Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2019, 10:49 AM

128 posts, read 144,189 times

Advertisements

Hawaii does not seem to have many native birds left... many have become extinct and surviving species appear (mostly) confined to upper elevations of rain forests. I bought a couple of bird books on Hawaii and there are a lot of introduced species... from Asia, South America, North America. However, it looks like most do well / live on the dryer side of the Big Island.

On the wet side (i.e., around Hilo and southeastward to Pahoa and then westward to Mountain View and Volcan)…

!. Are there many birds?

2. If so, what kinds/species?

3. Do they come to backyard gardens?

4. What kinds of birds come to feeders?

5. What kinds of birds nest in backyard gardens?

6. Does one commonly hear birds singing in the backyard? If so, do they sing just in the morning or throughout the day? What kinds of singing birds are there?

Thanks in advance for any information about birds on the rainy side of the Big Island.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2019, 01:42 PM

11,053 posts, read 24,060,220 times
Not sure if they were affected by the last eruption, but there used to be a whole lot of singing birds up around Volcano. Never really saw them much, they were up in the tree canopy, but they sounded nice. Palila? Some small reddish bird, although that's just one I saw, not sure if it was the one singing. I think Volcano may have more native species since it's got the Volcano National Park there to provide habitat.

There are some shauma thrushes in our back yard here in Honokaa. They sound nice. They generally sing mornings and evenings, although that doesn't keep them from singing during the day as well.

When the eruption was happening, there were loads of birds in my friend's yard since they were upwind of the lava flow and all the birds displaced by the lava had moved to their yard.

Old 02-16-2019, 03:44 PM

10,578 posts, read 7,793,544 times
Mt. View area: Yes, lots of birds and bird sounds. Cardinals, doves and mynas are the ones you will hear the most. Cardinals seem to be more vociferous in the AM. Singing? I guess Cardinals are the only ones that I consider do this.

Japanese white eyes are also abundant and nest in backyard trees. I don't know about bird feeders.

There are also hawks and owls present, but you don't see or hear them often.

And of course, a few chickens and pheasants can be seen and heard wandering about.

Old 02-16-2019, 05:32 PM

Turkeys, too. They make a lot of interesting noises, especially when someone startles them.

Old 02-16-2019, 06:30 PM

1,539 posts, read 1,562,018 times
Colorful, beautiful Saffron Finches are very bright yellow/orange yellow=green birds that were introduced from South America in the 1960s. They are now all over the "wet" side they prefer short grassy areas, gardens and in open lawns.

I like their delicate song, it's a series of single or double notes with an occasional brief trill.

Old 02-17-2019, 09:13 PM

268 posts, read 384,004 times
We see Nene on the east side when we visit, but I have yet to see an 'io (Hawaiian hawk). I don't know if those are on the north east side but I recall seeing posts about them in Puna.

Old 02-18-2019, 11:58 AM

Saffron Finches, eh? I've been wondering what those bright yellow birds are. I haven't heard them sing yet, but they are pretty to look at. I'm surprised we don't have more of the common pet birds like parakeets all over the place. Canaries might sound better than parakeets, although I've not seen either of them in the wild.

I've been seeing nene up in Waimea occasionally. Over between the new housing area across from Parker Ranch house and the new sports complex area.

I'o can be seen on the Hamakua coast. They don't make a very melodic song, though, more of a high pitched keening. Scares the bejeebs out of hens with chicks but doesn't alarm adult chickens too much.

We hear owls hooting at night occasionally, although they aren't often seen.

Old 02-18-2019, 12:57 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,932,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotzcatz View Post
I'm surprised we don't have more of the common pet birds like parakeets all over the place.
Parakeets are considered invasive to Hawaii - they will wipe out entire fields of crops.

It is a huge issue on Kauai with roughly 5,000 parakeets in the wild.

Old 02-18-2019, 06:56 PM

4,416 posts, read 4,920,198 times
In Orchidland around ~800 feet we see the occasional Io. Rarely a honeycreeper is seen and also an endemic red bird who's name escapes me now. I've seen owls but did not get a good enough look to identify them. The rest are all imported species. Avian malaria has pretty much wiped out all the native birds in the elevations where mosquitoes are common. There are GMO solutions to this problem but they will never be considered because too many people think Spider Man is real.

Old 02-18-2019, 07:13 PM

10,578 posts, read 7,793,544 times
Viper is absolutely right about those bloody parakeets on Kauai. Lets hope they never make it to other islands.

I saw a barn owl-light color- very close up recently in the Kurtistown area. It was perched on a telephone line above and only about 10-15 ft. in front of me. Couldn't believe it didn't take off immediately as I approached and stopped. Even after I moved a bit in such close proximity it stayed put, just watching me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island