Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2015, 11:06 PM

48 posts, read 74,706 times

Advertisements

You guys are cracking me up!

The noise I could learn to live with. Afterall, it is ag land. I just have a moral issue with it but I guess it's my own personal problem. I do worry a little about property values too.

I have seen these 'show birds' operations in person (next to a property) and on google maps. You can't miss them. I didn't even think about the possible hog farms too. We might consider getting more land for more of a buffer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2015, 11:39 PM

1,872 posts, read 2,816,051 times
While we were on the Big Island in October of 2013 we went for a walk through upper side Na'alehu and got to see rooster fighting right out in the front yard of someone's house. There were between 10 and 20 people watching and betting.
It broke my wife's heart.

Old 07-01-2015, 11:41 PM

7,029 posts, read 4,896,331 times
Don't say you can live with the noise until you have lived next to a rooster. Those things start crowing at 3am and keep crowing until 2am. It's like having a dog in the next yard barking 24/7.

In California, it's illegal to fight roosters, but it's not illegal to raise fighting roosters. Go figure.

Old 07-02-2015, 01:22 AM

Location: Southernmost tip of the southernmost island in the southernmost state
982 posts, read 1,164,105 times
Ah, the roosters are all right. We have a few chickens and one of em' turned out to be a bit less chicken-y. But We raised him from a chick amd he is now the wife's pet. Sure, the crowing starts early, but you get used to it pretty quickly. Ours is actually one of the Red Jungle Fowl variety that came over with the Polynesians. He seems a lot better of temperament than the Rhode Islands I had growing up. Hawaii is chicken paradise, if you live here, you better get used to them, heck, they even populate the landscaping down at Costco.
Sad to see them being raised for fighting, but hopefully that societal shift to where it's less tolerated will come over time.

Old 07-02-2015, 02:28 PM

834 posts, read 1,217,855 times
I have seen and heard the fighting roosters in various Big Island post offices when shipped to other islands. Totally legit apparently. Most of them are considered not 'good' for more than 2-3 fights. But then again, it is legal in our state to breed dogs in tiny cages and then eat them.

PETA to the rescue, I say.

Old 07-03-2015, 01:39 PM

2,054 posts, read 3,342,798 times
A chicken is a pet, and a very nice one at that. A rooster is a huge PITA!

Pretty sad and cruel "sport", and I am 100% against it, but you won't get very far campaigning to stop it. The awareness is just not there. You would do better by talking to the bird about that.

Old 07-03-2015, 04:28 PM

11,053 posts, read 24,031,211 times
Well, roosters are gonna fight even if people are watching or not. If they'd not put those metal spurs on them, then it wouldn't be much different from two roosters meeting up where ever. Although, generally one rooster will decide he's beaten and run away usually pretty quick when it's just a pair of roosters in the yard.

Old 07-03-2015, 05:22 PM

2,624 posts, read 7,260,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smarino View Post
A chicken is a pet, and a very nice one at that. A rooster is a huge PITA!

Pretty sad and cruel "sport", and I am 100% against it, but you won't get very far campaigning to stop it. The awareness is just not there. You would do better by talking to the bird about that.
For many folks, chickens are "livestock." Hens lay eggs and keep the coqui frog and centipede populations down, while extra roosters that are lousy at fighting are good to use for "hulihuli chicken." If one knows where to look, dogfights can still be found in Hawaiʻi as well, even though they were outlawed in 2011…
Isle dogfighting law gains teeth - Hawaii News - Honolulu Star-Advertiser

Old 07-03-2015, 06:14 PM

48 posts, read 74,706 times
Rooster and dog fighting for entertainment and financial gain is such a sad statement about humanity. It is also sad that we have to look away because it is so accepted and ingrained within the culture. I understand that dog over breeding is also an issue on the island.

Old 07-03-2015, 07:28 PM

5,529 posts, read 12,669,721 times
Tons of stray dogs and cats all over the island. There are free spay and neuter clinics, but it's hard to get people to take their animals to get fixed. We have a rescue dog and just about every one I know has one, too. It is very sad, but we're not going to change the way people choose to live. We just do our best to help the ones who can't speak for themselves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island