Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2018, 01:46 PM

130 posts, read 152,714 times

Advertisements

I would welcome vacation rentals in Eden Roc. They tend to be not bad neighbors compared to some of the alternatives (ie: not rooster farms, meth labs, etc..)

I understand the desire to keep up the long term rental inventory, but don't agree with the idea that the house is 'owed' to renters. If you want more long term rentals, change the tilt on the landlord/tenant rights/responsibilities front and maybe you'll see more home owners willing to rent long term (I am a long term rental landlord and so far mostly happy with how things are working, but many landlords have had poor experiences)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2018, 02:08 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,910,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikereilly View Post

If you want more long term rentals, change the tilt on the landlord/tenant rights/responsibilities front and maybe you'll see more home owners willing to rent long term
Or, ban vacation rentals.

Old 02-24-2018, 12:59 AM

7 posts, read 13,901 times
Default This Can't Be Good For the Real Estate Market On the Big Island

I wonder who is getting paid off in the county government to push this nonsense. Every time I turn around I see some county of Hawaii scheme to make the out of state real estate investor pay more in taxes. The last one was to soak the out of state owner for the public schools. Everyone complains about how there are no reasonably price long term rentals. Do the the fools over at the county imagine that any tax increases won't be passed on to tenants given the tight rental market? Also, who wants to stay in the so called tourist zones anyway with all the hotels and hustle and bustle. I come to Hawaii to get away from all that nonsense.

I might also add that the biggest reason for a shortage of rentals is due to the high cost and long time frames one has to endure to get any kind of building permit not to mention the associated high cost of building. No wonder many say screw it and take shortcuts. The latest boondoggle is the total ban of cesspools. I'm not saying some sensitive areas should not be limited to septic or innovative waste disposal systems. A blanket ban is just plain lazy and a windfall to the septic installers. I'm getting to the point where I am considering transitioning out of Hawaii while the market is good. I'm definitely not buying any more inventory given the attitude of the county on investment real estate. Prices are getting too crazy anyway and too many amateurs getting in over the heads and paying too much for the amount of work and hassle involved on renovating the properties. Looks like the party is over.

Old 02-24-2018, 02:23 AM

90 posts, read 104,860 times
I don't think one should be too concerned about private rentals. I am on airbnb too as a customer, the site pretty much never delivers. Every time I try to reserve a place for some quick trip that just came up, after cruising airbnb for a couple of hours, I end up paying some hotel $$$, because lookie - I could actually push a button, get a hotel room and be DONE!

Same thing with klutzing around with installing some Uber app vs just calling a cab. There is no contest.

Old 02-24-2018, 08:29 AM

10,557 posts, read 7,758,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hapci534 View Post
I don't think one should be too concerned about private rentals. I am on airbnb too as a customer, the site pretty much never delivers. Every time I try to reserve a place for some quick trip that just came up, after cruising airbnb for a couple of hours, I end up paying some hotel $$$, because lookie - I could actually push a button, get a hotel room and be DONE!

Same thing with klutzing around with installing some Uber app vs just calling a cab. There is no contest.
Opposite impressions here. My wife got an Air B and B near the HNL airport and saved herself $175 compared to the price of the hotel there.

I encouraged my daughter to take taxi from DC airport to residence in the area, so she did. Taxi driver went wrong way, despite being given directions, and overcharged her. Never again, she said. It's Uber from now on.

You lock in price in advance, super easy to use-my experience with them has been favorable too.

Old 02-25-2018, 10:04 AM

206 posts, read 466,360 times
AirBNB needs to stay the hell out of residential neighborhoods. We have a housing crisis on the big island where people already here can't find affordable, long-term housing because the stock has been turned into vacation rentals for tourists. So, I welcome this bill.

Old 02-28-2018, 02:22 AM

2,378 posts, read 1,315,279 times
I see many long term rentals on Craigslist, but most of the rentals are going $1500 and above from what I have seen. Our main concern is our cat being allowed. For a rental I would like to stay $2000 and under, but willing to go up to $2700. Finding a place that will allow our cat will be the deciding factor of whether we have to buy. I would much rather rent for 6 months to a year before buying.

Old 03-19-2019, 03:40 PM

1 posts, read 574 times
I will NEVER allow my home to become a long term rental again. People that don't pay rent, destroy your property ( 17 holes in doors and walls, swastica and white power painted on fridge, do or deal ice, barter agreements for rent/work not held up, etc.), loud fighting and shouting. I will keep it empty before that happens again.

We don't rent long term because the tenants have all the rights and the owners can't recover the losses. Three months to evict allows too much damage to occur with no legal recourse. Oh, you can get a judgement for damages that will wreck their credit report but big deal, they have no credit anyway.

You all forget about the locals we employ to clean, maintain, repair, and beautify our homes on an island that has tourism as the primary industry. It is all related! There are 10,000 visitors a day to the state. Why penalize mom and pop operators trying to just break even on their summer/vacation home.

Old 03-19-2019, 04:31 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,910,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markss View Post
Three months to evict allows too much damage to occur with no legal recourse.
There are certainly pros and cons to having a rental property.

Regardless, it does not take 3 months to evict tenants in Hawaii - Hawaii is actually one of the easier states to bring eviction, it is fairly landlord friendly. Even a highly contested eviction should not take more than a month.

Old 03-21-2019, 10:39 PM

65 posts, read 86,971 times
will it work as well as the law that says that you have to pay taxes on that rental or you cant shoot off certain types of fireworks?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island