Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2015, 03:18 PM

2,054 posts, read 3,342,798 times

Advertisements

Nothing wrong w/ Richardsons or Four Mile. Good water there, although it's cold this time of year. I would avoid any rivers. That's where the bacteria tend to be, and where lawn and crop chemicals tend to run into.

On most properties, your real problem is going to be digging, period. A lot of the island is hardened lava w/ just a little topsoil on top. When I first saw someone cutting their entire yard w/ a weed wacker, I thought they were, well, wacky. But tearing the crankshaft out of a mower when you hit hard lava is not fun, so it made sense.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2015, 08:01 PM

353 posts, read 437,494 times
Hotzcatz, thank you! I am a healthy person and take precautions, but unfortunately, I am also a worry wart and a hypochondriac to boot. It is a good thing you are not a doctor b/c I would be asking you questions all day long!!

Thanks for the recommendation about Takunagas. I heard about that place and will definitely go there for fishing supplies and advice. Is there a government site that has guidelines for fishing sites?

Old 12-12-2015, 08:12 PM

So, I have one more worry if you all can help me out again: rat lung worm.

I heard about it, but wasn't too concerned b/c I am careful to wash all raw produce.

However, today, I was looking at a house in Papaikou with a fruit tree. I was about to take an orange off the ground and the landlord literally shouts: "NO!" I asked why? those are the ripest ones. and then she's says: "rat lung worm".

Then, of course I started reading about the disease. It seems that produce is the main culprit, but not the only one. In fact I read some where that even touching the slug/snail slime is risky.

Now, I know that there are not many cases in the state, and that I am blowing this way out of proportion, but what I want to know is: Should I be careful walking around barefooted on my own yard in case I step on a slug or worse, slug/snail slime which you can't even see??? What about my doggie? She eats grass. What if she eats a grass with slime on it? I heard a cat and horse came down with it.

Listen, I know I am totally crazy. But I would appreciate an honest answer (try to be kind even though it might be tough).

Old 12-12-2015, 09:06 PM

Smarino. Thank you! I didn't know about 4 mile. gotta check it out. I saw people fishing the bay from the rock wall near Wainaku. Is this legal? safe to eat fish? or is it catch and release only?

I can use garden boxes and commercial soil to plant my garden I guess

Old 12-12-2015, 09:11 PM

5,529 posts, read 12,669,721 times
Yes, you are worrying WAY too much. It's smart to be careful, but you don't have to live in a cocoon. If you feel that do, then Hawaii is not for you.

I have lived here almost six years. I'm part of a community garden, and we are just careful to always wash the produce before eating. Never have gotten sick. My dog and I walk barefoot in our yard, and we've never gotten sick. If I happen to touch a slug, I wash my hands with soap and hot water. With the recent dengue problem, I am more careful to always use insect repellent.

I live on a property with a cesspool and have never worried about the soil being contaminated. The first ten feet are encased in concrete, and then the "stuff" goes down into the lava. Anything we are growing on the surface does not get affected by the waste.

There are all sorts of creepy, crawlies in Hawaii. Right now we are being attacked by little fire ants and the coffee beetle borer in addition to the others that you've brought up. Just keep yourself informed and be smart.

Old 12-12-2015, 09:36 PM

10,557 posts, read 7,755,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jane M View Post
However, today, I was looking at a house in Papaikou with a fruit tree. I was about to take an orange off the ground and the landlord literally shouts: "NO!" I asked why? those are the ripest ones. and then she's says: "rat lung worm"..
If you were planning to thoroughly lick the orange before peeling, I can understand the concern. Otherwise, I don't get it.

It's conceivable that your pet could contract the rat lungworm, though very unlikely.

Regarding the fishing, I agree with Hotzcatz. Shore fishing is likely to be a disappointment anyway, unless

you head to South Point.

Old 12-13-2015, 10:05 PM

11,050 posts, read 24,031,211 times
I'm sure there were things to be concerned about where you lived before, Jane, although perhaps since they were familiar things to worry about, they weren't so worrisome, as it were. Now, in a new environment, there's new and different things to watch out for so that may make them seem a bit more worrisome than they need to be. Things will mellow out once they aren't so new and different anymore, don't you think?

What sort of things did you used to have to worry about that aren't here? Snakes? Alligators? Bears? Chipmunks and squirrels in the bird feeder? Ah ha! Humming bird attacks! You're safe from hummingbird attacks here. So, there's good things. There is a moth that sort of acts like a humming bird sometimes, but I don't think we have any actual hummers.

If it has a peel on it, I don't worry about rat lung worm or leptospirosis or anything else dire. At least, as long as I'm not eating the peel.

Fishing in Hawaii is different than mainland fishing so it takes awhile to figure out the differences. We did go drown a few lures the other day and didn't get anything other than a stick fish.

Old 12-14-2015, 04:31 PM

Hi Hotzcatz,

In california, the only thing I was paranoid about was poison oak and mountain lions. I am REALLY allergic to poison oak and everything with urushiol like mango skin, cashews, etc.. Also, I am a runner and mountain lions are really common even in urban areas.. They tell you they only hunt early dawn or at dusk. But this isn't true. Mountain lions show themselves at all times of the day and they will attack humans b/c they are not scared of them at all. The amount of attacks are low, but we had a recent one where the lioness attacked a small child who was with a GROUP of adults in the middle of the day. Of course, bears are a huge concern for me (not in the bay, tho). Had to cut a trip to Glacier NP b/c seeing the claw marks in trees and bear scat just freaked me out and I didn't want to hike anywhere. Plus, the day I arrived a female bear attacked a GROUP of people lead by a forest ranger with heavy duty bear spray and nothing stopped her from attacking. I don't remember if anyone was killed, but people were hurt. Snakes don't bother me at all. Even if they are poisonous.

Old 12-14-2015, 06:46 PM

10,557 posts, read 7,755,116 times
Quote:
. Snakes don't bother me at all. Even if they are poisonous.
A lot more people worldwide are bitten and killed by snakes than by bears.

Regarding your concerns at Glacier Bay National Park in Alaska, I believe there is only one documented fatal attack there, 40 years ago.

Denali National Park in Alaska didn't have a single fatal attack until just a couple years ago.

I've seen wild boar a few times while running in Hawaii. Like bears, they just run away.

I do carry a thick piece of bamboo though, because dogs aren't as intelligent as pigs.

Old 12-14-2015, 08:17 PM

5,529 posts, read 12,669,721 times
Quote:
Hi Hotzcatz,

In california, the only thing I was paranoid about was poison oak and mountain lions.
Regarding poison ivy, the thing you have to watch out for in Hawaii is mango rash. The sap and skin on the mango is in the poison ivy family and causes a very itchy bubbly rash. I got some on my hands this year for the first time. I can still eat mango (thankfully), but don't handle anything to do with them until they are peeled.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island