Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2021, 01:43 PM

2,378 posts, read 1,315,279 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
True.

That said, an airman’s philosophy under fire is: loose as many rounds of the largest caliber possible in the general direction of threat and let large scale obliteration write the obit.

Dark humor aside, the essence of this OP’s conundrum lies in the likelihood of your last two words: “need one.”

And your previous sentence - “but they are more than not likely to happen” - well sums up life in most places in America … and very especially so in Hawaii.

I assume you meant, by the way, that situations calling for firearm protection are “not likely to happen.” The wording as you wrote it is vague.
Whoops. Yeah, flip the words around. That’s what I meant. “Not likely to happen.” Even as a lawman for 20 years in the Bronx, I only had to pull my service weapon out maybe 10 times and never had to fire a shot. There was but a few split seconds of time that saved a perp from being ventilated on a couple of occasions in my encounters. So yeah, in the real world, the chances of ever needing to carry a firearm are highly unlikely, especially in Hawaii.

Old 09-03-2021, 02:31 PM

2,400 posts, read 783,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk J View Post
@ Lapaki,
Perhaps, put a few bales of hay outside, with targets on them. Take up the hobby of Rifle Crossbow. It's silent...

Best of Luck & happiness to your Lady & you.
I know what a rifle is and I know what a crossbow is but what is a "Rifle Crossbow"?

Old 09-03-2021, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lapaki View Post
Yes, those are my questions. I’ve tried to envision likely situations in which my having a gun would create a better outcome than my not having a gun, and I can’t think of any. Again, I’m not proficient with guns. I’ve often worried about a situation in which I had to make a split-second decision on whether to shoot someone or not shoot — and whether to shoot to wound or shoot to kill. That’s why I wave such empathy for trained police officers who have to make that decision, and who have to deal with Monday-morning quarterbacks who pore over all the details afterward and judge what they SHOULD have done. Read Malcolm Gladwell’s book “Blink” if you’re interested in how our brains make such split-second decisions.
The answer to a lack of firearm proficiency is not to abandon that which the FBI and criminologists agree is just about the only thing that will help you survive an assault.

Rather, the answer is to BECOME proficient with firearms. It is not a difficult hurdle. You don't need to become a sharpshooter or other form of "shootist", you merely need to know how to handle it safely, load, unload, set and release the safety/slide lock, eject and insert the clip or load/unload the cylinder, field-strip, clean and reassemble, and be able to shoot with a reasonable degree of accuracy.

Also, be aware that in the majority of cases a mere showing of the firearm is sufficient to deter the assault. Only rarely is shooting required or advised. However, being ready and capable of shooting IS.

Old 09-03-2021, 04:01 PM

21,736 posts, read 16,350,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salty Water View Post
The answer to a lack of firearm proficiency is not to abandon that which the FBI and criminologists agree is just about the only thing that will help you survive an assault.

Rather, the answer is to BECOME proficient with firearms. It is not a difficult hurdle. You don't need to become a sharpshooter or other form of "shootist", you merely need to know how to handle it safely, load, unload, set and release the safety/slide lock, eject and insert the clip or load/unload the cylinder, field-strip, clean and reassemble, and be able to shoot with a reasonable degree of accuracy.

Also, be aware that in the majority of cases a mere showing of the firearm is sufficient to deter the assault. Only rarely is shooting required or advised. However, being ready and capable of shooting IS.
Hey. You wished the OP well with his decision. Give it a rest and let him be, eh? He and wife are not comfortable with firearms and they don’t see reasons to fear life without them on the BI.

Old 09-03-2021, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Hey. You wished the OP well with his decision. Give it a rest and let him be, eh? He and wife are not comfortable with firearms and they don’t see reasons to fear life without them on the BI.
That's none of your concern, so, as they say, butt out (and I am not talking about smoking materials).

Old 09-03-2021, 04:54 PM

21,736 posts, read 16,350,818 times
Quote:
That's none of your concern, so, as they say, butt out (and I am not talking about smoking materials).
Actually, open forums are … well … open. And I am expressing my opinion that you are badgering the OP by promoting your personal passion which, in this case, is literally dangerous to the OP’s (as well as to others around the OP’s future community) well being given his own description.

I don’t give a rat’s butt if you love guns and live in fear of assault. But I am of the very experienced opinion that people who are not comfortable with firearms are understandably less safe possessing them.

Old 09-03-2021, 05:06 PM

Quote:

That said, an airman’s philosophy under fire is: loose as many rounds of the largest caliber possible in the general direction of threat and let large scale obliteration write the obit.
Yup, you’re just doing what you can to stop the threat. Exactly.

Old 09-03-2021, 05:21 PM

Quote:

Operating a firearm is pretty simple. Treat all firearms as if they are loaded. That’s the gist. Outside of that, it’s not rocket science. The four pillars of accuracy is grip, sight alignment, breathing, and trigger pull. Most gunfights don’t happen outside of 7 yards. Aim and fire should hit the target 9 out of 10 times within that distance. When you start to get outside that realm, then that’s where breathing, sight alignment, grip, trigger pull begin having an affect. For home defense, I would recommend a 4 shot to a slug shotgun shell. I would prefer a 4 or 6 shot to a slug because you don’t want your rounds going through walls potentially harming your family. A bird shot will get the job done for home defense.

With that said, I’m all for people who want to carry conceal or open carry.

Last edited by Nyfinestbxtf; 09-03-2021 at 05:31 PM..

Old 09-03-2021, 06:51 PM

Location: Southernmost tip of the southernmost island in the southernmost state
982 posts, read 1,164,105 times
Quote:
I know what a rifle is and I know what a crossbow is but what is a "Rifle Crossbow"?
New type of Crossbow where the bolts have rifling for improved accuracy.

Jk, no idea....

Old 09-03-2021, 07:37 PM

Tulemutte, Now, with all that said, I pretty much disagree with you on everything else. Just saying. The adults are back in the room and everything is going swimmingly.

Last edited by Nyfinestbxtf; 09-03-2021 at 07:53 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island