Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2021, 09:59 AM

2,400 posts, read 782,300 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
Nothing about what you detail here, or about violent crime in Hawaii (lack of it is notable) supports you having a firearm in Hawaii.

No need for personal protection. Not agriculturally involved. No sporting interests.

Why even consider it?
It's called Freedom. Try it someday.

Old 09-02-2021, 10:03 AM

129 posts, read 118,886 times
[quote=Rain Monkey;61822682]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lapaki View Post
I think you and your wife have a lot to learn if you expect to make a successful, fulfilling life here.
Given that my wife spent the first 50 years of her life in Hawaii and considers herself more culturally Hawaiian than her immediate family, for whom Hawaii just happens to be the place they were born, she would strongly disagree with that statement. You've made a lot of assumptions about us. I don't know you, so I'm not going to make any assumptions about you, but your responses to me have been arrogant, condescending, and more than a little hostile. I see no point in engaging further with you.

Old 09-02-2021, 10:56 AM

2,400 posts, read 782,300 times
[quote=Lapaki;61825068]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rain Monkey View Post

Given that my wife spent the first 50 years of her life in Hawaii and considers herself more culturally Hawaiian than her immediate family, for whom Hawaii just happens to be the place they were born, she would strongly disagree with that statement. You've made a lot of assumptions about us. I don't know you, so I'm not going to make any assumptions about you, but your responses to me have been arrogant, condescending, and more than a little hostile. I see no point in engaging further with you.

Old 09-02-2021, 12:01 PM

2,378 posts, read 1,313,222 times
Quote:
Thanks for the info. We probably need them here in Oregon less than we think we do, but my wife's years with the Portland Police Bureau convinced us that they're a good thing to have. It sounds like there's really no need to have them in Hawaii, though.
If you’re more comfortable selling them, go for it. My service weapon never left my house and I never felt unsafe at my home. Even living back on the mainland my service weapon stays home. Unless I’m walking on a Bronx street at night, then I will be armed. I have no intention of ever going back to the Bronx. I brought my service weapon to Hawaii because 1. I would never sell my service weapon, and 2. I wasn’t going to leave it in storage. With that said, I was worried I would of had to provide paperwork for my service weapon which I do not have any to Hawaiian Airlines when leaving. All I have is my retired police ID and HR-218 card.

Old 09-02-2021, 12:30 PM

2,378 posts, read 1,313,222 times
[quote=Lapaki;61825068]
Quote:

Don’t mind Rain Monkey. That poster is a malcontent.

Old 09-02-2021, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyfinestbxtf View Post
If you’re more comfortable selling them, go for it. My service weapon never left my house and I never felt unsafe at my home. Even living back on the mainland my service weapon stays home. Unless I’m walking on a Bronx street at night, then I will be armed. I have no intention of ever going back to the Bronx. I brought my service weapon to Hawaii because 1. I would never sell my service weapon, and 2. I wasn’t going to leave it in storage. With that said, I was worried I would of had to provide paperwork for my service weapon which I do not have any to Hawaiian Airlines when leaving. All I have is my retired police ID and HR-218 card.
Thanks. Nobody has urged me to keep our guns for practical reasons, so I have no real incentive to keep them. As an aside, I have the utmost respect for law enforcement officers. At least in Portland, it's a thankless job. The few bad apples get all the press, but most of the officers we know are dedicated to protecting and serving the community, despite the bureaucracy's best efforts to thwart them. Interestingly, a couple decades ago, the Portland Police Bureau did a major recruiting effort from the Honolulu Police Department, offering better pay and benefits. Back then, Portland was an undiscovered gem, its people happy to be in the shadow of Seattle.

Old 09-02-2021, 12:48 PM

[quote=Nyfinestbxtf;61826159]
Quote:

Don’t mind Rain Monkey. That poster is a malcontent.
He or she is definitely unhappy about something. I don't take it personally, but neither do I have to put up with it.

Old 09-02-2021, 01:18 PM

451 posts, read 411,511 times
[quote=Lapaki;61825068]
Quote:

I am sorry. I wish you and your wife the best of luck going forward.

I've been here for decades, and of all the people and families I have seen move to Hawai'i, I have watched far more leave than remain. Please don't take this as an assumption on my part on how you will do. As you pointed out, I do not know you. Perhaps those of us that spent most of our lifetimes here tend to erect defensive barriers of sorts. You don't want to get to close to newcomers, because the majority end up leaving in a year or two, and maybe that is why my posts have turned rather caustic. Regardless, I now see it's time I stop posting altogether, and this will be my last post on this forum.

For what it's worth, my neighbor, a now elderly gentleman came here as a young man in the early-1960's.He made is home here. Married. Children and now many grand as well as great-grandkids. We were having coffee the other morning, and he told me that when he wakes up, he occasionally ponders on the notion that there is still some malihini in him. That is humility that can only be understood here in Hawai'i.

Again, Good Luck on your move.

Old 09-02-2021, 02:29 PM

21,725 posts, read 16,327,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salty Water View Post
It's called Freedom. Try it someday.
How does “freedom” require gun ownership?

The OP asked a reasonable question. I gave a relevant answer. You pipe up with an off-the-wall irrelevant comment.

For what it’s worth, I spent 22 years in military ordnance. And I still own guns. But I’d be just as free without them.

Old 09-02-2021, 03:44 PM

[quote=Rain Monkey;61826559]
Quote:

I am sorry. I wish you and your wife the best of luck going forward.

I've been here for decades, and of all the people and families I have seen move to Hawai'i, I have watched far more leave than remain. Please don't take this as an assumption on my part on how you will do. As you pointed out, I do not know you. Perhaps those of us that spent most of our lifetimes here tend to erect defensive barriers of sorts. You don't want to get to close to newcomers, because the majority end up leaving in a year or two, and maybe that is why my posts have turned rather caustic. Regardless, I now see it's time I stop posting altogether, and this will be my last post on this forum.

For what it's worth, my neighbor, a now elderly gentleman came here as a young man in the early-1960's.He made is home here. Married. Children and now many grand as well as great-grandkids. We were having coffee the other morning, and he told me that when he wakes up, he occasionally ponders on the notion that there is still some malihini in him. That is humility that can only be understood here in Hawai'i.

Again, Good Luck on your move.
Thank you for this. I understand where you're coming from regarding people who move to Hawaii and then leave after a couple years, making long-time residents wary of forming attachments to newcomers. So you might know something about me, when I was 11, I developed a fascination with Hawaii and started reading books on the subject. In 10th grade, I wrote a book report on King Kamehameha I for a history class. I have no idea where this came from, as I lived on the East Coast, my parents are from New York, I didn't know anyone from Hawaii, and I read nothing else besides science fiction. I hoped to move to Hawaii after college, but my life took different turns, and I didn't visit until I got an extremely cheap airline ticket to Kaua'i when I was 36. It was as wonderful as I'd imagined it to be, but of course I only saw it through the eyes of a tourist.

I ended up moving to Portland, which was equally wonderful and had jobs in my field. I met my wife-to-be, who had just moved to Portland from Hilo, on an online dating forum. We hit it off immediately, and, once we became engaged, she took me home to meet her family and friends. They of course checked me out, but I passed all their tests. Her mom told me, "You're from the Mainland, but your soul must have been born in Hawaii." I say this not to pat myself on the back, but to show that I have (and had) a temperament and worldview compatible with Hawaiian culture. There were many cultural adjustments my wife and I had to make with each other. I learned to become more other-oriented, tone down my Mainland style of sarcastic wit, and learn the nuances of Asian-style implicit communication. She learned that my Mainland-style explicit communication wasn't meant to be rude or disrespectful, and also how to stand up for herself in the often-cutthroat Mainland business culture.

Although visiting Hawaii multiple times over the years isn't the same as living there, I'm married to a local gal who loves Hawaii and its culture with all her heart, we participate in Portland-area events with the Hawaiian-transplant community, and I've been immersed from the beginning in Hawaiian music, food, history, dance, and so on. I've grown to love the culture, too. That's very different from being a Mainland couple who vacations in Maui once a year and thinks that Hawaii is only about sun, sand, tropical scenery, fake luaus, and being served food and drinks by dark-skinned locals with funny accents. When one of my coworkers announces that they're visiting Hawaii for the first time, I can accurately predict who will come back saying that Hawaiians are the kindest, warmest, most generous people they've ever met, and who will say that Hawaiians are cold, rude, and hate haoles. If I had any doubts that I can fit into Hawaiian culture and love living there, accepting the bad with the good, and not expecting the locals to cater to "the way we do things back on the Mainland," then I wouldn't consider moving there.

If, after reading this, you believe I'm sincere, then I welcome more posts from you, if you choose to post.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island