Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2019, 12:43 PM

11,049 posts, read 24,014,485 times

Advertisements

Hmm, a friend mentioned to me the other day that he thought the volcano's new dormancy may affect the weather in Kailua-Kona. Which, one would assume, also include the areas between Volcano and Kailua-Kona which would include Ka'u, Pahala, HOVE, etc. He was thinking there would be more rain than usual since the heat of the volcano wouldn't be drying things out anymore. Not sure if it is a valid line of thought, but maybe?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2019, 02:57 PM

181 posts, read 175,618 times
Well I don’t know what the future holds, but we have not been here that long to make any determination however in my conversations with longtime residents the Oceanview area has had a fairly cold winter and a significant amount of rain over previous years

Old 04-12-2019, 03:22 PM

5,529 posts, read 12,660,633 times
If you want real data, go to a website called CoCoRahs. It's a organization of people all over the country who collect rainfall and report it on a daily basis. There are several of us in the Na'alehu/Waiohinu area. Not sure about Ocean View. You can go back and look at records on any day in the past.

Obviously, the higher up you go in Ocean View, the colder it is. We are at 1200', and we've been pretty chilly a couple of times this winter.

Old 04-12-2019, 03:26 PM

181 posts, read 175,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreaming of Hawaii View Post

Obviously, the higher up you go in Ocean View, the colder it is. We are at 1200', and we've been pretty chilly a couple of times this winter.
We are at 3300’. Had lots of cold mornings

Old 04-12-2019, 04:27 PM

Location: Southernmost tip of the southernmost island in the southernmost state
982 posts, read 1,161,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreaming of Hawaii View Post
Where are your statistics to back up this claim?
I've heard the number is about 70%.

Old 04-12-2019, 06:24 PM

10,545 posts, read 7,735,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotzcatz View Post
.. He was thinking there would be more rain than usual since the heat of the volcano wouldn't be drying things out anymore. Not sure if it is a valid line of thought, but maybe?
Heat? No, I think that's invalid. More likely that the lack of aerosols (vog) could change precipitation patterns back to what they once were. I recall that someone had theorized that the dwindling rain over the Kona slopes in the past couple decades was a result of this phenomenon.

However, the documented drop in strength of trade winds over the same time period may be solely responsible for less rain. Not sure anyone really has a handle on it at this time.

Edit: Here's an article discussing the vog issue: https://www.westhawaiitoday.com/2018...offee-farmers/

Old 04-12-2019, 06:35 PM

One more point: Of all Hawaii locations, Hilo has seen the greatest percentage drop in precipitation over the past few decades. However, it still rains a lot there! Last year was a good case in point. With projected effects of climate change, I've seen both an increase and a decrease in rainfall possible for the Hawaiian islands. If trade winds become less prevalent, and they seem to be headed in that direction, it would suggest less rain for windward areas of all islands.

Old 04-12-2019, 08:53 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,894,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arktikos View Post
One more point: Of all Hawaii locations, Hilo has seen the greatest percentage drop in precipitation over the past few decades.
In the period 1920-2012 average annual precipitation has not changed very much in Hilo. Most of the State has had a slow decline in that timeframe except Molokai - however, the most dramatic decline in the entire State is the Kona area. Nothing else is close.

Rainfall Atlas of Hawaii | Rainfall

Old 04-13-2019, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
In the period 1920-2012 average annual precipitation has not changed very much in Hilo. Most of the State has had a slow decline in that timeframe except Molokai - however, the most dramatic decline in the entire State is the Kona area. Nothing else is close.

Rainfall Atlas of Hawaii | Rainfall
Interesting. Rather than percentage drop maybe it's just number of inches drop. Or maybe one of the sources is wrong.

However, https://statesummaries.ncics.org/chapter/hi/

"The island of Hawaii has experienced the largest significant long term declines....with annual total precipitation in Hilo decreasing the most at the 4 airports (4?)...a decrease of almost 20 inches since 1950.."

Last edited by Arktikos; 04-13-2019 at 09:06 AM..

Old 04-23-2019, 09:53 AM

84 posts, read 152,268 times
In reply to DavePhan, I've been to Hawai'i almost every year since 2006. And I hear you about the cost of living. That's why I was asking about some lower cost areas. I love every part of the Big Island to visit, but would only want to live in the dry, sunny part. So if we can work it financially, there is nowhere else on earth I'd rather live.

That said, the discussion about rain change and the effect of the volcano is very interesting. I guess I'll just keep watching, and maybe things will be more clear for what the future holds. I appreciate the websites and will check them out. I have been hearing similar reports that Amadrid has been hearing. And that's what started this whole line of thought for me. Maybe it's just that one part of the Island that has experienced the unusual weather. Anyways, thanks everyone for your input!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island