Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2019, 03:24 PM

Location: Southernmost tip of the southernmost island in the southernmost state
982 posts, read 1,165,076 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
Exactly the reason the laws should be changed - the misfits need to get a job and one needs to personally evaluate if one wants to live in a community where public assistance is a way of life.

With unemployment at 3.8% on the BI (considered full employment) it is, in my opinion, very shameful the current public assistance rates
One of the rare occurrences where I agree with you (regarding the shameful number of folks on assistance).

What's equally as bad is the monumental increase over the last 10 years or so, of the percentage of the population drawing SS disability. I personally know folks that were young, completely able-bodied and still able to game the system to get a physician to help them get on SS disability. All because they didn't want to work and the system made it easy enough to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2019, 04:20 PM

4,416 posts, read 4,908,923 times
I think under the current system food stamps are already pretty hard to qualify for. My objection to the program is not that I'm paying for it, my objection is that the program pays for people to consume garbage that has negative nutrition. There is no reason why my taxes should be used to subsidize the purchase of Red Bull and soda pop. I think food stamps should actually be easier to qualify for, and with a higher payout, however people should only be allowed to purchase healthy staples (flour, sugar, bread, peanut butter, fruits, vegetables, unprocessed meat, etc) and only in brands that offer the best value. Unfortunately the processed food lobby has the politicians in their pockets. The USA is probably the only country in the world where more people die of obesity than hunger. The fact that our taxes subsidize the poor to purchase cart loads of diabetes-causing Mountain Dew is one of the reasons.

Old 05-19-2019, 05:56 AM

32 posts, read 50,384 times
Even when I was 12 and went to Pathmark only on Friday nights to buy Doritos, Mountain Dew and Reeses, I knew it was bad for you. If I was on Food Stamps now, I'd buy all the good staples and look exactly the same. A lot of these folks will trade them for other things, if there's mandates, to get what they really want.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island