Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Birds
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2012, 08:37 AM

12,406 posts, read 18,966,786 times

Advertisements

That must be so much fun. I wonder if there were a car that looked like yours, if that would also happen. There were tests, I think on crows, and they do recognize people.

I heard that in London, in Trafalgar Square, they are fining people for feeding them. The droppings are eroding the statues. So sad.

We feed them with food we buy at the supermarket. A scoop of regular (little beige) seeds, a scoop of fruit and nut seed mix, a scoop of sunflower seeds, and a handful of peanuts. They no longer like bread or cut up pizza crusts, even when I dampen them and put them in a plastic bag in the fridge to moisten them. Blue jays actually fly away with peanuts. Sometimes a jay will sit in a tree and give his warning call for a cat in the vicinity. All the other birds fly away, and he flies in a scoops up his nut. Jays never sit on the pavement and eat with the rest. They fly and scoop and fly away.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2012, 07:48 AM

6,591 posts, read 24,854,114 times
YES wild pigeon carry parasites, but so do ALL wild birds, and deer and squirrels and chipmonks and...and...and...
pigeons are very cool creatures, highly adaptable, incrediby inteligent USEFULL and NOT dirty if raised in the corrct circumstances.
they are a good source of HEALTHY meat when raised in clean facilities that outdoes chicken under even the worst of cisrcumstances on MUCH less feed and they can be lovely to watch!

i take offence to the "rats with wings" comment...but then again i also like rats! lol.

id love to put a flock of fancies on my property, im lnlove with white homers (the "doves" used in wedding ceremonies are actually more frequently white homing pigeons!) and fantails make me smile!
theres certainly nothing ugly about a Lahore pigeon

Old 11-03-2012, 11:34 PM

7 posts, read 8,977 times
We (my brother and I) raise pigeons. We have 3 breeds of flying pigeons (not homers) which loft fly.
We currently have, I believe 100 exactly. not counting Sampson whom is my brothers pet.
He is referred to as a New York Flying Flight. We also have these as flyers along with English Tipplers and a tumbling breed from Basraw Iraq.
Only Sampson is tame like this, the other are only tame in the sense that we can fly them and they trap back into the loft.
We hand raised Sampson with this intention (human imprinted) in mind.
Sampson lives outside and is currently 7 months old. He is let out daily and has recently traveled to Moab, UT

Sampson and Rascal the pit/basset mix.

Sampson sun bathing in Moab.

Last edited by Tippler; 11-03-2012 at 11:45 PM..

Old 11-04-2012, 09:34 AM

6,591 posts, read 24,854,114 times
hes just lovely!

Old 11-05-2012, 11:54 PM

12 posts, read 15,131 times
Pigeons are amazing birds, I like pigeons

Old 11-06-2012, 10:29 AM

12,406 posts, read 18,966,786 times
Thank you, Tippler, for those wonderful shots of Sampson. What a cute pet he seems to be. I guess a person could not just pick up a wild pigeon and try and make a pet of him. They seem like such good natured birds.

Old 06-07-2013, 08:45 AM

2,646 posts, read 1,845,198 times
Sampson the pet pigeon looks so special. His friend is very special, too.

So glad that more people love pigeons and doves than hate them. How could you hate such bright, beautiful birds. Well, guess that's what makes us human and not robots........just had a mom and pop duo in my hanging flower basket and they took turns watching over their little ones. What a joy!!

Old 06-07-2013, 10:50 AM

6,471 posts, read 10,338,139 times
I had a pet pigeon who I never kept in a cage and he could come and go as he pleased. He would come home to roost every night and was quite sociable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Birds