Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2015, 01:27 AM

68 posts, read 107,405 times

Advertisements

I am just about ready to try my hand at Coqui trapping. I have assembled enough traps to experiment with, now all I need are a few properties on which to begin my 'retraining'.

What I am looking for:
3 Properties, preferably 1 acre each;
1 Should be lightly populated by coqui, 1should be moderately infested, and 1 should be downright poluted with the lil buggers.

What I require:
Permision to be on/come and go, as required (24/7), the property. (I WILL be >quietly< active all night some nights. Learning the ways of a diurnal creature requires diurnal study. If I sit silently staring and listening, please do not disturb.)
A 4' x 10' (or aproximate equivalent) covered, dry, secure space in which to sleep and store my things, for up to 2 weeks, per property. (Space in a carport or on a lanai, a couch, etc...)
A place to prepare my meals. (Access to kitchen, a firepit and grill screen + fuel, a 'coleman' type stove or equiv. + fuel, etc...)
A place to dispose of my meals. (Access to bathroom, a bucket in the brush, etc...)
A place to plug in my phone and recharging battery pack as required.
Transportation to property at beginning of, and back home at end of, agreed upon testing period.
$10 per coqui trapped, up to, but not to exceed, $50 per day. (Negotiable, may accept partial trade for items of need, things/materials of desire, etc.) (I would offer to do it for free while I develop this new tradeskill, but I now have a dog to feed and personal needs.)

Dog freindly properties which will allow me to bring him along will recieve more favorable consideration.

What you get:
Rid of some coqui!
Rid of some eggs! (Fewer coqui later!)
To meet me!

Discuss as you will in open forum, but please reply with interest in DM (Direct Message feature), with information on what level of each requirement available (light coqui, couch, kitchen, bucket, no dog, poss. trades, etc.). I will be considering offers for approximately 2 weeks before making first selection. (Today's date 3-23-2015)

Thank you for your time and consideration.

RC
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2015, 09:29 AM

113 posts, read 163,684 times
I don't know, this seems to not really be in the land owners favor at all. First the land owner has to pay you to study how to trap the little buggers by providing free room and board and free taxis services from and to the property just so that he can then pay you ten bucks a frog once you learn how to trap them?

hmmmm....

Old 03-24-2015, 10:22 AM

5,528 posts, read 12,682,760 times
Nice try, Rex. I agree with Hanapepe.

There are a couple of properties in Waiohinu that are already infested. Just stand at the intersection of Highway 11 and Kamaoa Road at night and you'll hear them. Maybe you then go over to Wong Yuen store across the street and ask if they know who owns the property. Perhaps you could then squat on the property in exchange for getting rid of the frogs. However, since the owners have done nothing about the frogs, I seriously doubt that they care.

Old 03-24-2015, 10:40 AM

104 posts, read 253,296 times
Ha Ha.

If this weren't so obviously a joke I'd guess it runs afoul of the C-D rules against commercial advertising.

'Cause really, whole "experiment" boils down to this: "Pay me to exterminate your pests."

Old 03-24-2015, 11:21 AM

2,081 posts, read 5,601,716 times
With populations of up to 10,000 frogs an acre that would be pretty spendy. Oh yeah, BTW, they're nocturnal, not diurnal.

Old 03-24-2015, 11:39 AM

189 posts, read 261,165 times
Rex, you are nuts! If this post was serious, you need help...in more way than you think. You want boarding and transportation and get paid for getting them?! Me too!!!

Old 03-24-2015, 12:04 PM

11,053 posts, read 24,053,862 times
How about writing a grant and getting someone else to cough up the cash? Most folks aren't gonna have that amount of extra cash or want a house guest for two weeks. We usually get tired of ours in about half that amount of time and having to pay someone to stay longer than that - well.

Paying per frog isn't gonna do enough to help unless it is a very, very light infestation at the very beginning. You can delay their progress into your neighborhood and if the neighborhood is vigilant, keep them out, but paying a buck a frog isn't sustainable or gonna do much unless it is a property with less than a dozen frogs.

People can't contain this plague of frogs. We need that frog virus they had down in Australia, although from what I've heard the virus is already in the frog population here and it hasn't slowed them much. Chickens will eat some of the frogs, but then you get crowing roosters which aren't much - if any better, although they are at least edible, well, sort of anyway. Perhaps big Jackson chameleons can eat the small coqui but I don't know if that works or not.

Trapping coqui only works if someone empties the traps? Perhaps you could figure out a way to trap them where they couldn't get back out of the trap? We do that with cockroaches. Take an old peanut butter jar, wipe Vaseline around the inside rim of the jar and put something cockroaches like in the bottom of the jar. Cockroaches go in, can't get out and you end up with a jar full of cockroaches. Oh frabjalous joy, eh?

Old 03-24-2015, 01:27 PM

834 posts, read 1,219,246 times
So, in other words you want free housing for you and a dog. Plus getting paid for catching a frog now & then.

The guy at Costco with the sign "Need money" is more honest.

Old 03-24-2015, 01:45 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,930,312 times
Sigh, many of us still remember you talking about the intention of squatting on properties in Hawaii.

Old 03-24-2015, 02:01 PM

1,872 posts, read 2,818,660 times
Come on, give the guy a break.
He clearly made a mistake and posted this 8 days early!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island