Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2016, 12:05 PM

2,081 posts, read 5,594,580 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hapci534 View Post
A look at Undara suggests my vision was of a lava tube indeed. The "walk up from the concert cave into a forest" photo is how the exit looked.

I guess when I'm deemed ready for it, the place will be revealed to me.
Look up Kazumura Cave. it's the longest, deepest known cave in the World. It runs from Volcano to Paradise Park.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2016, 02:29 PM

311 posts, read 450,501 times
Kazamura looks pretty cool. It does not look as wide as Undara, which you could drive several city buses into, side by side, but it looks to be much longer. And there are certainly no rainforests around Undara.

Old 01-31-2016, 12:17 AM

90 posts, read 104,675 times
(Mind = still blown, after reading up on Kazumura)...

100+ access points, 41 miles long... a cave that stayed hidden for 500 years until the month I was born.

Old 01-31-2016, 12:47 AM

There's a photo somewhere online of a big bulldozer that fell into it a few years back. There are many other tubes on the island, Kaumana cave, Kula Kai caverns, Pahoa cave that runs from town all the way down to the ocean under Hawaiian Beaches, Leilani cave, many others.

Old 01-31-2016, 02:11 AM

11,049 posts, read 24,014,485 times
Someone's cow fell into it, too, several years ago. I forget if the cow was terribly injured or not, though. I've also heard that someone went from Hawaiian Acres to the ocean in the caves, but that may have just been a wild tale. There was beer involved at the time, so I'm not gonna figure on much validity.

Old 01-31-2016, 02:01 PM

2,993 posts, read 4,301,121 times
I know this has been addressed but I keep getting conflicting info. I understand the the big island has building codes. However people on here talk of all the unpermitted houses, shacks and even boats being used as housing. I also know people who go to the big island that say there are areas where it seems no one cares what you build.

What happens to the people living in unpermitted houses. Are the forced to buy a permit? Do they have to tear the house down if it can't be permitted? Do they get fined? What about buying a unpermitted house, obviously you won't get financed by a bank, but is it legal to live in? Will the county crack down hard on you, or just give you a slap on the wrist and tell you to get it permitted?

Or does it only effect home insurance and re sale value. Even the realtors on CL sell unpermitted homes. I wouldn't mind owning some land that I visit for a few months a year in the winter. I would want some sort of small dwelling on it, but wouldn't want to drop $30k plus to get an official up to code home at first. Can you get more leeway with codes by buying agricultural zoned land or does it not matter?

What's the deal?

Old 01-31-2016, 03:50 PM

It goes back to the 3 rules of real estate; location, location, location. Any subdivision with CCR's will put a stop to it sooner or later. They have more clout than the county. Nanawale for example will fine you every month a cabin exists, Leilani is the same. The county usually won't get involved unless there is a complaint, or multiple complaints. If your place is 100% to code you can usually get it permitted, but there are fines involved. If you apply for a permit then the county may order it demolished. (Don't ask, don't tell). You cannot get insurance. Usually the only time you will hear about an illegal building is when there is some notoriety attached, like one guy who built right in Volcano Village, I believe the county bulldozed that one, and two that were near the ocean, one in paradise park several years ago where somebody complained and when the inspector came out, the owner pulled a gun, that one sat for several years before being torn down. Another where some guy in Kalapana built a large, impressive "Greek temple" by the ocean without a survey that turned out to be on state land. That one was torn down and moved to another parcel where it still is. The more land you have, the less likely you'd have hassles.

Old 01-31-2016, 03:56 PM

2,993 posts, read 4,301,121 times
Thank you, so if I bought 10 acres of rural ag land outside of a subdivision with CC&Rs, I would face less "problems" then if I bought one of the 1-3 acre spaghetti lots? I'm not talk about building a full on expensive home, more along the lines of a tiny house/cabin.

Old 01-31-2016, 04:08 PM

It could work on a spaghetti lot as long as it's not lined up next to your neighbor. In other words, closer to the front or the back and out of their sight. A friend lived in Blacksand beach for years and said about her neighbors; "As long as I can't hear you or smell you we'll get along fine". The county has, by the way, recently enacted a law that will let you put up a 120 sq. ft. building with no permit on residential lots and 600 sq. ft. on AG land. You cannot call it a house or "legally" live there.

Old 01-31-2016, 04:56 PM

10,545 posts, read 7,735,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6.7traveler View Post
Thank you, so if I bought 10 acres of rural ag land outside of a subdivision with CC&Rs, I would face less "problems" then if I bought one of the 1-3 acre spaghetti lots? I'm not talk about building a full on expensive home, more along the lines of a tiny house/cabin.
Not necessarily.

I know of some folks from Homer who built and lived in a pallet house for years, right along a road in one of the 3 acre "spaghetti" lot subdivisions.

They've since upgraded their home to conventional framing, but I'm sure no permit has been pulled.

As Leilaniguy has said, the County is not going to bust your chops.

The phone company doesn't care if you're permitted or not, dunno about the power company.

But, chances are you won't be interested in either of them.

So, if you're not worried about insurance or resale value, it's certainly a lot easier to go this route.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island