Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2015, 10:12 AM

4,505 posts, read 4,617,056 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BishopRidge View Post
I really have rather netural feelings about Birmingham. I don't go into the city very often. I doubt it is really worse than most simularlly situated city's. It appears from what I have read on here that there is some desire to revitalize the downtown area. That's typical of most city's. The metro area has a lot to offer. I am aware of one side of the metro and there seems to be those who think other areas that I am not familure with are outstanding.

There are some who put it down for what went on during the 1950's and 60's and try and convince people it is a raciest city. But Birmingham has had an Africian-American mayor for decades and most if not all city council members are also Africian-American. The Police chief as well. I would dare say it has any governemtal anti-black elements any longer so don't let people fool you with that propaganda. I think Selma suffers from the same stigma and it has been controled by Africian-Americians politically for decades as well. The South has changed a lot.
Was Birmingham ever a majority white city when a black person became mayor?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2015, 03:31 PM

187 posts, read 214,446 times
It's not that it's that bad, it all depends on what you're looking for. If you want an Outback Steakhouse and Target you're good as long as you live in a suburb. If you want the latest concerts, sporting events, dining/shopping tends, you're going to be out of luck.

I know people are going to knock me for saying that about the food but Bham's new restaurants have been in other cities for years.

Papadeaux for example. Arguably one of the most valuable land sites in Alabama sat empty for about 10 years. This is not a new restaurant. It's old news and already in airports in major US cities.

Does that make bham bad? No but it's not a hot spot for your younger up-n-comers who want the latest. Now, people from AL or MS disagree and consider it a big progressive city.

But the saying is pretty true that Bham is behind the times in alot of ways currently. Steps are being taken and I hope they're done properly and not just wasted money.

Old 03-10-2015, 03:36 PM

11,787 posts, read 17,771,707 times
You have a silly hang up with a new recent chain restaurant as if that's all we have to eat. Birmingham's original food scene is on the national radar. And by original i mean Birmingham exclusive restaurants that aren't chains. Moderator cut: snip

Last edited by Keeper; 03-11-2015 at 05:47 AM.. Reason: don't call others names

Old 03-10-2015, 04:09 PM

187 posts, read 214,446 times
Look, truth. There is no food in bham that not very easily found in other cities. That's straightforward so maybe you'll not misunderstand. Stop reading al.com or Birmingham magazine. Sure there are some restaurants that got good reviews, but again, nothing special or bespoke.

Old 03-10-2015, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdawson1237 View Post
Look, truth. There is no food in bham that not very easily found in other cities. That's straightforward so maybe you'll not misunderstand. Stop reading al.com or Birmingham magazine. Sure there are some restaurants that got good reviews, but again, nothing special or bespoke.
We have beard award finalists and restaurants like Highlands, Bettolla and Hot and Hot Fish Club to name a few that are nationally recognized.

There's no food anywhere that can't be found in other cities. Its all about who does it better. Moderator cut: snippy

Last edited by Keeper; 03-11-2015 at 05:49 AM..

Old 03-10-2015, 10:11 PM

30 posts, read 43,518 times
Quote:
I am not from the Alabama, the south or the USA. And I have found the originality of Birmingham's restaurant scene to be among the best in this nation.

Old 03-11-2015, 02:00 PM

2,580 posts, read 2,485,733 times
Quote:
Outside of NOLA aka New Orleans and Memphis, neither of which are large major cities or metros, exactly what major Southern city has a distinct food scene? I mean that and prior statements can be applied to every Southern major city except those 2.

Old 03-11-2015, 02:08 PM

3,259 posts, read 3,770,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jero23 View Post
Outside of NOLA aka New Orleans and Memphis, neither of which are large major cities or metros, exactly what major Southern city has a distinct food scene? I mean that and prior statements can be applied to every Southern major city except those 2.
none really. but that isn't really the point. some people try to argue that birmingham is a culinary destination... and it just isn't. it does have lots of good restaurants... probably more than adequate for a city its size. but other southern cities have their own good restaurants as well without being culinary destinations. i don't think of nashville or charlotte or raleigh or orlando as culinary destinations, but they certainly aren't behind birmingham on that front either. orlando of course benefits from disney world and the tens of millions of meals served to tourists annually.

Old 03-11-2015, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveklein View Post
some people try to argue that birmingham is a culinary destination...
I see, so if someone like me responds to a guy who claims all we have are chain restaurants that every other city finds mundane, then that means they are arguing that Birmingham is a culinary destination. a mecca, or top tier - any of those C-D catchphrases that get tossed around in D-measuring contests between cities. But then you proceed to say the same thing I did, that Birmingham does have some unique restaurants, a viable foodie scene that gives it some character. Huh. I guess its all in the way you spin it. Our food scene HAS gotten national attention, and IS one of the draws as a destination. YOU may disagree, and that's fine, but your opinon is not fact.

Bizarre Foods America, for instance, did not come here to talk about Red Lobster and O'Charleys:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ngqppukpFDY

Old 03-12-2015, 08:15 AM

2,580 posts, read 2,485,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourian View Post
I see, so if someone like me responds to a guy who claims all we have are chain restaurants that every other city finds mundane, then that means they are arguing that Birmingham is a culinary destination. a mecca, or top tier - any of those C-D catchphrases that get tossed around in D-measuring contests between cities. But then you proceed to say the same thing I did, that Birmingham does have some unique restaurants, a viable foodie scene that gives it some character. Huh. I guess its all in the way you spin it. Our food scene HAS gotten national attention, and IS one of the draws as a destination. YOU may disagree, and that's fine, but your opinon is not fact.

Bizarre Foods America, for instance, did not come here to talk about Red Lobster and O'Charleys:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ngqppukpFDY
Yeah, if a cable network is doing a profile on a city's restaurant and dining scene then there is apparently a draw...thus Birmingham has some appeal and draw as a culinary and dining destination.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area