Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2006, 06:55 AM

1 posts, read 6,515 times

Advertisements

I live in Puna and love it. being from Oregon was use to rain. Here it is warm rain at least, last year was very rainy. This year not as much alot of sunny days and rain at night.Alot of people say drugs are a problem in this area. i haven't noticed the effects on people here as much as in Portland Oregon. I think because we are on an island it is more concentrated. still don't see many classic meth heads. Not sure about the schools as I don't have any kids but every area in the world as something someone may not like. good luck and visit the island first many different areas to chose first
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2006, 12:38 AM

2,624 posts, read 7,261,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bas1 View Post
Ps check out the thread on HOmeowner's insurance on the Big Island. YOu could be in a lava flow area and not be able to get or afford insurance.
Many houses were a total loss on the Big Island and the people got no insurance for them when hit by lava.
All of the Big Island is in a potential lava flow area; however, in Lava Zone 1 (which is supposedly the "riskiest"), insurance is available from HPIA and Lloyd's of London. Considering the seismic activity of the past couple of months, I'd be more concerned about damage from earthquakes instead of a potential lava flow.

Old 12-14-2006, 10:05 PM

3 posts, read 14,638 times
Wink Just Do It

Whatever happened to someone making the difference for right? I'll tell you what you should do... You should go to Puna plan on things maybe being a little tougher and a little different in certain areas but decide in your heart you can make a difference.
Go and be the teacher thats going to raise the standard of excellence in their weak school systems. Don't let weakness make you weak. Don't lick your finger and stick it up to see which way the wind is blowing. Decide and purpose in your heart that you and your family are going to make a positive impact and grow in a growing area.
We don't want any more floundering folks squating for awhile and then leaving. Stick and stay and make it pay.

Old 12-19-2006, 12:15 PM

1 posts, read 6,506 times
Puna homes have become way too expensive in the last few years--far out of line with what people in the area can afford to pay. A lot of mainlanders come over on vacation, fall in love with Puna, buy a home based on mainland market prices, then they end up not moving and get stuck with the house. I am one of these people. I spent a total of only maybe 5 or 6 nights in my Puna Beach Palisades subdivision home, a beautiful, tranquil place but not the home away from home I wanted. I was lucky to sell at the top of the market....it is back on the market and has been sitting there almost a year.

So, be careful when you buy...get a good home inspector. Buy a newer home if you can because the building codes a few years back were not as good. The tropics is very hard on homes...sun and rain can beat a wood frame home to a pulp. Make sure foliage is not too close to the home--otherwise moisture and insect damage will occur over time. Get pier-and-post construction if you can--same concept: separate the home from the elements. Stick to the better subdivisions-- Puna Beach Palisades, Leilani, HSRE, maybe HPP if you want to be closer to Hilo.

I still hope to live in Puna someday...good luck and hope you find what you are looking for. Aloha!

Old 12-19-2006, 07:43 PM

1,749 posts, read 8,339,568 times
Puna is medieval. There are many people living in shacks who do not bathe. People are pretty laid back. There are a couple nice neighborhoods as well. You can get a decent house for the money you're talking about. If you can get a teaching job, you'll pay your bills.

I've noticed people from Alaska (for the most part) do very well here. Most Californians end up running back screaming within a couple years. It's a very different place. I suggest a vacation here first to scope it out.

Old 12-20-2006, 03:52 PM

25 posts, read 25,737 times
Sorcerer68 is pretty accurate with the description. There are good neighborhoods and bad neighborhoods. You need to talk to a few RE agents that are experienced with the different subdivisions that make up the whole Puna District. Or better yet ask the members here which subdivisions are the better ones for you to check out. Just a suggestion.

Kona Dave

Old 09-11-2007, 03:05 PM

1 posts, read 6,169 times
Default I Thought Puna Was Great

In response to your concerns, I just returned from Puna(3 days ago), after living in Chickaloon/Sutton for a while, (15 years total Alaska), my family and I are moving. The land is beautiful, and unlike Alaskans, very friendly. The meth problem does'nt compare to the Matsu drug problem, and not everyone has guns. View yourselves as pioneers, we are. We also are degreed professionals (social services/marine sciences/botany), we bid on nine acres and are going to build a beautiful house all under 250,000, with the exception of the coqui frogs at lower elevation, I loved the whole island. Much nicer than Oahu, and closer than New Zealand. Mostly, the beautiful people of all kinds. Sure there are some attitudes, where are'nt there. Come with open arms, and you'll be treated accordingly. A little reverse racism, so what... Teach the locals other ways, become one, make a difference. We will.

Old 09-11-2007, 04:35 PM

1,375 posts, read 6,304,921 times
Thank you for these observations! Of course we have our issues here on the Big Island, but in comparison to many other cities/towns we are doing just fine!!

Old 10-05-2007, 12:07 AM

1 posts, read 6,125 times
Default Living in Puna

Hi, Just read your letter full of questions and thought maybe I could answer a few. We have just moved here ourselves from Oregon and I love it. I am just getting ready to start job hunting, my husband has been over here for four months now and working for 3 1/2 of them. I have only found one of those nasty centipedes, although I know they are around. We moved here for various reasons, several involving health issues. I have allergy induced asthma and had a horrible time in Oregon, but am not having any problems at all since we have been here. Cleanest air on earth and all that. My husband does occasionally get sinus issues related to the VOG, bu surprisingly this does not bother me. I personally HATE cockroaches, but they don't bite or sting, so I just deal with it. It rains during the day or the night, although it seems to rain more often at night here in the hawaiian beaches area we are in. I have yet to put on one thing with sleeves on it regardless of rain. My windows are always open and the air blows through day or night. The whole family loves it and we get out to do family activities alot here. In oregon, We would ride our quads on the dunes, here we go snorkeling or fishing or off roading/exploring. We have all taken up photography........ Overall, There is no such place as paradise and there are always good/ bad and ugly things where ever you go, but as far as our stay on east side of Hawaii, so far we all love it. I even have a "nerd" who is my computer geek that loves to get out to smorkel and find fish he can later identify and bugs galore that he takes pictures of........ So, it has been a very good move for the whole family.... Send me an e-mail if you are in the area and maybe I can try to show you around a little.... or at least give you a few hints on where to go coweyes4566@hotmail.com

Old 10-10-2007, 01:07 PM

10 posts, read 58,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DESERTSUN View Post
I wanted to give you a different view of Puna, being that I grew up there. The school system is one of the worst on the island. Not only are there centipedes, but you will find, like most of the residents, that your homes will be shared with roaches with wings, red ants, that seem to never go away no matter what you do to them, and the famouse cane spiders that are the size of a can of soda in diameter.
There is nothing tropical about the land, it just reminds me of living in the bushes.The beach is beautiful, but to be honest, there is nothing for kids to do!!! Do not do this to your children.
I heard about the Large "Cane Spiders" saw a centipede when I was their is Pahoa! good to have a cat in the house! The centipede I saw was on the outside of a concrete catchment. Got any pics of Cane spiders? sure would love to see what they look like. I am planning on moving to Puna because I want a slower life style! have visited 2X. Yeah you have Kokei frogs I am sure too. My children are already grown so I would not be bringing any kids over, just me and my hubby. I heard about the "B-52" bomber roaches. Here in the Cali desert we have what is called a Mojave Green rattle snake. Makes no rattle before it bites you! extremely poisonious too! I guess all places have insect and animal issues! we have those pesky red ants too in the desert. I still like the way of life in Puna/Pahoa.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island