Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2015, 10:24 AM

48 posts, read 74,639 times

Advertisements

While shopping around for properties on the Big Island I've noticed some people raising roosters on their land which is obviously for fighting. I was told that fighting them was illegal but not raising them (they raise them on the Big Island and ship them to Honolulu). How do the locals feel about this? Is this something that is just accepted even though it devalues neighboring properties? Does anybody care about this? Can something be done to stop it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2015, 10:46 AM

2,081 posts, read 5,595,659 times
Raising chickens is legal on AG land, nothing can stop that.

Old 07-01-2015, 11:35 AM

12,120 posts, read 17,899,929 times
Also very common to raise fighting chickens on Lanai

Old 07-01-2015, 11:38 AM

5,529 posts, read 12,663,767 times
I live in a subdivision with CC&Rs that don't allow chickens/roosters. The adjoining subdivision doesn't have CC&Rs and I can hear roosters all hours of the day and night. No CC&Rs means that you probably would be stuck with roosters next to you.

I certainly wouldn't advise anyone to move to Hawaii and start complaining about their neighbor's roosters/junk cars/whatever. Especially in a rural area where they have been living like that for many, many years. They'll know who complained and they could make your life miserable.

Another reason why we tell people to look at any property and neighborhood before renting or buying!

Old 07-01-2015, 12:16 PM

11,050 posts, read 24,020,110 times
Yup, there's rooster farms. There's also pig farms. Those aren't as noisy but they are more, well, let's be polite and call them "aromatic". But, it's ag land. If you want to not have rooster farms or pig farms nearby, then either live in town (where you're still allowed chickens but it's limited to just three, I think) or in a subdivision with CC & Rs. Although living in town isn't going to keep you out of rooster land, either. My neighbor has a pet rooster and we could complain but we're not going to. He doesn't fight it, it's his pet and he actually likes to hear it crow in the morning. It is fun to watch the rooster and his two hens in their yard so it's not all bad.

Why ship roosters to Honolulu? There's undoubtedly chicken fights around here somewhere but I don't keep track of chicken fights.

Live in an area for awhile before trying to change things. Since there's folks with big rooster farms and other folks with pet roosters, for whatever reason it is there so trying to stop it until you know why it is there is just going to cause you problems. Obviously it is at some level socially accepted and trying to change things (even if it's for the better) by newcomers is not well liked at all. So, until you are part of the community, don't try to change things. And even then, go about it in a community manner.

So since you're just shopping for land and you don't already own it, just don't buy any land near a rooster farm and save yourself a lot of grief.

Old 07-01-2015, 05:51 PM

834 posts, read 1,217,200 times
The old fashioned rooster fights were cheap entertainment for poor local farmers, albeit cruel to the animals.

The current rooster fights bring trouble. High illegal betting mandates large amounts of cash floating between the participants and spectators. Which calls for safety and brings therefore illegal concealed handguns for protection. Or the ones who want to rob and bring them along. In addition illegal drugs are bartered at the sidelines to generate cash.

So if you want to buy property next door to a **** fighter breeder, be careful! The comb and waddles are cut off the birds heads and this gives it away. There's no such thing as a 'rooster farm' for any other purpose.

Old 07-01-2015, 06:50 PM

48 posts, read 74,639 times
I don't have a problem with people raising chickens which would include roosters. The problem is fighting ***s. I find it despicable and cruel but sort of expected it to be part of the culture so I just wanted to check and see what others thought about it, especially when it affects your property values. Checking to see if there is such an operation in the area you are looking to invest in would only protect you until the next operation opens up in your neighborhood. Just something else to add to my list of things to watch out for.

Old 07-01-2015, 10:44 PM

4,412 posts, read 4,897,043 times
It is easy to spot the people raising "show birds" on google earth. Each rooster gets a small section of triangular roofing that they are tethered to. Your first reaction is that if you look on google earth, maybe the image isn't updated recently enough to tell you if there is a rooster farm nearby. That doesn't matter. One could setup shop next door to you tomorrow. But the best way to tell if there is a rooster farm near a property you are interested in is to go to "your" property at about 4 am and stay there until daylight. You will instantly know. There is a rooster farm about 5 lots up from us and they are just far enough away to not bother our slumber, but if we are awake, we can hear them from about 4-6 am, and during expanded hours when it's clear skies and a full moon. The rest of the day they are either quiet or drowned out by the tourist helicopters. At this distance, the rooster farm makes far less noise to us than the random feral roosters that come right up to our house and aim their crow under our eves. It seems to amplify the sound. Our strategy is very effective, I shoot them with a .22 air rifle and we eat them. We haven't purchased chicken from a store in over 3 years.

Old 07-01-2015, 10:50 PM

11,050 posts, read 24,020,110 times
Yup, it's amazing. Rooster tastes just like chicken.

Old 07-01-2015, 10:54 PM

1,620 posts, read 2,299,608 times
Not sure what a good fighting rooster fetches these days, but in the early 2000's a friend on Maui sold his for $1,500+ each. You certainly better think twice about causing problems for the locals, rooster farmers or otherwise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island