Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2015, 03:10 PM

Location: not sure, but there's a hell of a lot of water around here!
2,682 posts, read 7,570,789 times

Advertisements

I'm pretty sure the county hired him
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2015, 03:18 PM

308 posts, read 410,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rust Never Sleeps View Post
Mrs. Z, what you are describing is a nano aquarium! I set one up for an 11 year old who helped me today using cuttings from my plants - she was thrilled.

I'm into aquascaping with C02. This will bring you up to speed. Btw, I used the 3 plastic bottle, yeast and sugar method for her, what's more . . .she completely understands it. It's described in one of the links below:

Rust
Thank you for the links! I'm just getting ready to watch the videos, now, and I'm sure I'll enjoy them .

My nano aquarium jar isn't nearly as fancy as the ones in the first video. I love going to shows where they have those fancy planted tanks up for judging. Many of the owners of those incredible aquariums are obviously extremely serious about their hobby/business. I've read some articles about "behind the scenes" goings-on at events where the displays are judged. It's almost as bad as some of the things that go on at dog shows! For me, if a hobby isn't fun, why bother? Then again, I'm not a very competitive person, so perhaps the people who are enjoy that kind of drama....

I've admired many aquariums that are set up with CO2. It certainly helps to keep the plants lush and green! I'd love to have something like that, but I worry about how it would affect any fish kept with the plants. Plus, I always have a fantail goldfish in my little aquarium (I've had it for many years), and as you undoubtedly know, goldfish are vegetarians who love munching on the more tender plants. So, since it seems I usually have to choose between tender, beautiful plants, or my goldfish, I always choose the fish. The plants that are growing in the jar are broad-leafed, tough things that the goldfish never bothers, thankfully. I'd hate to have to resort to using fake plants!

The 11 y/o girl who got a nano-aquarium set up with/by you is a pretty lucky girl! Not everyone is so willing to help children with new things, nor with things that are probably easier to do without their help. I'm sure she'll grow up to have a love of all things aquatic thanks, in part, to your help while she's young and impressionable. Good job!

Old 03-31-2015, 08:39 PM

552 posts, read 1,055,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreaming of Hawaii View Post
I'd like to hear more. While pushing them off my property doesn't quite solve the problem, you may be on to something. Because their "singing" is actually a mating call, maybe by creating dissonance we could screw up their mating and thus reduce the number of future frogs.

. @..@ .
. (----) .
(>___<)
.^^~^^

Sometimes you can take a tentative 2 and a figurative 3 and come up with a solid 5! We have some measurements, the perfect F# and the interval of a minor 7th. We know it has been decoded to mean:

Co - Male states his dominate position and power, Qui - his location for the female to find him. Frogs hear differently than humans and detect sonic direction.

Consider, when a frog choirs is going on and a loud sound like a firecracker goes off - they all stop at once. I'm thinking, by introducing a bit of sonic dissonance you could significantly frustrate Courtin Coquis to move.

I'm sure Mr. Sydney Ross Singer of the Coqui Hawaiian Integration and Reeducation Project (CHIRP) in Puna
might call foul play and level charges of Coqui Sexual Harassmen (CSH)

The equipment can be found free on your computer. All you would need is four speakers and speaker wire for surround sound.

Still with me here? It's all about the science of vibrations, decoding and re-coding a special Coqui Vibrator.

I asked myself - What would Martha Stewart do?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-OYuG8d4B9o

Rust

Old 03-31-2015, 11:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Eyes_Mrs. Z View Post
Thank you for the links! I'm just getting ready to watch the videos, now, and I'm sure I'll enjoy them .

My nano aquarium jar isn't nearly as fancy as the ones in the first video. I love going to shows where they have those fancy planted tanks up for judging. Many of the owners of those incredible aquariums are obviously extremely serious about their hobby/business. I've read some articles about "behind the scenes" goings-on at events where the displays are judged. It's almost as bad as some of the things that go on at dog shows! For me, if a hobby isn't fun, why bother? Then again, I'm not a very competitive person, so perhaps the people who are enjoy that kind of drama....

I've admired many aquariums that are set up with CO2. It certainly helps to keep the plants lush and green! I'd love to have something like that, but I worry about how it would affect any fish kept with the plants. Plus, I always have a fantail goldfish in my little aquarium (I've had it for many years), and as you undoubtedly know, goldfish are vegetarians who love munching on the more tender plants. So, since it seems I usually have to choose between tender, beautiful plants, or my goldfish, I always choose the fish. The plants that are growing in the jar are broad-leafed, tough things that the goldfish never bothers, thankfully. I'd hate to have to resort to using fake plants!

The 11 y/o girl who got a nano-aquarium set up with/by you is a pretty lucky girl! Not everyone is so willing to help children with new things, nor with things that are probably easier to do without their help. I'm sure she'll grow up to have a love of all things aquatic thanks, in part, to your help while she's young and impressionable. Good job!
" Many of the owners of those incredible aquariums are obviously extremely serious about their hobby/business. I've read some articles about "behind the scenes" goings-on at events where the displays are judged. It's almost as bad as some of the things that go on at dog shows! For me, if a hobby isn't fun, why bother? Then again, I'm not a very competitive person, so perhaps the people who are enjoy that kind of drama....

