Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-30-2015, 01:33 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,903,402 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie of Oldsmar View Post
so sorry some ppl in Hawaii do not like them. In Puerto Rico they are never killed
In Puerto Rico they have natural predators and in Hawaii they are general more than 6x as many per acre as Puerto Rico.

They are louder than Federal ear protection guidelines and again, think 6x or more per acre than Puerto Rico.

The bigger picture isn't just the noise they produce today but what may happen in the future. Think about if snakes got loose on the Big Island Hilo side - they'd give out a huge "yum" - they'd reproduce far easier with a healthy stock of frogs than without.

And of course it impacts property values - nobody is willing to build a decent resort in the Hilo area and that impacts tourism significantly. Hilo/Volcano is the #1 destination for day trips - people aren't willing the spend the night because of the frog noise - and that impacts the economy.

"The frogs have joined termites and volcano zones as possible deal breakers in property sales. Broker Dave Lucas lost one sale when potential buyers made a sunset inspection of property on which they'd put a contract. "They sent in a cancellation the next day," says Lucas. "They said there's no way we're living by these frogs." The Hawaii Island Board of Realtors is urging its clients to spray their properties."

http://www.smithsonianmag.com/scienc...270295/?page=1
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2015, 02:30 PM

552 posts, read 1,055,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Eyes_Mrs. Z View Post
Thank you. We actually have other parrots, also: I have a female Blue and Gold macaw and a female Scarlet macaw. My husband has a nasty, grouchy old male Severe macaw named Eddie (who calls himself Jasper!), and a female Bluefront Amazon. My girls love me and the B&G hates my husband. The Scarlet puts up with him :-). His birds HATE me, although Eddie-Jasper will gladly eat as many walnuts from my hand as I'm willing to give him :-). So now you know just what parrots we'd bring to Hawaii, if we ever decide to relocate there. Hence my desire for acreage and no CC&Rs! LOL!

I also had several other macaws over the years--a male Hyacinth who is now living in a wildlife conservation center in Rainier, Oregon, and waiting to find himself a female so he can be part of their breeding program. A male Greenwing, who now has a wife and lives with a friend of mine. A B&G male who also has a wife and lives with my same friend--and produced a little boy last year, who is the light and love of my friend's life. Several hybrid macaws--2nd and 3rd generation Scarlet x B&Gs, a couple of other Scarlets, etc. When I became severely disabled, though, I didn't think it was fair to my husband to have to take care of all of my birds by himself, so I rehomed most of them to good people. Thankfully, my condition improved significantly, and I am able to keep the parrots I still have left :-).

I have never even seen a mockingbird, believe it or not. I've seen photos of them, but I don't think they're native to Oregon. If they are, I've never seen one, at least. And, as you can probably guess, I'd agree with both Thomas Jefferson and Atticus. Although I'd probably say those things about most birds, not just a Mockingbird .

Your girlfriends were lucky to have those parrots--provided they were up to the task of taking care of a feathered toddler for the rest of its life--or theirs :-). A very demanding, spoiled, messy toddler with very strong "teeth"! LOL!

Yes, I know about feeding color supplements to my red-factor canary. He gets them every other day. I buy a commercially made supplement, and add paprika. I haven't added chili petines, because I don't have a clue what they are, or I probably would :-).

Mahalo for all of your helpful advice, interesting conversation, and links to some fantastic videos. You, sir, are a VERY interesting person, with lots of fantastic interests. I really enjoy when you share all of that with the rest of us :-). The more of your posts that I find, the more I look forward to whatever you have to contribute to this forum, next.
Well thanks for the nice words.

In brief, the Mockingbird ( Mimus polyglottos ) is the state bird of Texas. Mimus polyglottos, the Greek “mimus” meaning to mimic, and “ployglottos” for many tongues.

Inside a Mockingbird's Nest - A Bird Documentary

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iyi4...8&spfreload=10

They are not found in Oregon.

Chiltepin/ Chile Tepin/Hot Tepin/Chile Pequin:The Greatest Bird Pepper

More later if you like . . .busy cleaning an aquarium.

Old 03-30-2015, 04:00 PM

308 posts, read 410,249 times
Mmmmmm....! Looking at the Chiltepins, my birds would love these. Most parrots like the flavor of chilis--and the hotter they are, the better they like them. I'm going to have to go into a local Mexican supply store to see if they stock any of these, dried. To feed Rory the Canary AND my parrots! I see lots of places to order online, but since there's a Mexican supply store just up the street from us, I might as well start with them.

LOVED watching the baby Mockingbirds. I had to laugh when Daddy Bird managed to knock down the camera. He was definitely persistent! They're definitely beautiful birds, with their soft grey coloring, their long and balanced beak, legs, and tail. Makes me wish they WERE around here! I'd love watching then grow up :-).

Yes, please, about the "more later". I used to keep aquariums as large as 100 gallon (all freshwater), but in this tiny house, the biggest I have is in a large glass (5 gallon) jar with a mouth wide enough for my hand and arm, so I can clean it weekly; where a calico fantail goldfish, 2 male guppies, a gorgeous male betta, and 2 tiny yoyo loaches reside. I haven't seen the small plecostomous in ages. I can only presume he died and became one with the crushed flourite substrate that keeps the living plants going strong and looking pretty.

