Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2008, 01:51 PM

501 posts, read 1,192,056 times

Advertisements

There is an excellent book that I urge you to look at.....So You Want to Live in Hawaii, by Toni Polancy. You can find it online as well as in the local bookstores. Definitely has good, useful information for what to expect when living there. We bought it upon our move and were very happy that we did. :-)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2008, 02:30 PM

409 posts, read 2,634,339 times
Another thing I wanted to ask about is the University of Hawaii.

Is UH recognized Nation Wide? Does it have a good reputation?
I am thinking about getting in the Engineering program in UH but
Im clue less of their Specialty.

Old 02-15-2008, 03:48 PM

Something came up... After I told my parents I was going to move to hawaii they could not accept it and began trying to convince me not to go. I must say that they are doing a great job convincing me. I've been moving around alot but never for more than 2 years straight. I support my self 100% ever since I was 18 but now that my dad know im going away to a "far away island" he proposed to fully finance a business in mexico. Its a big business that already started. Theres alot of money to be made.

I am not all about the money though. The oportunity that my father is giving me placed me in a bad cituation. He is really exited of having me working with him in his businesess and I am happy to be around him, however I have different goals. At this point in my life I would like to travel around and look for a place I can call home. The only reason I keep coming back to my home town is for my parents....

Im afraid of turning his offer down. I already started the business he proposed. Its been 3 months and the business is very profitable. When I started the company I started it for him so he could just jump in and run it when I left but now he is threating me of just shutting down the busines if I leave. All investment and business structure lost.

I dont know what to do

Old 02-15-2008, 06:34 PM

28 posts, read 109,455 times
What part of Mexico would you be living in? There are many wonderful ,relaxed,beautiful, inexpensive places to live in Mexico....what if you were to try that out first and then decide on HI in the next few years? Your young and lucky to have time and options on your side. Go where your heart leads! I will say that Oahu does have better paying jobs and definitley more nightlife! I lived on Oahu for two years and have no regrets, but it is a tough place to make a buck unless your pretty well connected...good luck!

Old 02-15-2008, 07:29 PM

66 posts, read 354,064 times
Have you ever been to Hilo? If not I would seriously encourage you to visit first before relocating. I live on Oahu and went on a business trip with my husband to Hilo. We were there for 2 days and it will be a long time before I go back, if ever. First of all I am blond and about as white as it gets. I was stared at constantly and people thought I was a foreigner and couldn't believe I was from from Oahu. I got a lot of advice on how I could make my skin darker.

Secondly I was sexually assaulted by in a park. This man on drugs came up to me (my baby in my arms) and grabbed my breast and buttocks. Luckily I got away unharmed and ran towards some local fishermen who "saved" me from this crazy! He was prosecuted and is now out under probation. But he's still on the Big Isl.

ICE is a huge problem on the big Island and the police do not respond to all calls. There are places the police even refuse to go at night. The Big Isl does have a slower pace than Oahu but the drawbacks are that it's alot like the Wild Wild West....anything can happen.

Good Luck and PLEASE do your research, visit first and think this through!

Old 02-25-2008, 01:08 PM

It appears I will be relocating after all 6 more days and Im off to hawaii.

Old 02-25-2008, 04:56 PM

25 posts, read 233,259 times
I hope you did not move to Hilo. I do not think you will like it. It is very depressing and not uch to do. Just drugs and watching the fake hippies.

Old 02-25-2008, 11:22 PM

4 posts, read 18,901 times
I wish you lots of luck. I think this is going to be quite a bit harder for you than you realize. I am from southwest Texas and just moved here with the military. Is this your 1st move out of Texas or are you seasoned already? I would try other boards to get the most info you can. Again, good luck.

Old 02-27-2008, 09:03 AM

I will be moving to Kaiula Kona after all. I see this trip as a vacation more than permanent relocation. I will give it a try for 1 or 2 months if I like it I'll stay, if I dont I'll move on to something else. I dont consider this trip as dificult, after all I dont have anything to lose. I am optimistic and realistic at the same time. I will gain alot from this trip even if dont like it.

Old 05-26-2008, 01:32 PM

The trip Ended in failure. I stayed in Kona, Hilo, Honolulu, and Kapolei area. I really wanted to stay there but did not adapt. I believe it was a combination of home-sickness, stress, and fear to lose money that had me flying back to Texas after a couple of weeks.
I met great people and saw beautiful places. I drove and drove and drove everywhere, enjoyed the spectacular views, ate local foods, swam on some beautiful beaches, and even had a couple of job interviews. I found affordable housing in different cities. I even found a great scooter for an affordable price.

In the end however, it did not feel right and I came back to Texas. And hey, I moved somewhere else. A place I would never have guessed but ohh well. Life works in mysterious ways and we end up in the places we never expected.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island