Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-04-2009, 04:59 PM

1,234 posts, read 4,592,505 times

Advertisements

Aloha
Whats your lava stories? Fun ,Scary, or just beautiful

Ill start with watching a sunset with the lava flowing into the sea such an amazing sight. Then walking back over the lava tube and seeing the glow in the cracks between our slippahs (yes i said slippahs we forgot to bring out shoes lol) people started to freak out at the sight . It was so much fun.

I wanna hear fron you all
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2009, 06:18 PM

62 posts, read 223,647 times
Last time I was there was in March - April of this year. We didn't want to walk to the Lava from the Kalapana side because of all the signs and officers so we we walked from Volcano National Park. It was about an 8 mile one way trip but WOW was it ever worth it!! We took hundreds and hundreds of pictures and I also brought along my Camcorder. We waited out there a few hours for dark to settle in, took some more photos, took in the site and I must say...what a site it is at night!! Then we took out our Solar Flashlights (with battery back up of course) and walked back 8 miles to our car. It was well worth the 16 mile round trip hike. It would have been worth a 50 mile hike to see it.

The funny thing is the 1st part of the flowing lava you come to is actually inside the Volcano National Park even though the rangers swear there is NO activity inside the park. I guess they just don't want people walking 8 miles one way to possibly get hurt. I know there are too many tourists that do not realize the actual danger out there and would not come prepared (Not enough water, no flashlights, no food, no long pants, etc, etc)

We decided the next time we go we are bringing a bag of Marshmellows and going to roast them over the lava. That will make for a good home video!!

Old 05-04-2009, 06:40 PM

3,752 posts, read 11,520,618 times
We have amazing pics of our 3 boys crouching down right in front of a breakout. We made it into an 8x10. We also have pics of them near the famous No Parking and Speed Limit signs that used to be along the Chain of Craters road.

Wife was not wearing gloves the first time we went to see lava, back in 2003. She slipped and got a really nasty set of cuts on her arm as she tried to protect herself. Later, back at the hotel, we carefully plucked bits of glass-like pieces of lava from her arm and hand. She will never forget that trip.

Old 05-04-2009, 06:46 PM

312 posts, read 1,375,157 times
in 2003 when it was flowing in the park it was only a 2.5 mile walk each way. we headed out in the afternoon, and as the sun was going down and we were almost there you could see the long lava tendrils on the pali in the distance, like huge lava waterfalls! we got out to the lava flows, roasted marshmellows and hot dogs, watched it flow until much after sunset. the noise, the smell, the heat, you'll never forget it! on the way out we noticed tons of sky lights beneath us, where we had walked in and couldn't see them during the day! the expirience will change your life. it's one of themost humbling expiriences of my life. such an amazing thing that so few people get to see or expirience, such an amazing force of nature. we were set to go back the very next night, but a helicopter crashed on the lava field and they shut the place down. didn't stop me from taking a ride over it earlier this year!

Old 05-05-2009, 02:21 PM

1,234 posts, read 4,592,505 times
Great stories guys

Keep it up I wanna hear mere
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island