In the small worlds, of tropical fish, bird, dog, violin, poker, magicians, etc. societies, in their extreme extensions are creating masterpieces that takes more than simple inspiration. It requires endless preparation and arranging the tiniest details. Some call it art, with as much going on behind the scenes as happens in the open. Obsessive
narcissists and control freaks abound. Nothing kills music as quick as ego.

The negative you imply and refer to - let's make it local to you - a sordid, violent conspiracy, with that green-eyed monster jealousy, all dressed up in small sequined skirts, marking a memorable event in figure skating history; Tonya Harding.

I've maintained over my life, those same passports visaed (document verified, and certified with a stamp) for the heights - are also visaed for the depths. I've used the Story of Two Wolfs since I heard it. It's why the Cardinal can't sing.

An old Cherokee chief was teaching his grandson about life...

"A fight is going on inside me," he said to the boy.
"It is a terrible fight and it is between two wolves.

"One is evil - he is anger, envy, sorrow, regret, greed, arrogance, self-pity, guilt, resentment,
inferiority, lies, false pride, superiority, self-doubt, and ego.

"The other is good - he is joy, peace, love, hope, serenity, humility, kindness, benevolence,
empathy, generosity, truth, compassion, and faith.

"This same fight is going on inside you - and inside every other person, too."

The grandson thought about it for a minute and then asked his grandfather,

"Which wolf will win?"

The old chief simply replied,

"The one you feed."

Native American Indian Legends - How The Mockingbird Became The Best Singer - Mayan

P.S. I always felt like a coyote at a dog show.

Rust

Old 04-03-2015, 06:48 AM

104 posts, read 171,274 times
Well, I like the coqui bird-like sounds. I was on the phone talking to a call center the other night. She asked if I had a lot of birds, lol. Besides, as soon as the temps drop the little frogs stop their singing. They don't bother me the slightest. I live in Hawaiian Beaches.

Old 04-03-2015, 12:37 PM

48 posts, read 61,934 times
I think I read this this whole post and was waiting for Rex to chime in, well it made good reading for other evasive species. This is when we need OpenD to put a nice perspective on the issue, Happy Holiday all

Old 04-07-2015, 03:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 838454 View Post
I think I read this this whole post and was waiting for Rex to chime in, well it made good reading for other evasive species.
What did you expect after HanapepePuppy dashed his dreams!

Rust

Btw, Mea Makamae: Limited Edition Hawaiian Forest Bird Watercolors by Marian Berger: About This Project

Old 04-07-2015, 10:37 AM

268 posts, read 382,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 838454 View Post
I think I read this this whole post and was waiting for Rex to chime in, well it made good reading for other evasive species. This is when we need OpenD to put a nice perspective on the issue, Happy Holiday all
His last log-in was 4/2, so he's likely read it and just didn't find the responses what he anticipated. What?! Everyone isn't stampeding to give me room, board, transportation and lot's of money to "study" frogs on their property?!!!

I meant that in jest but come on, how can someone have such unrealistic expectations?

Old 10-09-2015, 03:05 PM

39 posts, read 42,259 times
I think I'm fairly qualified to help my brothers and sisters in Hawaii deal with the coqui problem since they have been in Puerto Rico long before Columbus showed up and the Taino Indians revered the coqui. In PR they sing all night and even after a hard rain during the day. I was back on the mainland this summer and the first couple nights I couldn't sleep because it was too quiet and the second night my wife suggested finding a coqui mp3 to play and it worked we went out like lights. Like the Big Island we use our chickens to try and put a dent into the populations but folks nada is the only thing that works unless of course you want a strange man prowling all over your property and emptying your kitchen and bank accounts...if that is the case then I'll gladly come to the Big Island. Even my screen name reflects and honors the little frog who louder than a Pentecostal preacher in a whorehouse. I'm sure the little guys came over when Puerto Ricans were hired to work on the cane plantations either in their possessions or in equipment brought by the sugar cane companies from Puerto Rico. I do suggest in showing your aloha spirit and sending some to the other islands because once they find a place they like they multiply more than rabbits do! BTW we have more than one species of coqui here and some nights its like a Baptist choir singoff outside my door and God forgive if one gets in the shower (and they do) cause they will outsing you singing the song singing in the rain

Old 10-09-2015, 04:12 PM

39 posts, read 42,259 times
https://www.city-data.com/forum/membe...ured-coqui.jpg

I submit this picture as proof I have experience in dealing with those pesky salsa singing coqui. For a nominal fee plus my living expenses I will come to the Big Island and capture as many as your bank account will allow and since it is a mortal sin to kill a coqui in Puerto Rico I will hire a nice yacht (of course at your expense) and deliver them to any of the other less fortunate islands in Hawaii. I'm guessing they will REALLY Love Kauai with its abundant rainfall and in Honolulu the singing frog will drown out the noise of any shootouts that Steve McGarrett is having with Russian terrorist to keep the Aloha State safe (for a state with strict gun laws y'all sure do have ALOT of automatic Weapons.....hmmm reminds me of Puerto Rico where you have to seek permission from a judge yet we enough more AKs than Russia). The next export Puerto Rico will share with you is all the iguanas we have.....but Iguana is quite tasty if cooked right!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island