Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2007, 10:56 AM

1 posts, read 3,391 times

Advertisements

I'm relocating to Birmingham from Chicago. I have asked several people about where to look for an apartment, and it seems like I get a very different answer from everyone. I've looked at a few on 280 around Iverness and like the more modern apartments; however, I'm told five points is the place to be. The apartments I've looked at on-line in five points seem to be very run down, old, and smaller. I will be traveling quite a bit, but when I'm home on the weekends I'd like to have some bars and things to do that are very close by. Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks in advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2007, 02:53 PM

453 posts, read 2,100,808 times
five points south is a great area downtown with plenty of bars and such, but it's an older area of downtown. 280 is a much newer area, and still has plenty of nightlife, though it's not all within walking distance.

Old 06-24-2007, 06:51 PM

55 posts, read 265,066 times
Hi TheOne!

It really depends on what you're loooking for...you really cannot go wrong with either area. 280 is an area where many recent graduates & "20 somethings" flock to because the apartments are new & the amenities are numerous. You also have the convenience of WalMart, Target, USPS, UPS, Mail Boxes Etc, Kinko's, FedEx, The Fresh Market, The Summit, every bank & decent dry cleaners, etc, etc...

Southside has the charm of being an older neighborhood where you can walk to many locations but doesn't offer the convenience of every store you could ever need in a 5 mile radius! Only 280 has that!! Southside is cool though because it offers an eclectic mix of people and this diversity is synonymous with the whole Southside appeal! On the upside, Southside should offer more affordable housing than 280 in general :-)

Stay in Birmingham a few weeks & check both areas out in person...always helps before you make any commitments!

Old 07-12-2007, 05:32 PM

4 posts, read 28,042 times
Try looking downtown. There are lots & lots & lots of new apts.condos/lofts about to come "online", and probably el-cheapo compared to what you're used to!! I think Operation New Birmingham ONB.org or ONB.gov is a place to look. Highland Park, Crestwood, FOREST PARK, Redmont Park (think Oak Park, IL) are great neighborhoods to investigate. Try to find realtors working within the city, and you'll do just fine.

fyi: 98% of EVERYONE you talk to will stear you away from the city. Suburbia is GOD in Birmingham, and cities/urbanism is the devil. It's sad, but true!

Old 07-15-2007, 09:39 PM

37 posts, read 204,232 times
If downtown and 5 points don't appeal to you, then maybe the newer apartments across from The Summit would be more your style. You'd have several nice restaurants nearby, plus JoeMuggs, Barnes & Noble, a movie theater, etc. within walking distance.

Old 08-11-2007, 09:00 PM

3 posts, read 8,266 times
I'm going to be relocating as well to Birmingham from California. How do i find t280, is that a city or highway? Also, any particular location downtown? I work in medical sales and will be driving to hospitals regularly. I also have a dog and want to be able to walk around the city.

Old 08-13-2007, 05:39 AM

453 posts, read 2,100,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seanbeaty View Post
I'm going to be relocating as well to Birmingham from California. How do i find t280, is that a city or highway?
280 is a highway that runs from birmingham towards auburn. there are plenty of nices places to live near it such as mountain brook, homewood, cahaba heights, inverness, chelsea, etc.
this may may help: cherokee forest, al - Google Maps

Old 08-13-2007, 11:45 AM

6,048 posts, read 18,417,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seanbeaty View Post
I'm going to be relocating as well to Birmingham from California. How do i find t280, is that a city or highway? Also, any particular location downtown? I work in medical sales and will be driving to hospitals regularly. I also have a dog and want to be able to walk around the city.
As MrDude said, 280 is U.S. Highway 280. It is a heavily commercial highway until it goes over the mountain and south past Chelsea, where it goes back to being rural. Can you say "suburbia?" LOL! Nice area, lots of shopping, but probably not where you want to be if you want to walk to stuff.
Walking around town - probably 5 Points and that area. Lots of apartments, some condos, walk to restaurants etc. You can live downtown in a condo, but you have to be VERY careful where you get out and walk. Downtown condo living is just now starting to happen.
You might want to search the Alabama forum - we've had quite a few discussions about where to live in Birmingham. That might give you a place to start.
Welcome to Alabama!

Old 08-14-2007, 03:53 PM

12 posts, read 57,269 times
I would also recommend Hwy 280. The traffic sticks but you are close to everything. Look at crowne at grandview apts. i think the website is crowneapts.com

Old 08-27-2007, 02:26 PM

3 posts, read 8,266 times
Default downtown loft

hey i'm in the process of getting a loft on IRst st. above the Steel Urban Lounge downtown. any opinion on this area and lounge?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southlander View Post
As MrDude said, 280 is U.S. Highway 280. It is a heavily commercial highway until it goes over the mountain and south past Chelsea, where it goes back to being rural. Can you say "suburbia?" LOL! Nice area, lots of shopping, but probably not where you want to be if you want to walk to stuff.
Walking around town - probably 5 Points and that area. Lots of apartments, some condos, walk to restaurants etc. You can live downtown in a condo, but you have to be VERY careful where you get out and walk. Downtown condo living is just now starting to happen.
You might want to search the Alabama forum - we've had quite a few discussions about where to live in Birmingham. That might give you a place to start.
Welcome to Alabama!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area