Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2019, 02:08 PM

60 posts, read 63,760 times

Advertisements

Aloha Everyone, There was a VOG thread that's been going since at least 2017. But I have been hearing from people asking "How bad is the vog?" Like they had no clue that the Puna eruption had stopped. That's right, since about August 7th, 2018, the eruption has stopped, and with it, the cessation of vog anywhere on the island. I'm posting this because of the dearth of media coverage about the end of the eruption. Plenty of sensationalist coverage of the eruption, but nothing about how nice it is now that the eruption has stopped. Kilauea Crater collapsed an sank over 1,000 feet, Pu'u 'O'O crater also collapsed, and all the lava that sank came out in Kapoho. Now that it's stopped there is no more vog. The air is so clear and crisp; Hualalai Mountain literally jumps out at you. I'm seeing green flashes on the horizon at sunset two or three times a week. The island is back to the way it was before the eruptions began at Pu'u 'O'O in 1983. Prior to that there was a short lived Kapoho eruption in 1960. Hopefully we will have another 23 years without an eruption on the Big Island. Mahalo, Harry M. Pritikin
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2019, 09:16 PM

11,053 posts, read 24,051,580 times
Yeah, it's amazing to see the tops of the mountains above Kailua town when we go to Costco (the only Costco on Hawaii Island is in Kailua-Kona). I'd forgotten what they'd looked like.

Hamakua side, we can see Maui and even colors on Maui again now that the vog is gone.

There's not any live lava flowing anywhere on the island at the moment is there?

Old 02-21-2019, 09:41 PM

Location: Southernmost tip of the southernmost island in the southernmost state
982 posts, read 1,166,844 times
Great, now even more people will want to move here....

Vogs' still terrible, best to stay away.

Old 02-22-2019, 01:06 PM

353 posts, read 438,326 times
I am so jelly! would have loved to see the horizon and mt. hualalai while I lived there.

Old 02-22-2019, 06:15 PM

10,577 posts, read 7,785,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grassyknoll View Post
Great, now even more people will want to move here....

Vogs' still terrible, best to stay away.
But Ocean View actually lives up to its name once again!

But beware: Mauna Loa is overdue for an eruption and HOVE is straight in its cross hairs.

Hopefully the fear of a Kapoho repeat will keep people away...

Old 02-22-2019, 10:17 PM

1,609 posts, read 1,602,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harrypritikin View Post
Aloha Everyone, There was a VOG thread that's been going since at least 2017. But I have been hearing from people asking "How bad is the vog?" Like they had no clue that the Puna eruption had stopped. That's right, since about August 7th, 2018, the eruption has stopped, and with it, the cessation of vog anywhere on the island. I'm posting this because of the dearth of media coverage about the end of the eruption. Plenty of sensationalist coverage of the eruption, but nothing about how nice it is now that the eruption has stopped. Kilauea Crater collapsed an sank over 1,000 feet, Pu'u 'O'O crater also collapsed, and all the lava that sank came out in Kapoho. Now that it's stopped there is no more vog. The air is so clear and crisp; Hualalai Mountain literally jumps out at you. I'm seeing green flashes on the horizon at sunset two or three times a week. The island is back to the way it was before the eruptions began at Pu'u 'O'O in 1983. Prior to that there was a short lived Kapoho eruption in 1960. Hopefully we will have another 23 years without an eruption on the Big Island. Mahalo, Harry M. Pritikin
I was just about to post a new thread about this, but you answered my question.

Old 02-24-2019, 02:27 PM

1,539 posts, read 1,561,514 times
Latest update Sunday Feb. 24, 2019

https://www.hawaiitribune-herald.com...-volcanic-gas/

Old 02-25-2019, 08:18 AM

2,378 posts, read 1,318,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trinity1111 View Post

So much for the Green Deal. AOC might be right and the world will end in 12 years. Damn!!!!

Seriously, CO2 is not a pollutant and nothing for any of us to worry about. Without C02 we have no plants. Plants love C02. Maybe Hawaii will become a bit more green because of the higher C0s emissions.

Old 02-25-2019, 08:55 AM

10,577 posts, read 7,785,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyfinestbxtf View Post
So much for the Green Deal. AOC might be right and the world will end in 12 years. Damn!!!!

Seriously, CO2 is not a pollutant and nothing for any of us to worry about. Without C02 we have no plants. Plants love C02. Maybe Hawaii will become a bit more green because of the higher C0s emissions.
OMG, if you're going to quote a link please have the courtesy of reading it.

That story has nothing to do with your claptrap.

Old 02-25-2019, 01:08 PM

4,336 posts, read 1,558,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Cleric View Post
OMG, if you're going to quote a link please have the courtesy of reading it.

That story has nothing to do with your claptrap.
His "claptrap" beats your "claptrap" by a country mile.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island