Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2021, 09:00 PM

4,412 posts, read 4,895,355 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lapaki View Post
Thanks again for all the arguments pro and con. I realize that this is an emotionally charged topic. Ultimately, my wife and I came to a split decision. She is somewhat afraid of guns and certainly not comfortable with them. We each got a gun for home defense and concealed carry here in Oregon but never ended up using them for the latter, since we haven’t gone out much during the pandemic. She feels no need for one in Hawaii, and we don’t need two in the house, so she’s going to sell hers. I’m not afraid of guns but just felt that I haven’t had enough practice to become proficient. However, I finally came down on the “It’s better to have it and not need it” side of the argument. If somebody does break in while we’re home, it will give us a fighting chance that we otherwise might not have had.
I have never acquired a gun for defense. I did it to humanely dispatch the food we eat. You said you were considering AG land, later you may consider actually AG, you may even want to raise animals for food one day. Just remember it's a lot harder to obtain a weapon here than it is to import one. And it could be that whatever you have now is insufficient for humane dispatch anyway, in that case if there is no self-defense reason, it may be better to get rid of it. I've always been an advocate for animal welfare, I used to volunteer at a humane society, later worked at one, quit, volunteered again, etc. Since I'm against eating factory raised meat, now I need a weapon to humane euthanize our food, now I'm labeled a "gun nut".

Old 09-06-2021, 09:08 AM

129 posts, read 118,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by terracore View Post
I have never acquired a gun for defense. I did it to humanely dispatch the food we eat. You said you were considering AG land, later you may consider actually AG, you may even want to raise animals for food one day. Just remember it's a lot harder to obtain a weapon here than it is to import one. And it could be that whatever you have now is insufficient for humane dispatch anyway, in that case if there is no self-defense reason, it may be better to get rid of it. I've always been an advocate for animal welfare, I used to volunteer at a humane society, later worked at one, quit, volunteered again, etc. Since I'm against eating factory raised meat, now I need a weapon to humane euthanize our food, now I'm labeled a "gun nut".
When I mentioned AG land, I thought HPP was zoned AG land, so I meant it in that context. If we were 20 years younger, we would have considered true AG land, because my wife loved her childhood on the BI cattle ranch, and I would have been amenable to it. But she’s 71, and I’m 62, so we feel that true personal farming (or whatever it’s called) is too much to take on at this point in our lives. We’ll probably have a small garden, though.

By the way, we saw a couple of properties in Orchidland Estates in our price range that we really liked. Our plan is to rent until we find we find our dream house (or, more accurately, our reality house

Old 09-06-2021, 09:17 AM

8,886 posts, read 4,574,730 times
Quote:
When I mentioned AG land, I thought HPP was zoned AG land, so I meant it in that context. If we were 20 years younger, we would have considered true AG land, because my wife loved her childhood on the BI cattle ranch, and I would have been amenable to it. But she’s 71, and I’m 62, so we feel that true personal farming (or whatever it’s called) is too much to take on at this point in our lives. We’ll probably have a small garden, though.

By the way, we saw a couple of properties in Orchidland Estates in our price range that we really liked. Our plan is to rent until we find we find our dream house (or, more accurately, our reality house
Renting sounds like a good idea if you can find a property to rent. I moved off island about 4 years ago, and at that time there wasn't much to rent, and I can't imagine that the rental market has improved. Are you seeing things that would fit your needs?

Old 09-06-2021, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye77 View Post
Renting sounds like a good idea if you can find a property to rent. I moved off island about 4 years ago, and at that time there wasn't much to rent, and I can't imagine that the rental market has improved. Are you seeing things that would fit your needs?
Yes, we’ve heard that rental properties are scarce in Hilo. Anything that’s available now will be gone by the time we get there. We’re hoping to find something through our network of friends and family, like our friend who owns rental properties.

Old 09-06-2021, 11:57 AM

8,886 posts, read 4,574,730 times
Quote:
Yes, we’ve heard that rental properties are scarce in Hilo. Anything that’s available now will be gone by the time we get there. We’re hoping to find something through our network of friends and family, like our friend who owns rental properties.
I just checked on Zillow for rentals in Hilo and they only showed 2. Best wishes on your move and new adventure!

Old 09-06-2021, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye77 View Post
I just checked on Zillow for rentals in Hilo and they only showed 2. Best wishes on your move and new adventure!
Thanks!

Old 09-06-2021, 01:20 PM

4,412 posts, read 4,895,355 times
Quote:
That's what we did. Essentially we bought the only house that was on the market that met our size, acreage, and income requirements. It's not our dream house, but if one spends all their time indoors, what's the point of living in Hawaii?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island