Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2017, 04:58 PM

2,081 posts, read 5,594,580 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mijax View Post
Good morning Leilaniguy,

Can you elaborate on why "Not a good idea"?
You never know what you will get on Craigslist. Airbnb and VRBO have insurance to protect you and the property owner. Most offerings on CL are illegal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2017, 05:40 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,894,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leilaniguy View Post
Most offerings on CL are illegal.
What would make it illegal? I was under the impression that unlike Oahu and Maui, vacation rentals aren't regulated on the Big Island......

Old 06-27-2017, 06:47 PM

2,081 posts, read 5,594,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
What would make it illegal? I was under the impression that unlike Oahu and Maui, vacation rentals aren't regulated on the Big Island......
A couple of things come to mind. Everyone I know that is in the business charges TAT and sends it to the state, and I've seen ads for "glamping" in a tent in someone's yard, specifically illegal.

Old 06-27-2017, 09:39 PM

4,410 posts, read 4,893,246 times
You can use Craigslist after you get here when you are going to meet the landlord in person and view the place before making a decision (we did, 100% good experience) but I wouldn't use it for a vacation rental. Short or long-term rentals, fine. Any situation where you asked to pay for something before you see it, NEVER.

Old 06-27-2017, 10:23 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,894,590 times
The op said 3-6 months and that's challenging to call that short term or find a "vacation rental" with months of open availability unless open to moving around constantly. A sublet is likely to be much less expensive

Old 06-28-2017, 09:50 AM

52 posts, read 46,453 times
Thanks everyone for your responses. Given me a few more ideas on how to proceed with my move.

Thanks!!

Old 06-28-2017, 01:20 PM

2,095 posts, read 1,556,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mijax View Post
Yeah, I get that... But at the same time if I were an agent I'd be willing to spend a few minutes giving a list of possible rentals so somebody who might turn out to be a buyer I could represent in a real estate purchase. Maybe they've been burned by people in the past who don't actually show up to the island... but if it were me I'd still do it. Guess I'm just "hungry" by nature & willing to take a chance.

I'm talking to my agent who just sold my house and he's checking into setting me up with an agent on BI. We'll see how it goes.

As always thanks for the insight...
Winnar!

and dealing with the 100 mainland people and actually have 1 do business with them is a huge waste of their time. so most buisnesses won't bother working with you unless you fly to the island, basically putting chips on the table, so to speak.

Old 07-03-2017, 04:47 PM

I know people who contacted the owner of the VRBO and negotiated long-term rates. Some of the hotels in Hilo do that as well. I think the Hilo Seaside Hotel does it.

"and dealing with the 100 mainland people and actually have 1 do business with them is a huge waste of their time. so most buisnesses won't bother working with you unless you fly to the island, basically putting chips on the table, so to speak."

That is very true. When we were setting things up on the BI prior to our move I got COMPLETELY different responses from people and businesses after I bought a $15 Tracfone at Walmart and activated it with an 808 area code.

Old 07-03-2017, 05:23 PM

2,095 posts, read 1,556,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by terracore View Post
I know people who contacted the owner of the VRBO and negotiated long-term rates. Some of the hotels in Hilo do that as well. I think the Hilo Seaside Hotel does it.

"and dealing with the 100 mainland people and actually have 1 do business with them is a huge waste of their time. so most buisnesses won't bother working with you unless you fly to the island, basically putting chips on the table, so to speak."

That is very true. When we were setting things up on the BI prior to our move I got COMPLETELY different responses from people and businesses after I bought a $15 Tracfone at Walmart and activated it with an 808 area code.
that's probably a very good suggestion for people seriously looking to move and engage the services of local businesses. At the very least, you can get hopefully get the preliminary stuff out of the way, then do the face to face when you get here. Of course if they want you to come to their office upfront, you might be out of luck.

Old 07-04-2017, 05:58 PM

When we decided to move here, on one of our realty scouting trips we got a PO Box. So with that and our Tracfone we had a "local" telephone number and mailing address. The PO box proved priceless when we actually moved and needed someplace to ship a dozen or so parcel post boxes because we didn't yet have a permanent residence lined up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
View detailed profiles of: