Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2019, 09:50 AM

4,336 posts, read 1,555,637 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grassyknoll View Post
After living 40+ years in California, I am pretty happy being a "fool" among "fools" here in Hawai'i.
Anyone thin-skinned enough to get this bent simply because others didn't agree with their post, well, I'd say California's definitely more their speed.
It wasn't that they simply disagreed, it is the manner they did, as if it was some off-the-wall crazy idea, instead ?of a rational, badly-needed modification to governance in Hawaii. One guy said something about "what I read", describing the benefits of cities, and what I "saw on the map", regarding a few locales I suggested as places than might benefit. Insults from a fool's fool trying to pretend his is being brilliant. Then he went off into the weeds describing some backwater of a place and how it wouldn't work there as evidence that it was a stupid proposal, and demanded that I spoon-feed him on what role cities play.

You guys really don't get it, do you? Cities are an essential building block of society, and you are utterly deprived of the ability to create them, gain by their implementation, and start moving forward. It is so obvious, such a given, but somehow, the rocket scientists over there can't even see it, and fight vehemently when it is pointed out, at least on this forum. I am not trying to deprive you of anything, but advocate you have rights, that everyone else has and benefits from, given to you for your own benefit.

But hey, if you guys still want to be powerless against the county and state, deprived of the many and well-known benefits of a city, no problem. IF you want the county to continue to ride roughshod upon your backs, who am I to complain. You have bamboozled by the centralized power of the state and county, and you seem not to care at all, not even as an intellectual discussion.

I don't really care, on a personal basis, if you guys have your rights given to you or not, but make no mistake, substantive progress will never be made as a mere flock of individual citizens try to get their due, each by themselves, against the powers-that-be in the county/state. You are emasculated and apparently will remain so. Cities, with their collective horsepower, can and do make things happen that will never in their absence.

Didn't it ever occur to you that this glaring "oversight" exists, that YOU have been deprived of this critical building block with which to build a future?

Anyway, I have wasted enough emotional capitol on a losing proposition.

Have a laid-back life!!! I have a voyage to prepare for!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2019, 11:12 AM

108 posts, read 81,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreaming of Hawaii View Post
Notice that his tagline is “gang banging Americe”. Maybe he could explain what “Americe” is.
hahah, oh man, didn't even notice that. Not surprising coming from someone who has to resort to that level of morbidness when they disagree with something politically. I disagree with most republicans AND democrats.... but I'd never be that vulgar about it.

Old 05-14-2019, 11:19 AM

Location: Southernmost tip of the southernmost island in the southernmost state
982 posts, read 1,164,671 times
Hawai'i is what Hawai'i is.
You can either accept it and try to work within its limitations to make a peaceful life or you can get worked up about "how it should be" and let it eat you alive.
In the end, the island wins.

Old 05-14-2019, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grassyknoll View Post
Hawai'i is what Hawai'i is.
You can either accept it and try to work within its limitations to make a peaceful life or you can get worked up about "how it should be" and let it eat you alive.
In the end, the island wins.

Old 05-14-2019, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Notice that his tagline is “gang banging Americe”. Maybe he could explain what “Americe” is.
Mostly, it is an idea, "freedom", embodied in action, "progress".

Last edited by Open-D; 05-14-2019 at 12:11 PM..

Old 05-14-2019, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HankTellYouWhat View Post
hahah, oh man, didn't even notice that. Not surprising coming from someone who has to resort to that level of morbidness when they disagree with something politically. I disagree with most republicans AND democrats.... but I'd never be that vulgar about it.
Vulgar is calling "infanticide", "choice"!

Last edited by Open-D; 05-14-2019 at 11:56 AM..

Old 05-14-2019, 11:57 AM

108 posts, read 81,292 times
Everything is a choice, now take your politics elsewhere. Funny, you've posted pages of vague nothings about how an incorporating other cities would benefit the people of Hawaii, yet you never gave concrete reasons as to why. I did a bit of research on my own, and I'm seeing little to no benefit of incorporating other Hawaiian towns in to cities. All I know is Honolulu is filthy and the Big Island is clean.

Old 05-14-2019, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HankTellYouWhat View Post
Everything is a choice, now take your politics elsewhere. Funny, you've posted pages of vague nothings about how an incorporating other cities would benefit the people of Hawaii, yet you never gave concrete reasons as to why. I did a bit of research on my own, and I'm seeing little to no benefit of incorporating other Hawaiian towns in to cities. All I know is Honolulu is filthy and the Big Island is clean.
I'll not be bullied.

Cities embrace and enable growth, and distribute governance downward de-centralizing it, providing and managing services etc. Much like a farmer's coop.

For another, providing a unified voice on behalf of the residents against the county and state to insure they get their just due from those levels. A collective voice.

Also, it is obvious that you haven't been paying any real attention. I never said anyone should incorporate. Rather, I asserted that the people of Hawaii should no longer be denied that right so that if and when they chose to exercise it for all the universally-known reasons, they can.

Old 05-14-2019, 12:25 PM

11,053 posts, read 24,038,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mthom112 View Post
Aloha,

I was recently offered a position (through AmeriCorps) in the Kapaau/Hawi area and was wondering if you all could inform me on the area a bit (things to do, places to look for housing, do's & don'ts, advice. Etc.) If I accept I will be relocating from Virginia Beach Virginia and plan to stay longer after my stent with AmeriCorps so some good tips would be helpful

Thank you all for your time
Aloha Again mthom112!

Remember this is your post and it's about relocating to Kapa'au & Hawi?

This is an example of something that frequently happens with Hawaii, folks try and 'improve' it without chatting about it with folks that are already here to find out if it would be a good thing or not. Usually, though, it's that they want some sort of fast food chain or discount store. As my mechanic tells me "if it ain't broke, don't fix it". Hmm, that mechanic also tells me "get what you like, you can fix everything else". Not sure if that applies, he was talking about a British sportscar.

In any case, it's not about moving to Hawi or Kapa'au.

The underlying reason most of the improvements aren't going to happen, especially on the Island of Hawaii, is the lack of population to support it. Which is something that would impact your move to Hawi or Kapaau.

Kohala is a lovely part of the island, we will go up there just for the scenery. It has some tourists wandering through there, although no major hotels or resorts, those are further down the coast towards Kailua-Kona. There's a scenic overlook and hike down into Pololu valley.

Generally, the tourists go home at night and Hawi and Kapaau are pretty quiet places. As with many rural places, most of your entertainment is self made or with a group of friends. If you require commercially made entertainment - museums, bars, IMAX theaters, amusement parks, etc., well, those aren't going to be there. Kapaau does have a nice park and a municipal swimming pool. Lots of friendly people, although they are going to be a bit standoffish if you tell them you're only going to be there for six months to a year. Not that they will be rude, but you may not be invited to their baby's first year luau.

As a lifestyle, slow is good. If slow drives you nuts, then it could be a problem.

Old 05-15-2019, 03:36 PM

74 posts, read 74,211 times
Quote:
Based on what I've read here, I think it's white rice, and ONLY white rice, with no foreign ingredients, cooked using fossil fuels exclusively, and is very, very bitter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island