Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2013, 11:43 PM

5,528 posts, read 12,674,120 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fredesch View Post
Dreaming, it would be great if folks stayed on the forum and provided more info. But the lanai, beach and uncles and aunties may take up that free time which they used to read forums with.

On the northern Virginia forum, we don't expect folks to stay around once they get here, they have no spare time, they are stuck in traffic, lol.
I suggest that you look through the " location" of the posters. That are quite a few of us who live here and are happy to help others make the move or have a great visit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2013, 12:21 PM

11,053 posts, read 24,038,603 times
Probably after they move, their schedule has entirely changed and they may have a lot less computer time. They may have changed computers and lost the link to the site. They may have moved and bombed and didn't want anyone to know. There's probably a zillion reasons why we hardly ever get follow ups from the OP, but it is really nice when we do.

Old 10-17-2013, 08:50 PM

2,054 posts, read 3,344,334 times
1- traffic during work hours can be brutal. You don't want to do this in pouring rain every day, and it rains a LOT.
2 - there is crime in Puna for sure.
3 - New Mexico is where you want to be for star gazing. It's nice in Hi, but the air is quite dense
4 - you're always going to be a (insert adjective of your choice here) haole.
5 - what full time entry level jobs at $10-$12 an hour? Most places only want to hire people PT, so they don't have to pay insurance benefits.
6 - there are ways to live in an unpermitted house and be OK. Keep in mind that if you want power, you will have to get a temporary pole. You wouldn't believe the rates for that sort of thing. And if you sell the property later, no matter how nice your unpermitted place is, it's worth zero at time of sale. Only the land will have value.

I just noticed this post is 9 years old!!! Back to bed. I wonder where they ended up moving?

Old 10-18-2013, 11:29 AM

189 posts, read 260,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smarino View Post
6 - And if you sell the property later, no matter how nice your unpermitted place is, it's worth zero at time of sale. Only the land will have value.
Of course by this you mean it is worth 0 to the bank if the buyer has to get financing. BTW that is not he way the unpermited houses sell, they are all cash sales. For some people i guess they are worth the effort.

Old 10-18-2013, 03:47 PM

1,615 posts, read 2,143,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark.ca View Post
Of course by this you mean it is worth 0 to the bank if the buyer has to get financing. BTW that is not he way the unpermited houses sell, they are all cash sales. For some people i guess they are worth the effort.
All cash sales or seller financing. If you throw in lava zone 1, there may never be another way to sell. And can you get homeowners insurance on an unpermitted house?

Old 10-19-2013, 10:23 AM

189 posts, read 260,776 times
Sure, i forgot that a few do offer seller financing especially in lava1. I'm curious about the insurance too...

Old 10-23-2013, 07:13 PM

1,615 posts, read 2,143,456 times
The October 20th edition of the (Hilo)Tribune-Herald has a bumper crop of 9 foreclosures, a mix of properties with houses and several without. It must have been a busy day at the courthouse...

Old 10-24-2013, 12:15 PM

13 posts, read 18,522 times
Default possible return

Hi all,

Saw this post was old and then updated and thought I would jump on and ask a few questions.
Currently in MI, not a fan but grew up here and family is here for both sides. Lived on Maui for 2 years wife my wife, at that time no kids, shared a car, lived in very small but nice place with two incomes (teachers). Visited Kauai, Oahu (Honolulu) and Lanai.

We left 8 years ago, haven't been back but now want to go back. Maui is too expensive for what we want as we now have a child, a dog and would like to stay single income if possible. No debt other than current mortgage but we are not underwater. We love the weather, the pace of life, friendliness of everyone etc. We are haole but never felt that was a negative there as some have noted on other forums. We enjoy rode biking, hiking, snorkel so it seems the BI offers that in abundance or at least the ability to do it once a week through out the year.

Our concerns are the vog the schools and job opportunities and safe environment for our son. Living as a young couple in 300 sq ft place is different than living with a family. It seems that this would be amazing place to grow up as a kid. Any comments are welcome.

Old 10-24-2013, 12:24 PM

5,528 posts, read 12,674,120 times
Welcome, 99burt.

If you haven't already done so, I suggest that you read through the many threads about schools and jobs on the BI. What kind of work would you be looking for?

We moved to the BI for a number of reasons, but mainly because it is the most affordable and because it is the largest of the islands. We built our house in 2005 but didn't move until 2010 when we could both retire. Also, we don't have kids. There's no way that we could have found jobs that paid what we were making in Colorado, and I'm glad that our kids were grown when we moved so I didn't have to worry about the schools here.

Old 10-25-2013, 07:34 AM

30 posts, read 53,640 times
I decided to retire to the Big Island and initially looked on the Kona side. Only affordable place there is Ocean View, maybe Pahala and Naalehu. Problem is isolation, no jobs, crime, people mostly uneducated. Forty+ miles to nearest real city. If you move to Kona, buying a house will set you back almost $500K. Weather in Kona is stuffy warm and dry unless you get some altitude. Ocean View is a desert, much of it a moonscape. Away from Kona you are looking at a small village lifestyle. Problem is, the locals take a long time to warm up to newcomers. No hostility, they just take their time about getting to know you. They figure you will be gone in a while, so why bother.

It rains a lot in Hilo, but Hilo is a real city. But it is also expensive though not as bad as Kona. It has the university which is a world center for astronomy research. Hilo is a really nice place, a true melting pot of humanity, just bring an umbrella.

I finally settled in Puna near Pahoa and I love it here. They have a real ocean hugging rainforest jungle around there, the people are laid back, a lot of counter-culture hippie types. Property can still be bought cheap, especially land. Main crime here is petty theft although the locals occasionally kill one another over drugs or women. The people here are friendly but reserved towards newcomers. There are some youth gangs; not sure where that is going. I've never been ripped off or bothered, but I'm pretty laid back, street smart and don't argue with people or get in a local's face if they are rude, etc. There are some *******s who live around here, but they live everywhere. Main thing is do not make enemies. This is an island... Most of the people here will react predictably to a genuinely friendly attitude; i.e. you have to respect Hawaiians. Even if they do not like you, if you treat them with respect they will not hassle you. This is an island culture and their priorities are different than the mainland. You have to respect the local culture.

Moving here with kids is not a good idea. The local kids are tough on newcomers, especially haoles (whites). I almost moved here with my kids 10 years ago (I was a single dad) but decided against it. It was the right decision. I talked to a guy who did bring his kids here long ago. He said they are both back on the mainland and not doing very well due to poor education. Also drug use is rampant and embedded in the youth culture here. They do have private schools here and that is an option if you can afford it. Also, there are some truely brilliant individuals scattered about in Puna who came here to focus on their own interests. We are talking scientists, computer experts, etc. 'Mad Scientist in the jungle types. I'm one of them. Problem is there really is not much opportunity for kids after they graduate on the Big Island. Most of the smart ones leave to Oahu or the mainland.

Come here after you've given up on everything else, but do not show up empty-handed. It will either grow on you or it will not. If it does, you're home. If not, it is an experience you will be glad you had.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island