Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2007, 01:19 PM

10 posts, read 58,849 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coweyes4566 View Post
Hi, Just read your letter full of questions and thought maybe I could answer a few. We have just moved here ourselves from Oregon and I love it. I am just getting ready to start job hunting, my husband has been over here for four months now and working for 3 1/2 of them. I have only found one of those nasty centipedes, although I know they are around. We moved here for various reasons, several involving health issues. I have allergy induced asthma and had a horrible time in Oregon, but am not having any problems at all since we have been here. Cleanest air on earth and all that. My husband does occasionally get sinus issues related to the VOG, bu surprisingly this does not bother me. I personally HATE cockroaches, but they don't bite or sting, so I just deal with it. It rains during the day or the night, although it seems to rain more often at night here in the hawaiian beaches area we are in. I have yet to put on one thing with sleeves on it regardless of rain. My windows are always open and the air blows through day or night. The whole family loves it and we get out to do family activities alot here. In oregon, We would ride our quads on the dunes, here we go snorkeling or fishing or off roading/exploring. We have all taken up photography........ Overall, There is no such place as paradise and there are always good/ bad and ugly things where ever you go, but as far as our stay on east side of Hawaii, so far we all love it. I even have a "nerd" who is my computer geek that loves to get out to smorkel and find fish he can later identify and bugs galore that he takes pictures of........ So, it has been a very good move for the whole family.... Send me an e-mail if you are in the area and maybe I can try to show you around a little.... or at least give you a few hints on where to go coweyes4566@hotmail.com
Sounds like you like Puna for the same reasons I do. I am looking forward to relocating. I am paring down now as I don't want a big place in Puna. I enjoy fishing and the ocean, and exploring. I spend Christmas and New Years last year in Hawaii, and I have to say Christmas eve shopping in Hawaii was the nicest experience ever! Hawaiian are not rude! most of the people from Cali are rude! pushing and shoving! what kind of life style is that!! I am trying to figure out the best way to move my belongings though...through Matson or? I figure I would move two new cars since cars are expensive to replace, and one container for household furniture ect..what does not fit in the containers...does not go. I found out that Matson does not move your car inside a container, but exposed to the sea? I don't think I want my new cars exposed to the elements that long on a ship. But anyway I am looking forward to moving to Puna and being "Hawaiian" and leaving Cali! I live here, but I don't have a "Cali" attitude! Thanks for any info you can offer!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2007, 02:00 PM

6 posts, read 19,216 times
Exclamation hawaii

i would suggest moving somewhere else. the schools in the puna area are really bad. The people arent very nice and its just not a nice place to live.

Old 12-21-2007, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UpNorth View Post
Thanks for reading this and taking your time to respond! I truly appreciate it and I apologize for this LENGTHY post.

My family and I currently live in Anchorage, AK. I am an elementary teacher (although I’m perfectly happy to look into other career paths – tourism, service...) and my husband is nearing the completion of his BA in Business Management. We are a young family (We are 26 and our children are ages 1 & 4) and my husband and I are both just starting our careers - meaning we're ready to move out of Alaska and make a fresh start elsewhere...

We're looking into the Puna area. Realistically we wouldn’t be moving for another 1-2 years, either summer 2007 or summer 2008. We are very laid back and adaptable and we tend to make friends easily. We don’t consider ourselves religious and we’re on the liberal side of many/most issues– SO is Puna the right place for us to establish ourselves? Also we will be relocating with about $25,000 either to help us live until we find jobs, or hopefully for a down payment on a home.

Here are some reasons we are thinking of moving (PLEASE dispel any myths/misconceptions that we have) :

Single-family homes seem attainable for middle/working class (plenty in the lower $200,000 range in Puna), slow-paced life style, warm weather, plenty of outdoor activities (hiking, fishing...), growing area, commutable distance to Hilo...?

Are the above ideas accurate?

We are realistic that Hawaii/Puna is not a “stress-free perfect paradise.” We do understand there are many drawbacks about Puna (or Hawaii in general)– Again, PLEASE dispel any misconceptions:

We understand that there is a higher cost of living (being from Alaska, we can somewhat relate), high state taxes, isolation (again, being from Alaska, we can relate), homes having the possibility of being in a past/future “lava path,” mold/mildew issues in homes, some homes in the Puna area have “rain catchers” for water...

We understand that this area gets a LOT of rain – although I think I'm used to that (I grew up on the northern, northern coast of California where it was grey and rainy for several months each year and many days each month), but does Puna get most of its rain at night? Are residents able to usually enjoy the day doing outdoor activities? What about sunshine... Would residents describe the weather as pleasant or is cloudy & grey mostly?

Did anyone see the article in the Honolulu Adviser titled, “Rural Puna district needs help” ? Here’s a link: http://the.honoluluadvertiser.com/ar.../ln/ln42a.html Granted, it looks to be about 2 years old, but worrisome nonetheless.

