Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2015, 01:42 PM

28 posts, read 35,396 times

Advertisements

How prominent is this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2015, 01:50 PM

11,053 posts, read 24,117,677 times
Not frequent, but nasty enough that you want to wash all vegetables you're eating raw. It's easy enough not to get it, just wash the veggies unless they are gonna be cooked. Although, generally, those still get washed anyway.

Old 08-30-2015, 02:09 PM

28 posts, read 35,396 times
Okay, thanks.

Old 08-30-2015, 07:25 PM

4,426 posts, read 4,957,385 times
Washing isn't 100% effective but if you grow your own food there are other things you can do such as practice good rat and slug/snail population control measures. You'll never be able to eradicate them but keeping their numbers limited will also limit the parasite.

Old 08-31-2015, 12:31 AM

Yup. And Corry's Slug and Snail Death is much more fun than Corry's Slug and Snail Killer. "Death" leaves little dead bodies laying about, "Killer" lets them slide away so you don't know if they were there or not.

There's a lot of little oddball things about living in Hawaii that may not be overly obvious. There's the aforementioned rat lungworm disease, as well as leptospirosis. Leptospirosis is something you catch from swimming in fresh water downhill from pastures. Both of those have fairly long term health risks and if you happen to catch them while on vacation, many mainland doctors don't know to look for them. There's also all sorts of little fungal afflictions you catch now and then as well, although they're just annoying and not that dangerous.

I'm sure most areas have their own particular little quirks.

Old 08-31-2015, 10:23 AM

Location: Southernmost tip of the southernmost island in the southernmost state
982 posts, read 1,175,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotzcatz View Post
Yup. And Corry's Slug and Snail Death is much more fun than Corry's Slug and Snail Killer. "Death" leaves little dead bodies laying about, "Killer" lets them slide away so you don't know if they were there or not.

There's a lot of little oddball things about living in Hawaii that may not be overly obvious. There's the aforementioned rat lungworm disease, as well as leptospirosis. Leptospirosis is something you catch from swimming in fresh water downhill from pastures. Both of those have fairly long term health risks and if you happen to catch them while on vacation, many mainland doctors don't know to look for them. There's also all sorts of little fungal afflictions you catch now and then as well, although they're just annoying and not that dangerous.

I'm sure most areas have their own particular little quirks.
Might be a good new thread topic. I have only been here a year, know about Rat Lung and Lepto, but would be interested to hear about other specific sources of or types of nasties to watch out for (other than coral scrapes/ocean infections, figured that one out quick).

Old 08-31-2015, 11:15 AM

A title of "Rat Lungworm" aught to cover loads of nasties, shouldn't it? Tori already has this thread covering these sorts of things, no need to proliferate threads about nasties, especially since it's not fun stuff.

Not sure if the fungal infestations have a specific name. As a generic group, I've heard it called "jungle rot", but that may not be overly medically specific. It's not specifically ringworm, although sometimes that shows up too. Jungle rot is more typical to be found on folks who live off in the jungle and have catchment water. But, it can show up anywhere and your basic antibiotic soap keeps a lid on a lot of it. Jock Itch preparations pretty much gets rid of the rest.

I don't suppose ukus (head lice) count as a particular thing to watch out for, do they?

What do you do for coral scrapes? Is there a specific for those? Somehow I've managed not to get any coral scratches that did anything or stepped on any sea urchins.

Old 08-31-2015, 11:18 AM

2,081 posts, read 5,613,197 times
I know of at least 3 people in Pahoa who caught flesh eating disease. Cleaning up after Iselle last year I got a little scratch on my foot that turned into multiple infections that took over a month to heal.

Old 08-31-2015, 12:13 PM

49 posts, read 77,226 times
East Hawaii is the epicenter for rat lungworm in Hawaii.

Old 08-31-2015, 12:58 PM

Location: Southernmost tip of the southernmost island in the southernmost state
982 posts, read 1,175,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotzcatz View Post
I don't suppose ukus (head lice) count as a particular thing to watch out for, do they?

What do you do for coral scrapes? Is there a specific for those? Somehow I've managed not to get any coral scratches that did anything or stepped on any sea urchins.
For anyone with kids contemplating a move, I think it does warrant a mention that headlice (ukus) are very prevalent here. Between my two daughters, only one ever caught them on the mainland, and that was one time. Here, my one daughter has already had them twice in a year.
As for coral scrapes (or in-water lava rock), they just get good old neosporin or another antibiotic ointment. Minor scrapes that I wouldn't pay any attention too on the mainland get a liberal application of antibiotic ointment here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island