Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2015, 06:21 PM

252 posts, read 659,936 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
Even if they insured with a "fire/lava" exception, I don't see how a bank would find that acceptable.
Sorry just seen you commented on this part. A friend of mine has a mortgage on their home in Lava Zone 1 Leilani and her insurance does have the lava exclusion for fire. She sent me a copy of her policy last year when I was looking for a less expensive carrier. The bank as far as I know did not comment on the exclusion as she still got her loan on the property. That was last year before the flow though things may be different now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2015, 11:50 PM

252 posts, read 659,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
Spoiler
SATIRICAL COMMENTARY ENSUES! Don't get too worked up over it!

"
Dang the "spoiler" kept me from getting all worked up! Now what am I supposed to do?

Old 01-11-2015, 12:12 AM

7 posts, read 12,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 67Cam View Post
I'd be curious to hear if you're able to secure a mortgage and obtain mortgage insurance with the current lava situation. LE was one of the locations I too was interested in, but would have to consider the effects of the lava on mortgages, insurance and property value...
Well, I've been doing some research. It turns out my credit union has a branch in Hawaii and they'll do mortgage loans for houses in Hawaii. They'll also lend if you want to buy raw land (many banks will only lend if the land already has a house on it). So I talked to a loan officer today. My credit union will NOT lend money for houses in Lava Zone1 OR Lava Zone 2. So unless I'm paying cash for a house (right) I cannot buy a house in Leilani Estates. Guess it really wasn't meant to be.

Old 01-11-2015, 12:51 AM

189 posts, read 260,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyrnaUkelele View Post
They'll also lend if you want to buy raw land (many banks will only lend if the land already has a house on it).
I will be shocked if this is not a construction loan....which some banks in HI do. Now if this a loan for land only with no contingencies and with only the land as collateral now that will be someting new since they all seemed to stop doing that after the financial crisis. Do let me know please.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island