyone here from Mars?

Old 11-20-2014, 10:21 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,910,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McFrostyJ View Post

While I do find this all extremely interesting, it does seem silly to me how humans still have a tribe mentality after all these years. For some reason we love to divide ourselves into groups. Democrats vs Republicans. Christians vs Muslims. Oregonians vs Californians. Yankees Fans vs Red Sox Fans. etc... etc... etc...

I agree. I've never understood the sense of entitlement just because parents or ancestors were born somewhere. As the world continues to be more global it will eventually end.

Old 11-21-2014, 01:22 AM

12,969 posts, read 28,439,744 times
Go far enough back and everybody's roots are in Africa. All the "native" people everywhere in the world are originally from Africa, if you go far enough back. As matter of fact, some genetic scientists believe that everyone alive today is a descendant of a small group of perhaps 200 individuals in Africa a million years ago. We're something like 99.1% alike genetically.

So all the people who came to Hawai'i from the Marquesas, their ancestors originally came from Africa via Asia. And the second wave from Tahiti, the same. Different blood lines, until you trace it far enough back. Native Americans? Their people came from Africa via northern Asia, in two distinct waves, thousand of years apart. The Inuits and other natives of the arctic, similar but different story. Even the aborigines of Australia can be traced by genetic back to Africa via Asia, before the Australian land mass divided from the main continent.

So when you say any people are native to any part of the world, it's only true since a specific point in time, when their ancestors first arrived. We're all related, so we all ought to learn to get along

So back to the OP's question, kanaka maoli (native Hawaiian people) and so-called Native Americans aren't related, except in the sense that we are all related.

Old 11-21-2014, 10:33 AM

48 posts, read 61,986 times
I didn't bring up related. it was "Has anyone noticed the similarities between the native American Indian and Hawaiian cultures?"

Sorry I don't know how to highlight quotes of others in blue box's.

HBH had

Cooperation w/ Nature
Religion- Way of life
Extended Family
Belief In The Unseen
Respect For Tradition

These were obvious to me about that was about all I was aware of. I find it very intriguing all the others he quoted

Cooperation
Group Emphasis
Generosity or Aloha spirit
Non-Materialism
Work To Meet Need
Passivity
Time-Always With Us
Orientation To Present
Religion- Way of life
Indirect Criticism
Cultural Pluralist
Respect For Age

The real head scratcher is " Its believed now that ancient hawaiians traveled to turtle island(america) and ended up mingling with native american tribes."

"There are also tons of similarities in the spiritual beliefs too."

How can there be so many similarities between the two cultures? those can't be random acts of chance, coincidence?
I'm not a big believer of coincidences.

Old 11-21-2014, 11:02 AM

12,120 posts, read 17,910,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 838454 View Post

These were obvious to me about that was about all I was aware of. I find it very intriguing all the others he quoted

How can there be so many similarities between the two cultures? those can't be random acts of chance, coincidence?
Yes, a bunch of things quoted without any source material.

You could have said the same things had you asked, Are Native Hawaiians and <Insert ancient group here> Where ancient group could be Greeks, Romans, Egyptians, or Japanese, and on and on.

If Native Hawaiians had Teepees and Totum Poles I think you'd be on to something.

Old 11-21-2014, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McFrostyJ View Post

We love to make up funny rules that help us divide ourselves. The questions is, why? Why must we divide ourselves? The bottom line is we all come from the same place, Earth.
I guess that it all boils down to the "animal nature" of human beings and competition over seemingly limited resources. When folks discuss the "traditional values" of Native Hawaiians, they conveniently leave out that the fact that "warfare" was one of them. When James Cook and his crew arrived in Hawaiʻi on January 18, 1778, Hawaiians were at war with each other. In many respects, the Hawaiian "wars of unification" never ended. However, the "battlefield" has simply shifted to various boardrooms, courts, classrooms, and other venues.

Old 11-21-2014, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 838454 View Post
As I mentioned in a previous post, there are over 560 different American Indian tribes. Many of these tribes have different languages, customs, histories, and cultures. For instance, while Iroquois and Comanche are both considered to be "American Indians," they are about as similar to each other as Swedes are to Italians. The main similarity between "American Indians" and "Native Hawaiians" is that both groups happen to be "American-subjugated natives." While there may be a few isolated instances of Native Hawaiians traveling to what is now the West Coast of the continental United States and interbreeding with some of the local American Indian tribes (e.g. the Shingle Springs Band of Miwok Indians), the cultures weren't that similar.

Old 11-21-2014, 11:59 AM

48 posts, read 61,986 times
Whtviper1, Yes I was obviously assuming the material was correct from HBH "Yes, a bunch of things quoted without any source material."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island