Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2013, 09:11 AM

309 posts, read 718,146 times

Advertisements

Then Atlanta would no longer be a major city. Nor Seattle. Nor Los Angeles...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2013, 12:43 PM

1,580 posts, read 2,898,951 times
I think a city needs at least two or three teams to be "major" but it doesn't have to have a team in all four. As ttownfeen mentioned even LA doesn't have all four (no NFL) and I think pretty much everyone would concede that Los Angeles is a major city. Atlanta and Houston each have three teams (no hockey), and Seattle only has two and all of those are probably considered major cities on a national level (of course Seattle may gain another team or two in the next few years as they are actively pursuing NBA and NHL).

But it is tough to consider a city that doesn't have any pro sports as a major national city.

Old 05-06-2013, 12:57 PM

1,892 posts, read 3,085,861 times
I think a lot of folks on here should study geography first and then decide where they want to classify the cities of there preference. Most explanations have been very superficial and irrelavent to what the cultural and economic dynamics are in the communities. (I was personally amused when one person dismissed UAB as irrelavent among schools in the country. Tell that to the doctors and research organizations that know that bio-research has lifted UAB SCHOOL OF MED to the top ten in the nation, as reported by two publications in the industry this year)
I really don't quite get the competitiion thing that goes on. Cities are so complex that it is truly apples to oranges. A good example; New Orleans, is living off its past reputation. It is well known but is a shell of itself when it comes to business , retail, industry, even tourism. It lost a third of its population and many of those big buildings downtown will be empty fifiteen years from now because the companies moved to Houston permanently.
I mention this as a reminder that a cities fortunes can change overnight. With N.O. it was weather. With downtown Atlanta real estate (40 percent vacancies) it was national trends slowing the convention machine. All cities have a time of surge and recede. Birmingham grew early and will reawaken because business can't ignore its advantages. I remember when Charlotte was a backwater town with blocks and blocks of land empty from tearing down old buildings. (not to build anything, just to tear them down. nice town, but odd?) They wanted to be Atlanta so bad, still do, that they had noticed Atlanta tore all its history down too. I think a lot of people think Birmingham isn't growing because we have all the great historic and beautiful buildings and just a few glass buildings. lol
Frankly towns are lucky to have steady growth rather than booms, as the boom towns face the down times with the most hurt.
It's a game, this is my rant and I will give you no list.

raj

Old 05-06-2013, 01:30 PM

6,610 posts, read 9,036,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raj kapoor View Post
I think a lot of folks on here should study geography first and then decide where they want to classify the cities of there preference. Most explanations have been very superficial and irrelavent to what the cultural and economic dynamics are in the communities. (I was personally amused when one person dismissed UAB as irrelavent among schools in the country. Tell that to the doctors and research organizations that know that bio-research has lifted UAB SCHOOL OF MED to the top ten in the nation, as reported by two publications in the industry this year)
I really don't quite get the competitiion thing that goes on. Cities are so complex that it is truly apples to oranges. A good example; New Orleans, is living off its past reputation. It is well known but is a shell of itself when it comes to business , retail, industry, even tourism. It lost a third of its population and many of those big buildings downtown will be empty fifiteen years from now because the companies moved to Houston permanently.
I mention this as a reminder that a cities fortunes can change overnight. With N.O. it was weather. With downtown Atlanta real estate (40 percent vacancies) it was national trends slowing the convention machine. All cities have a time of surge and recede. Birmingham grew early and will reawaken because business can't ignore its advantages. I remember when Charlotte was a backwater town with blocks and blocks of land empty from tearing down old buildings. (not to build anything, just to tear them down. nice town, but odd?) They wanted to be Atlanta so bad, still do, that they had noticed Atlanta tore all its history down too. I think a lot of people think Birmingham isn't growing because we have all the great historic and beautiful buildings and just a few glass buildings. lol
Frankly towns are lucky to have steady growth rather than booms, as the boom towns face the down times with the most hurt.
It's a game, this is my rant and I will give you no list.

raj
You must be very unfamiliar with Atlanta to make such a comment. Atlanta has a very large stock of historic buildings and several historic districts. Look into it sometime if you like history and be ready for a treat.

Your comment about Charlotte is unfair too. Charlotte has boomed and develop on it's own - not because it "wanted to be Atlanta". That's just silly.

I know people have made negative comments about Birmingham in this thread, but that is no reason to disparage other cities in return.

Old 05-06-2013, 01:34 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,157,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTarheel View Post
You must be very unfamiliar with Atlanta to make such a comment. Atlanta has a very large stock of historic buildings and several historic districts. Look into it sometime if you like history and be ready for a treat.

Your comment about Charlotte is unfair too. Charlotte has boomed and develop on it's own - not because it "wanted to be Atlanta". That's just silly.

I know people have made negative comments about Birmingham in this thread, but that is no reason to disparage other cities in return.
Oh yeah? Well...well...Charlotte is named after a girl. And it's named The Queen City. Take that.

Old 05-06-2013, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
Oh yeah? Well...well...Charlotte is named after a girl. And it's named The Queen City. Take that.
LOL! I love sarcasm...

Old 05-06-2013, 02:36 PM

281 posts, read 426,466 times
I would say it is because Atlanta is considered to be the most major city in the Southeast and it's city population is only 432,000 but it's MSA population is 5.5 million and it's CSA is over 6 million. Greenville is considered to be a major city in South Carolina and it's city population is only 62,000 but it's MSA population is 842,000 and it's CSA population is about 1.4 million. Birmingham's city population is 212,000 but it's MSA population is about 1.1 million and it's CSA population is 1.3 million.

Old 05-06-2013, 04:12 PM

153 posts, read 277,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kgartm1185 View Post
Greenville is considered to be a major city in South Carolina and it's city population is only 62,000 but it's MSA population is 842,000 and it's CSA population is about 1.4 million.
This is largely because of MSA's and CSA's being county-based. Those 1.4 million people don't all live in Greenville built-up area.

Old 05-06-2013, 04:24 PM

11 posts, read 29,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by po-boy View Post
I think a city needs at least two or three teams to be "major" but it doesn't have to have a team in all four. As ttownfeen mentioned even LA doesn't have all four (no NFL) and I think pretty much everyone would concede that Los Angeles is a major city. Atlanta and Houston each have three teams (no hockey), and Seattle only has two and all of those are probably considered major cities on a national level (of course Seattle may gain another team or two in the next few years as they are actively pursuing NBA and NHL).

But it is tough to consider a city that doesn't have any pro sports as a major national city.

Geez I keep forgetting that LA doesn't have football..Absurd, but they do have 2 baseball and 2 BB and 2 MLS. Since NHL can be substituted with MLS Houston is a go. Atlanta gets a one time waiver for having the busiest airport.

Old 05-06-2013, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by birminghamster View Post
This is largely because of MSA's and CSA's being county-based. Those 1.4 million people don't all live in Greenville built-up area.
True...but that is true everywhere. Lots of outlying areas included in CSA and MSA figures are far from built up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area