Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2019, 09:00 AM

84 posts, read 152,293 times

Advertisements

Over the past 15 years I've watched the weather patterns become erratic in most places. The last three times I've been in Hawai'i it was cloudy, windy and had quite a bit of rain. They were three different times of year, and I'm wondering if you all have noticed that there have been less sunny days in general. I'm mostly speaking of Keauhou, Kona & Kohala areas. But usually when it's like that, it affects the whole island.

The reason I ask is because I am really hoping to get to move to Hawai'i sometime in the next ten years. Hawai'i has the culture and the people and the beauty I want to be with. I'm just concerned that the weather is changing to be a rainier place. Obviously some rain, as there always was, is totally fine and necessary. But if there is a place that you all think is still mostly sunny most of the time, I would really appreciate knowing. I guess it's possible we just had bad luck since 2016. But I do keep an eye on Big Island Video news and see colder, wetter conditions than I used to. Also, the lesser expensive part of the question is because I don't believe we could live in expensive developments like Waikaloa and such. So mahalo for sharing any of your observations and opinions!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2019, 10:35 AM

5,529 posts, read 12,662,406 times
Since you acknowledge that you’ve seen weather patterns changing over the last 15 years and you don’t plan to move for another ten, how does the weather today matter?

I’ve never seen quite a bit of rain in Kona. I live near South Point so am not in Kona everyday, but I can’t remember the last time I saw rain there. However, you asked for the sunniest least expensive area, so I’d have to say Ocean View.

Old 03-31-2019, 04:07 PM

11,050 posts, read 24,017,648 times
Yup, what Dreaming said! Oceanview is probably the least expensive and least rainy.

Be careful what you wish for, you may end up doing a rain dance if you're not careful.

Old 04-01-2019, 01:11 AM

Location: Southernmost tip of the southernmost island in the southernmost state
982 posts, read 1,162,380 times
After living here for 5 years, I am at the point where I appreciate rainy days as a respite from the sun.
This winter has been a bit abnormally wet, but I don't mind, there's still plenty of sunny beach-days.

Old 04-03-2019, 02:53 PM

84 posts, read 152,293 times
Thanks guys! True about what the weather will be like in 10 years. But I appreciate the answers!

Old 04-05-2019, 02:18 PM

353 posts, read 437,186 times
I lived in Kona for two years (2015-2017) and it rained like twice. It's not the cheapest place to live, however.

Old 04-05-2019, 10:35 PM

10,546 posts, read 7,739,679 times
Hilo and Puna were drier than usual this winter. I don't believe it's been rainy, as in many hours of rain in a week, on Kona side for several years.
Ocean View to Pahala area would clearly be your best bet.

Old 04-12-2019, 07:17 AM

1,823 posts, read 2,275,456 times
Ten years is a long time in the future! There’s good and bad things about Hawaii, or anywhere else you are considering living or moving. If you check the climate sites, you can quickly learn which places have gloomy skies or sunny skies most of the time. File example, the Pacific Northwest is overcast most of the time. Florida is sunny most of the time. But on the Big Island, there are many microclimates, so it depends on where you live on the island. But you were asking for where the cheapest place was on the Big Island. Which means you don’t want to spend a lot of money or don’t have a lot of money to spend. High cost of living is simply a fact in Hawaii, which means that you’ll have to drastically lower your standard of living if you don’t have a lot of money.

Ten years is a long time. If you develop chronic health problems in the future, Hawaii is not the place you’d be able to live, especially in the outer islands. How many times have you visited Hawaii? Or, have you only been dreaming about moving to Hawaii based on your perspective from things on the Internet or TV? If you can’t afford to visit Hawaii several times, it’s very unlikely that you could ever afford to live there. The first step is to start visiting Hawaii, and don’t stay in hotels or resorts.

The drier areas on the Big Island can be nicer because they are not gloomy all the time and you don’t have to put up with a huge amount of rain. Far less bugs in the dry areas, like mosquitoes. But you have to pay for water to keep everything green, and you’d want everyone else around you to be required to keep everything green around you, so you’re not living next door to an eye sore properly.

It’s hard to beat the climate in Hawaii. Some people say Southern California is a close second. But there are horrendous problems with California, which is why a mass exodus is occurring from California now. From your post, it seems like you haven’t visited Hawaii, since you didn’t mention any visits to Hawaii. If you haven’t visited Hawaii, that should be you first step. If there’s no way you can afford the visit to Hawaii, then you already have your answer that you won’t be able to afford it, and Hawaii isn’t for you. About 95% of the people who try moving to Hawaii, end up moving back to the mainland within one to two years. That’s largely saying that the reality of living in Hawaii didn’t match the expectations of living in Hawaii. I haven’t heard that dramatic statistic ever mentioned for any other place.

Still, it’s possible to live in Hawaii if you don’t have a lot of money. But you have to be willing to lower your standard of living. For some people, that trade off is worth it. Isolation is a fact of life in Hawaii. Your friends and family will most likely never visit you, or maybe visit you one time only. You will have to fly to their locations for visits. Airline tickets aren’t cheap if your flying to or from Hawaii, so if you don’t have a lot of money, you won’t be leaving Hawaii for years, because of the cost.

There’s a lot of thing to think about. But you have a lot of time to think about those things before you’re ready to move. Compare living in Hawaii to other places. There’s no perfect place to live. It’s a compromise what’s best for you, and your budget.

Old 04-12-2019, 09:04 AM

12,120 posts, read 17,897,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davephan View Post
But there are horrendous problems with California, which is why a mass exodus is occurring from California now.
How do you have a mass exodus in California when the population continues to grow?

Old 04-12-2019, 12:27 PM

5,529 posts, read 12,662,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davephan View Post
About 95% of the people who try moving to Hawaii, end up moving back to the mainland within one to two years.
Where are your statistics to back up this claim?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island