Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2019, 11:43 PM

172 posts, read 146,229 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
This is such a huge over the top exaggeration.

For the record, Hawaii is very landlord friendly and it is relatively easy to evict. Me thinks some have watched the movie Pacific Heights one to many times.
Not my experience at all. Ive had the police tell me squatters with no lease agreement would not be ousted, at least by them. This was in Kohala. Also, last year when i tried to have someone evicted there was evidently no one in that capacity on the Big Island. If I wanted that service it was going to cost me approximately $12K to fly a Sherrif from Maui.
I got out of the long term rental thing for good. After countless late payments, deadbeats and destruction of my property I had enough. The long term rental market has very few rewards and tons of risk and headache. I can easily see why so many landlords give up and go Airbnb.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2019, 05:55 PM

32 posts, read 32,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by je4xff View Post
You're right - and that's an important distinction. In fact, now that I read more into it - it looks like the bill specifically wouldn't affect primary residences or Ohanas:

"The bill applies to rentals of 30 days or less. It doesn’t apply to short-term rentals of a dwelling unit that is the owner’s primary residence. It also does not include “hosted rentals,” meaning transient use of a single room or sleeping area of a residential dwelling unit or guest house where the owner or operator lives on the property."
What happens if you don't list your GET/TAT ID on the airbnb and rental sites but still pay the county taxes? The last two places I rented for one week in Kona and the other in Pahoa for almost a month didn't list their ID on site. I'm pretty sure the Pahoa place pays the taxes, I paid them when I arrived for check in.

How will the county find you if Airbnb doesn't give out info?

Old 05-12-2019, 06:00 PM

5,529 posts, read 12,663,767 times
Interesting about the tax ID on the rental site. I was looking at a VRBO listing here on the Big Island recently, and the owner showed a tax ID # from Honolulu. I wrote to them and asked if they had a tax ID # from the Big Island and they said "why do you want to know?" Needless to say, I didn't rent from them.

Old 05-12-2019, 08:56 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,899,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Islandbound4 View Post

How will the county find you if Airbnb doesn't give out info?
On Airbnb. It’s not complicated if they wanted to crackdown

The renter has no responsibility to pay the taxes if not requested by the owner.

It’s all on the owner to collect and pay.

Old 05-16-2019, 02:38 PM

4,336 posts, read 1,553,579 times
Quote:
Ah - so, no state or county or city rights? Just federal government controlling everything - all 50 states follow every single rule the same? Or, just an exception for vacation rentals that only benefits tourists?
City rights, you say. I thought you were against people having the right create cities when they saw fit.

Old 05-16-2019, 04:09 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,899,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Open-D View Post
I thought you were against people having the right create cities when they saw fit.
I said that where?

I've only pointed out the State Constitution prohibits it - and it would be costly.

Old 05-16-2019, 04:27 PM

4,336 posts, read 1,553,579 times
Quote:
I said that where?

I've only pointed out the State Constitution prohibits it - and it would be costly.
Well you said this:

What do you think the "City" of Hilo be able to provide that isn't provided by the County.

And this:

There is already local representation.

Let's see - what can a City do?

Wait for it, yes - add a layer of taxes!

And this:

Like, wait for it - RAIL!

Anyway, there is nothing Honolulu gets that lets say - Kailua doesn't get, because it is the City and County of Honolulu.

Didn't appear to me at the time that you were in favor of the legal right for residents to form cities if, where and when they deemed it desirable be granted.

However, I don't want to re-argue the point. The advanced world knows and values the power of Incorporation in fostering progress.

Have a lovely day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island