And for just a few more questions: Are families (not just retirees) moving to Puna and are they succeeding in finding homes & jobs? Are mainlanders welcomed or discouraged in the Puna area? This is my silliest question yet, but I have to ask: are there poisonous/venomous insects or spiders that residents have problems with either indoors OR outdoors? I’m not at all bothered by cockroaches – I lived in Central America as a high school exchange student one summer and bugs in general don’t creep me out; also the mosquito is known as Alaska's state bird so we're used to those too. However, should I be concerned about my young children with other insects/spiders... how about that venomous centipede I’ve heard about?

Also, I am almost finished reading the book “So You Want to Live in Hawaii” by Polancy. It seems to be a realistic, straight-forward book, except out-dated housing prices, but has anyone read it? If so do they have opinions on it?

Finally, finally... we are planning to visit the Puna area this spring (March 2007) to experience Puna life first hand. We plan to stay in a “non-touristy” condo (we’ve seen several options on (removed) to really experience Puna life, not a Puna vacation. Any further suggestions on that would be most helpful. My husband and I have been to Kauai and Maui a couples of times, but never to the Big Island.

OK, you’ve actually read this entire post and I thank you from the bottom of my heart. All feedback is appreciated.
Again, Mahalo!
Thank You! Thank You! Thank You!
Now I think Puna is great! As long as you leave your Haole attitude back home! Puna district is cheaper because their is an active Volcano on the island! You never know what the Volcano is going to do! It creates and distroys! Yes, the centi is something to think about..I advise getting a kitty for your house! shake banana leaves before you pick banana's because of the banana spider..some area's are on septic so you don't want to clean anything with bleach..you can keep mold or mildew from growing on the outside of your house with a bleach solution..but I don't advise it because of the island. Once you get accepted as Kamaiiana (local child) ..you will be fine. Some are accepted right away..others take a while! Some area's can get up to 200 inches of rain..but I don't mind catchment at all! it's great! The weather is nice..you will do fine as long as you don't have an attitude! you appreciate Hawaiian culture. Mahalo!

Old 12-21-2007, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DESERTSUN View Post
I wanted to give you a different view of Puna, being that I grew up there. The school system is one of the worst on the island. Not only are there centipedes, but you will find, like most of the residents, that your homes will be shared with roaches with wings, red ants, that seem to never go away no matter what you do to them, and the famouse cane spiders that are the size of a can of soda in diameter.
There is nothing tropical about the land, it just reminds me of living in the bushes.The beach is beautiful, but to be honest, there is nothing for kids to do!!! Do not do this to your children.
Oh yes! The cane spider! true! big and scary!

Old 04-16-2008, 10:06 PM

49 posts, read 216,084 times
Default thanks!

wow - thank you so much everyone!

Your responses were all very thoughtful and helpful.

Nearly 2 years later... My family finally had the opportunity to visit the wonderful BIG ISLAND!

As a whole, we loved our visit. We drove around the whole island and fell in love with an area... sadly, it was not Puna. Nice place, but I didn't get the vibe that if would fit all of my wants and needs.

We really loved Wiamea/Kamuela! And if I ever move there - I would definately go back to the Puna and Hilo areas to visit, but not to live.

I've now been to Kauai, Maui, Oahu, and the Big Island - I truly loved the Big Island the best. It didn't feel like a vacation spot - it felt like home. I loved the northern part.

Thanks again everyone!

Old 04-19-2008, 05:16 AM

2,054 posts, read 3,340,178 times
UpNorth, I would listen to these stories. They are pretty much on target. Puna is not a good place to live. The vibe there is very weird. So many, many people move to Hawaii w/ all sorts of ideas about the place, and get a wake up when they actually move to the islands. I have seen it over and over again. Come to the place that you want to move to and stay a while BEFORE you actually move. It will be cheaper and less traumatic in the long run that way if you don't decide to move and buy, and if you do decide to move there it will be money well spent. No amount of internet research can compete w/ spending some time in a place. You have to apply for jobs, do the commutes, etc before you can make such a big decision. Trust me, this comes from hard experience.

Old 04-19-2008, 10:28 AM

49 posts, read 216,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smarino View Post
UpNorth, I would listen to these stories. They are pretty much on target. Puna is not a good place to live. The vibe there is very weird. So many, many people move to Hawaii w/ all sorts of ideas about the place, and get a wake up when they actually move to the islands. I have seen it over and over again. Come to the place that you want to move to and stay a while BEFORE you actually move. It will be cheaper and less traumatic in the long run that way if you don't decide to move and buy, and if you do decide to move there it will be money well spent. No amount of internet research can compete w/ spending some time in a place. You have to apply for jobs, do the commutes, etc before you can make such a big decision. Trust me, this comes from hard experience.
right... that's why I just said that I did visit puna (2 months ago), and that's why just wrote that I don't plan to move there...

Thanks for the advice, but I'm thinking that you didn't read my last post on this thread.

peace
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island