Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2008, 01:15 PM

4 posts, read 23,459 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are within days of making our purchase final.
We have been looking at property and researching as best we could on line since last August. In January we traveled to the big island to look at our favorite properties. We fell in love with Leilani Estates and knew that was where we wanted to be.
We are ok with the Lava zone, ok with coqui frogs, ok with rain. We thought
we were ok the the geothermal plant, but we only spoke to people who wanted to sell their property! Now, I am concerned about what I am reading about health risks and illnesses due to the plant.
If anybody has any information on the health effects, or quality of life
ie: noise, odor etc. will you please share? Are residents of Leilani Estates
healthy and happy? Would it matter where in the development you are located? We are considering a house on Kahukai st.
Ps: Leilani guy, if you read this, I am curious, what street are you on and how long have you lived there?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2008, 03:18 PM

1,178 posts, read 5,942,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Punadise View Post
We have been looking at property and researching as best we could on line since last August. In January we traveled to the big island to look at our favorite properties. We fell in love with Leilani Estates and knew that was where we wanted to be.
we were ok the the geothermal plant, but we only spoke to people who wanted to sell their property! Now, I am concerned about what I am reading about health risks and illnesses due to the plant.
healthy and happy? Would it matter where in the development you are located? We are considering a house on Kahukai st.
Ps: Leilani guy, if you read this, I am curious, what street are you on and how long have you lived there?
Here's a report on the threat to public health from the plant.

ATSDR - Health Consultation - Puna Geothermal Venture, Pahoa (Puna District), Hawaii County, Hawaii

As I read it, there is no threat from the concentrations measured over a one year monitoring period, and the plans for protection of the public in case of an unplanned release are adequate.

Old 02-08-2008, 07:22 PM

2,081 posts, read 5,597,423 times
I live 2 blocks in from the highway. I've been here since 1999. Geothermal can make some noise when drilling is going on, but that is rare,(maybe 1-2 days in a year) otherwise there is no noise or odor. It's easy to forget it's there. Kahukai street is about 3 miles long and only the east end is close to geo.

Old 02-08-2008, 09:24 PM

1,375 posts, read 6,304,014 times
Hi Punadise,

I don't live in Leilani, so the residents will be better source of info as to the day-to-day changes, but I do have a listing at the lower end of Kahukai and I've been down there several times to put up/check the sign...once when stopping by the across the street neighbor came over to chat for a while. She said she occasionally hears it, but it has never been something that bothers her.

Check your Seller's Disclosure--if there is any unusual amount of noise at the property you are considering purchasing, there should be disclosure.

Old 06-07-2010, 11:56 AM

10 posts, read 34,018 times
Too far from civilization, yes, pretty and low cost but you'll get tired of trips to Hilo. Pahoa is about to open a new very big Long's decent but costly super mkt in Pahoa. A great farmers mkt. only open Sunday go figure. Best, Bill in HPP

Old 07-05-2010, 05:05 PM

2 posts, read 17,777 times
I have lived in Leilani Estates for 12 years and The Geothermal has never been a problem. As stated there is some noise when drilling in day time but you will never hear it at night over the cocqui's.
I just wished our energy was free!

Old 07-05-2010, 05:11 PM

2 posts, read 17,777 times
Too far from civilization?, Bill, sadly Civilization is moving in all around us. As the area grows you can bet your bottom dollar that Shipman will build their shopping center in Keaau.
Just my two cents worth

Old 07-05-2010, 06:05 PM

3,752 posts, read 11,512,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Punadise View Post
The volcano is much more of a threat than the geothermal plant as it degases hydrogen sulfide at a much greater rate. This plant is the newer, closed system as opposed to the old-style plants that simply released all of the extra steam after it was used.

Old 12-18-2014, 09:00 PM

7 posts, read 12,730 times
Default Are we crazy?

We've decided Puna is the place for us. We like Leilani Estates and have found a house we'd like to buy. With the lava flowing and about to cut off Hwy. 130 are we crazy to consider buying here? Leilaniguy are you still on this forum? What are your thoughts on this? Are Leilani residents worried that the lava will come their way? Or just resigned to longer commutes into Hilo via RR?

Old 12-18-2014, 09:43 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,439,744 times
Yeah, I'd pay 50 cents on the dollar for property in Leilani Estates about right now, maybe a little more if there's room if there's room to put in a Helipad.

Once the lava cuts off Hwy 130, life will be hell in lower Puna for a long time to come.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island