Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2016, 09:01 PM

1,823 posts, read 2,277,820 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jungjohann View Post
If the primary support for the continuation of your very existence is dependent upon the proximity of a friggin costco store, then you can't afford to live here to begin with.
I was just pointing out to the OP that I also like Costco. Obviously, you have some problem with Costco. Maybe you can't afford the membership fee, or you have some kind of disdain for big box stores in general. I actually prefer Sam's Club over Costco. I have a business membership at Sam's Club and an Executive membership at Costco. The higher level memberships actually pay for themselves because of the higher discount rates. I spend thousands of dollars every year at both Sam's Club and Costco. Rental cars are also available from Costco. There are huge discounts from major car rental companies bought through Costco, instead of directly, or through other vendors, pays for years of membership fees for only a two week car rental.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2016, 10:30 PM

11,053 posts, read 24,038,603 times
We'd not hardly ever go to Kailua-Kona if it weren't for the Costco over there. Not that we particularly like Costco, it just seems we end up going over there about once a month. We almost always meet someone we know from the other side of the island while we're there, so maybe one of Costco's purposes is to give the island an island-wide meeting place?

Old 12-01-2016, 11:57 PM

Location: not sure, but there's a hell of a lot of water around here!
2,682 posts, read 7,574,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davephan View Post
Maybe you can't afford the membership fee
I've got iced coffee coming out my nose over that one. Thanks for the laugh... Fact is, I've lived her since M.B.C., and I miss the old days.

Old 12-02-2016, 08:05 PM

4,416 posts, read 4,906,711 times
We underestimated the importance of mail delivery. Most of rural Hawaii doesn't have mail delivery, and when we moved here amazon and other online shopping was a "thing" but since our move the drift (because of savings) away from brick and mortar stores to online has exploded.

Getting things delivered to our home, instead of driving to the post office and waiting... and waiting... and waiting in line at the PO for our shopping, would be a significant improvement to our quality of life, not to mention financial savings of not having to drive to the PO and back burning gas to get our stuff.

If I had to choose between county water and mail service, I would pick mail service. We've never run out of catchment water but the waiting in line at the post office gets old quickly and frequently.

My opinion is just a snapshot of current times. Things might be drastically different in 5 years.

Old 12-02-2016, 08:45 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,914,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by terracore View Post
We underestimated the importance of mail delivery. Most of rural Hawaii doesn't have mail delivery

Things might be drastically different in 5 years.
The area will benefit from drone delivery - could be commonplace in 5 years.

Old 12-02-2016, 10:59 PM

2,081 posts, read 5,598,734 times
Quote:
We underestimated the importance of mail delivery. Most of rural Hawaii doesn't have mail delivery, and when we moved here amazon and other online shopping was a "thing" but since our move the drift (because of savings) away from brick and mortar stores to online has exploded.

Getting things delivered to our home, instead of driving to the post office and waiting... and waiting... and waiting in line at the PO for our shopping, would be a significant improvement to our quality of life, not to mention financial savings of not having to drive to the PO and back burning gas to get our stuff.

If I had to choose between county water and mail service, I would pick mail service. We've never run out of catchment water but the waiting in line at the post office gets old quickly and frequently.

My opinion is just a snapshot of current times. Things might be drastically different in 5 years.
Oh yeah. A few years back I got a package from Harry & David's in Oregon. It went there and here and back again at least six times. By the time I got it, in late February, it was a dried up mess that didn't even smell, there was really nothing in the box. I had no idea what it ever was. Last time I got a Christmas "goody dift" from the mainland it had fireants in the package, so I dumped it out right at the mailbox. Oh thanks so very much!

few years back

Old 12-02-2016, 11:51 PM

Quote:

Maybe you could ship your packages to a UPS store near you. The UPS store might not be any closer than the local post office, but the UPS stores are run more efficiently than the post offices, and the waiting time is much less. Having the package delivered to the UPS store adds about $5 for each package. I've thought about using the UPS store to avoid the risk of having someone steal packages from the front door step. But so far I haven't experienced any package thefts, maybe because our crime rate is very low. The people in my city are willing to pay more in taxes to have plenty of police, and a lot of city snow plows on giant dump trucks, not on pickup trucks or small garbage trucks.

But in your situation, where you don't even have package delivery service, maybe using the UPS store would improve your life, saving you time waiting in line. I think that they automatically send you an email or text when a package is ready for pickup.

Old 12-03-2016, 12:21 AM

5,528 posts, read 12,674,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davephan View Post
Maybe you could ship your packages to a UPS store near you. The UPS store might not be any closer than the local post office, but the UPS stores are run more efficiently than the post offices, and the waiting time is much less. Having the package delivered to the UPS store adds about $5 for each package. I've thought about using the UPS store to avoid the risk of having someone steal packages from the front door step. But so far I haven't experienced any package thefts, maybe because our crime rate is very low. The people in my city are willing to pay more in taxes to have plenty of police, and a lot of city snow plows on giant dump trucks, not on pickup trucks or small garbage trucks.

But in your situation, where you don't even have package delivery service, maybe using the UPS store would improve your life, saving you time waiting in line. I think that they automatically send you an email or text when a package is ready for pickup.
Really bad idea. The post office is five miles from my house. The nearest UPS store is fifty-nine miles from my house.

Old 12-03-2016, 06:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreaming of Hawaii View Post
Really bad idea. The post office is five miles from my house. The nearest UPS store is fifty-nine miles from my house.
That would be too far to drive, unless you worked on a regular basis near the UPS store, or you drove to that area for shopping on a regular basis. There are some big-time commuters at my work who drive 70 to 120 miles, or more, each way, every workday for many years. They do that because the jobs away from a big metropolitan area don't pay much. On rare occasions, I drive 10 miles into the office, but most of the time, I work from home, so I don't like driving any more than I have to. So, I know what you mean by driving a lot.

Old 12-03-2016, 10:04 PM

941 posts, read 1,967,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
The area will benefit from drone delivery - could be commonplace in 5 years.
Genius, really! Could be a viable business idea soon. I hadn't realized lots of the big island doesn't have mail delivery. Here on Kauai, we have delivery everywhere, except people who live in unpermitted ADUs and their landlord doesn't allow it. Come to think of it, the PO boxes are pretty busy places.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island