Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Birds
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2015, 08:07 PM

30 posts, read 41,165 times

Advertisements

I clip my goffin's wings but very little--a modified clip. He is a strong flyer and I don't want him getting anywhere near the ceiling fan. A heavy clip and he drops like a rock and breaks feather. He has enough flight that he can fly from me to his cage. He has to have the ability to fly because I have dogs. I have to lock up one of the dogs in order to have the bird out because that dog is aggressive. I don't think clipping is "cruel." I had a cockatiel who flew behind a dresser and got stuck. Luckily I was right there to fish her out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2015, 07:47 AM

15 posts, read 15,680 times
I do not clip the flight feathers of my adopted 14-year old jenday conure. He is free to fly around my 1-bedroom apartment whenever I am home.

Old 07-08-2015, 12:19 AM

508 posts, read 663,485 times
When I had birds with clippable wings, they were clipped. It made it easier for me to keep them under control and to keep things clean while still giving them what freedom I could.

I only have finches now. They do NOT get out of their cages. I had it suggested to me that I was cruel to keep them caged, but I'll be double-dog-d***ed if I'll have birds flying all over the house - and pooping wherever they feel like pooping. Some people have no common sense.

When I had cockatiels, I did let them out of their cages - with wings clipped - but I did not give them the run of the house.

My sister had parrots that she let loose all over the house. The place was filthy. If it had been her own place, that would have been one thing - but she was leaching off my dad and thus she was forcing him to live in the same filthy conditions. He had pneumonia 3 times in a year before I found out what was going on and forced her to take her filthy birds and move out. The carpet in her room crunched when you walked across it, from a combination of spilled seeds, hulls, and poop. My son asked me what it was that was crusted all over the walls - it was bird poop.

So yes, when I had cockatiels, I clipped my birds wings, and I didn't give them the run of the house. And I have no intention of letting the finches fly around pooping all over, either.

Old 07-08-2015, 10:41 AM

10,358 posts, read 7,988,269 times
This thread is reminding me that my trio are overdue for their trim. I like to take just a little off the tips of the first 3-4 flight feathers; it's just enough to slow them down a bit, but they can still maneuver in the air pretty well and fly quite competently for short distances.

Old 08-02-2015, 10:05 PM

1,028 posts, read 3,082,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aredhel View Post
This thread is reminding me that my trio are overdue for their trim. I like to take just a little off the tips of the first 3-4 flight feathers; it's just enough to slow them down a bit, but they can still maneuver in the air pretty well and fly quite competently for short distances.
I think that is called a tuxedo cut. I always clipped my birds wings, and have clipped many wings myself as I hand reared and sold them in pet store. It may not be what they are bred to do, but then again, they were not created to live indoors with no means of providing for themselves. If they do get out, it is not very likely to be what their breeds natural environment is either so they will likely not survive due to food/temps/predators. That does not even tap the surface on indoor dangers.

We boarded pets at our store, and a customer who refused to clip her Cockatoos wings brought him in to board. Wouldn't you know that as she got out of the car his cage popped open and he flew to the top of a large tree and stayed there four hours.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Birds