Old 03-30-2015, 07:45 PM

6,657 posts, read 7,752,590 times
Since some are having problems sleeping because of Coqui frogs, i guess alot of this will happen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8_4odhYZADo

But i no care, good or bad Hawaii still has my heart.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BvU2gJnD64E

Old 03-30-2015, 09:14 PM

308 posts, read 410,249 times
Quote:
Coqui's are worshipped in the Rainforest.. I find their singing beautiful, so sorry some ppl in Hawaii do not like them. In Puerto Rico they are never killed, it is sad to read that some ppl do not like their singing.
I have several CD's with the coqui singing, they are sold in the tourist stores in PR.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C24IOVRYC08
Oh, their voices are beautiful! This video is making my red-factor canary male sing his beautiful heart out. The two sounds together are wonderful (if loud). However, I can sleep through Rory's song--and he's by far the louder of the two singers in this house atm. I imagine I could _probably_ live with the coqui's songs at night. I don't like silence at night, anyway (I sleep with my tv on--if I don't, I wake up terrified at some point(s) at night).

Even though they're invasive, I personally couldn't kill them (or the adorable mongooses I see photos of), because I can't kill anything, whether it belongs or not (including the yellow jackets and nasty black and white hornets that I'm absolutely terrified of). Please don't slam me for not wanting to take lives--even those that don't belong. I suppose I'm in the minority in that I find the coquis' voices, at least in this video, quite pleasant.

If they really must be controlled, hopefully some wild predator will someday step up to the plate and decide they taste like chicken, and are good to eat, after all :-).

Old 03-30-2015, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Coqui's are worshipped in the Rainforest.. I find their singing beautiful, so sorry some ppl in Hawaii do not like them. In Puerto Rico they are never killed, it is sad to read that some ppl do not like their singing.
I have several CD's with the coqui singing, they are sold in the tourist stores in PR.
Wrote a long response which I thought I posted, apparently not. PR is where I first learned of them. It's the density in Puna that causes the problem. Coqui will use a hard leaf, palm frond and such, as an amplifier - sound board. There are ways of pushing them off your property using a sound generator and creating dissonance in their F# minor 7th. mating/directional call. I may rewrite all that but it was tedious - without getting all preachy sciencey sounding.

Rust

Old 03-30-2015, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Eyes_Mrs. Z View Post
Mmmmmm....! Looking at the Chiltepins, my birds would love these. Most parrots like the flavor of chilis--and the hotter they are, the better they like them. I'm going to have to go into a local Mexican supply store to see if they stock any of these, dried. To feed Rory the Canary AND my parrots! I see lots of places to order online, but since there's a Mexican supply store just up the street from us, I might as well start with them.

LOVED watching the baby Mockingbirds. I had to laugh when Daddy Bird managed to knock down the camera. He was definitely persistent! They're definitely beautiful birds, with their soft grey coloring, their long and balanced beak, legs, and tail. Makes me wish they WERE around here! I'd love watching then grow up :-).

Yes, please, about the "more later". I used to keep aquariums as large as 100 gallon (all freshwater), but in this tiny house, the biggest I have is in a large glass (5 gallon) jar with a mouth wide enough for my hand and arm, so I can clean it weekly; where a calico fantail goldfish, 2 male guppies, a gorgeous male betta, and 2 tiny yoyo loaches reside. I haven't seen the small plecostomous in ages. I can only presume he died and became one with the crushed flourite substrate that keeps the living plants going strong and looking pretty.
Mrs. Z, what you are describing is a nano aquarium! I set one up for an 11 year old who helped me today using cuttings from my plants - she was thrilled.

I'm into aquascaping with C02. This will bring you up to speed. Btw, I used the 3 plastic bottle, yeast and sugar method for her, what's more . . .she completely understands it. It's described in one of the links below:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tqNXtsFRrNM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZzBbcxaDQjg

HOW TO: DIY CO2 for planted aquarium

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zHy4CtmnzeA

Rust

Old 03-31-2015, 10:35 AM

268 posts, read 383,105 times
Interesting how our intrepid entrepreneur hasn't signed into the forum since he started this thread. Is that any way to run a business? How many of you were crouched, waiting to leap on this opportunity but the lack of response has croaked out your enthusiasm?

Ya gotta hand it to him, he is Creative...

Old 03-31-2015, 11:50 AM

5,529 posts, read 12,666,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rust Never Sleeps View Post
Wrote a long response which I thought I posted, apparently not. PR is where I first learned of them. It's the density in Puna that causes the problem. Coqui will use a hard leaf, palm frond and such, as an amplifier - sound board. There are ways of pushing them off your property using a sound generator and creating dissonance in their F# minor 7th. mating/directional call. I may rewrite all that but it was tedious - without getting all preachy sciencey sounding.

Rust
I'd like to hear more. While pushing them off my property doesn't quite solve the problem, you may be on to something. Because their "singing" is actually a mating call, maybe by creating dissonance we could screw up their mating and thus reduce the number of future frogs.

Old 03-31-2015, 12:51 PM

83 posts, read 128,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 67Cam View Post
Interesting how our intrepid entrepreneur hasn't signed into the forum since he started this thread. Is that any way to run a business? How many of you were crouched, waiting to leap on this opportunity but the lack of response has croaked out your enthusiasm?

Ya gotta hand it to him, he is Creative...
I think he's embrassed ..... I know I would be after making a ridiculous offer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island