Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2017, 05:41 PM

52 posts, read 46,496 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone,

My family (wife, son and me) will be relocating to BI fairly soon. After some vacationing on the Kona side we plan to be heading over to the Hilo side on August 1st. I'm looking at my options for a short term rental while I view other rental options - longer term 3-6 months. Plan is to rent for a while as we look for a home to purchase. We've been to BI / Hilo side many times in the past so I have a pretty good idea where I want to live, but I don't want to just commit to a rental sight unseen. Does anyone have any suggestions on a short term rental - couple weeks to a month, other than doing a VRBO or Airbnb?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2017, 07:56 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,910,958 times
Craigslist under sublet

Old 06-27-2017, 01:44 AM

2,081 posts, read 5,597,423 times
Not a good idea.

Old 06-27-2017, 08:09 AM

5,529 posts, read 12,669,721 times
I suggest looking through the calendars of the VRBOs that look good to you. If they have gaps that work with your timing, you could contact them and see if they would give you a discount for a one-month rental.

Old 06-27-2017, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
Craigslist under sublet
Thanks.. hadn't thought of that.

Old 06-27-2017, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leilaniguy View Post
Not a good idea.
Good morning Leilaniguy,

Can you elaborate on why "Not a good idea"?

Old 06-27-2017, 12:21 PM

11,053 posts, read 24,031,211 times
Scammers, mostly as well as you want to see places in person no matter who lists them before you rent. Craig's List has no controls on it where as the AirBnB and VBRO have feedback and such.

Perhaps you could start your 6 month rental search at the beginning of your vacation time in Kona? It's not like you couldn't still do vacation things while looking for a rental.

Some Realtors also handle rentals, perhaps if you find one who handles sales as well as rentals, they can dovetail the rental/buy situation for you.

Old 06-27-2017, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotzcatz View Post
Some Realtors also handle rentals, perhaps if you find one who handles sales as well as rentals, they can dovetail the rental/buy situation for you.

Thanks hotzcatz. Good advice.

I have reached out to a couple Realtors asking for assistance with short term rentals & also letting them know I'll need a buyers agent for when we purchase. But surprisingly I have not received responses from them. I guess I picked the two least hungry agents on the island. I'll reach out to a couple more - Maybe I'll start a new thread asking for referrals.

Thanks again! Advice is much appreciated!!

Old 06-27-2017, 02:03 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,910,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mijax View Post

I have reached out to a couple Realtors asking for assistance with short term rentals & also letting them know I'll need a buyers agent for when we purchase. But surprisingly I have not received responses from them.
I'm not surprised, on any island, the vast majority, not all - aren't going to want to deal with you until you physically get on island (or in the immediate future).

Practically none deal with rentals. Not all, but most.

And in my experience, you'll find getting calls back in general often don't happen or only after several tries, especially landlords

Old 06-27-2017, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
I'm not surprised, on any island, the vast majority, not all - aren't going to want to deal with you until you physically get on island (or in the immediate future).
Yeah, I get that... But at the same time if I were an agent I'd be willing to spend a few minutes giving a list of possible rentals so somebody who might turn out to be a buyer I could represent in a real estate purchase. Maybe they've been burned by people in the past who don't actually show up to the island... but if it were me I'd still do it. Guess I'm just "hungry" by nature & willing to take a chance.

I'm talking to my agent who just sold my house and he's checking into setting me up with an agent on BI. We'll see how it goes.

As always thanks for the insight...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
View detailed profiles of: